Jump to content
e30kawi

Leather or synthetic gear

Leather or synthetic  

13 members have voted

  1. 1. Looking for feedback on gear. Leather or synthetic and why?



Recommended Posts

e30kawi

Should be getting back on my feet and back onto a bike this summer. Had a bit of a crash almost three years ago that trashed me and the bike. The paramedics cut all my gear off, which was in great shape all things considered.

 

I'm going to be buying all new gear but gloves and boots. I had synthetic pants and jacket that got trashed. Didn't have them long so I didn't get much of an impression on them. 

 

Looking for some feedback as to getting leather or synthetic this time around from people in the know or have had a get off and their experiences. I've heard leather tends to slide and isn't as grabby on pavement.

 

I live in Texas, which is why I bought synthetic last time.

 

Thanks in advance guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
norcal616

I vote leather...my suit has held up to various crashes/scrapes from go karts, motorcycles, drag racing, near daily use, etc over the last 5yrs

 

Once the leathers start showing its "tattoos" it tells a story/history/conversation starter...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Benh972

There are people far more qualified than myself to answer your question, but I will do my best share what I can.  In my opinion the material used in riding gear is just one variable in the equation. 

 

Not all synthetics or leathers are created equal and it comes in various thicknesses.  Leather is tried and true, but it is also expensive. I think whats more important is to get whole body coverage. Mediocre gear all around is more effective than a super great jacket with no gloves, Levis, and Nikes.

 

I personally prioritize armor over abrasion resistance. Damage to the head, and chest is more likely to kill you, but your limbs are the most likely parts to get injured. I had a small accident, and my Lee jeans survived and I did not really lose any skin, but I had some very painful internal damage on my knee. I was crippled for about 3 months. I really wish I had had some knee armor on that night, I would not have missed as much prime riding season.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beemer

🤑🐄

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
topazsparrow

my buddy explained it like this to me.

 

Leather helps you slide and is generally pretty thick. Sliding at speed helps avoid injury to your limbs and twisting injuries on your spine.

 

Synthetics tend to grip and cause you to tumble or thrash around. Certain Ballistic Nylon's also have a tendency of melting if you do manage to slide on them. It'll wear out faster in a slide.

 

Some combination of the two is probably the most cost effective. Modern textiles have come a really long way as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cornerslider

I used to wear synthetic gear. I thought it was "cooler" (temperature)..... Then I started doing track days, where a leather suit is required. I bought a suit that was "perforated leather" (hundreds of tiny holes) for air flow. I learned that as long as I was going at least 20-25 mph, it was pretty cool. I have since parted ways with my synthetic street jacket, and replaced it with perforated leather-

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
e30kawi

That is my train of thought, never had a heat issue with the leather jacket I had. But bought a matching set of synthetics. Trying to weigh out the cost to benefit ratio between the two.  Not overly concerned about cost, but don't want to over spend if I don't have to

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zephyr

If I lived in a cooler climate then I would have voted (perforated) leather.  Tech textiles for me to allow for increased airflow and increased abrasion performance.  All my gear has max ce rated available armor so all the joints & spine have some level of impact protection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DewMan

Living in in the hot and humid climate of Florida, perforated leather seems to flow zero air in my limited experience. I'd be risking heat stroke in mid summer if I wore leather and didn't stop every 30 mins to hydrate.  I'm limited to mesh which at this point I only expect it to hold my CE2 pads in place long enough to impact the ground. if it lasts anything past that I consider it a bonus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shinyribs

I'll only wear leather gloves and boots and I love my leather jacket. I'm not sure I could ever do leather pants, though.

 

When it gets above 100° the mesh textile jacket comes out, though. I feel naked in it, but at least it's well armored. When it gets below 40° the textile 1pc insulated suit comes out. But a good 75%+ of my riding in done in the leather jacket and a pair of Dianese textile pants, and boy do they get ripe a couple times per year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
njdevils1990

My first motorcycle jacket.

alpinestars_gpr_leather_jacket.jpg
WWW.REVZILLA.COM

The Alpinestars GP R is a race-level jacket for the streets. Stretch panels...

 

My current jacket

 

revit_levante_jacket.jpg
WWW.REVZILLA.COM

¾ touring cut, 3 to 4 season functionality. The REV’IT! Levante...

With the high vis vest

revit_hi_viz_connector_vest_neon_yellow.
WWW.REVZILLA.COM

Designed to interface directly with REV'IT! jackets without interupting...

 

I'll likely be getting another leather jacket in the future.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
e30kawi

Cool deal, looks like I'll be getting leather. I never really noticed a temp difference between my leather jacket and the last textile jacket I had. I had a mesh jacket that I remember being cooler but that was almost 15 years ago.  Maybe I'll get a set of each.

 

Thanks for the input guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cruizin

I like leather, but it get's between 95 and 105 degrees here in the summer and there is no way one can ride for very long in leather in that heat.   

 

In spring and fall I wear the Klim Apex.  Its is a very well padded and protective jacket. It is also very warm with the liner in.  

With the liner out, there are a TON of vents in this jacket.  There are also a ton of hidden pockets. Also, it is comepletly waterproof Gortex.  Best jacket I have ever ever owned.

 

klim_apex_jacket.jpg
WWW.CYCLEGEAR.COM

The Apex Jacket is the highest-performing sport touring jacket Klim has ever offered. Providing best-in-class aggressive/sport style, unbeatable weather protection, impressive abrasion...

 

In the summer, for around town or short rides,  I wear the Klim Induction jacket. Klim's Karbonite mesh is the best there is. Very good ventilation, really good abrasion resistance.  

 

klim_induction_jacket_blue.jpg
WWW.REVZILLA.COM

Klim's Karbonite mesh provides loads of air flow and loads of protection. It's perfect for completing the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs.

 

But on long rides in the summer, I still usually wear the Klim Apex because of all the vents and the added abrasion and impact protection.   

 

Last summer a guy I know went down doing 45 mph wearing an Alpinstars mesh jacket and the Mesh burned into his skin and bone. He slid on his side and the mesh sleeve burned right off and the skin on his arm burned off and the damn mesh material fused with his skin and bone and he was in pain for months. 

 

Don't skimp on gear.  For me, Klim is the best.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ElGonzales

I did a little slide on ass, elbows and knees (left side, right side, i don't know how I managed that :D) last year when my front wheel lost grip in a ~40 mph corner. 80% asphalt, 15% grass and 5% traffic sign contact. 

I was wearing my good old Segura Reno leather jacket

 

WWW.MOTARDINN.COM

Segura Reno Jacket. Features: - Personnal Protection Equipment- EC / Shoulders, elbows and back- CE / 100 % waterproof leather- Fixed mesh, motorcycle

 

and a synthetic Vanucci Tour Fun for my legs

 

WWW.LOUIS.EU

Vanucci Tour Fun I Textile Trousers at Louis. Secure payment ✓ Free returns ✓ 2-year right of return ✓ » Buy now!

 

Of course some Daytona leather boots and gloves too. What should I say, it went very well. Just two little burned spots on the skin, wasnt even bleeding :D  I know you should replace your gear after such kind of stunt, but everything still looks fine, I couldnt believe it. 

 

Edited by ElGonzales

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fzar

This is what I wear when I ride: 

alpinestars_gpr_leather_jacket.jpg
WWW.REVZILLA.COM

The Alpinestars GP R is a race-level jacket for the streets. Stretch panels snug the armor and padding close to you, hugging you in protection.

Its out of production right now I think!! I much prefer leather even in 100F, to me it doesn't matter what I wear textile/leather I sweat a lot, which is good as thats whats cooling your body naturally. I drink about 3 liters+ of water a day, everyday and I rarely ride over a tank without taking fluids. The A*  jacket is slightly perforated and if you see the underarm stretch panels in the link photo they provide a ton of air. Don't get me wrong, i'd wear my textile below 40 with the liner but as was said by @shinyribs "I feel naked" without the leather and the much more protection the A* jacket has. (Its way better protection in the chest and back, regardless of being leather)

Here's the textile I have:

agv_sport_sniper_jacket.jpg
WWW.REVZILLA.COM

The Sniper Jacket keeps you warm during those cooler months especially when you have the insulated liner installed. Strategic zippered vents cool you.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
e30kawi
7 hours ago, Cruizin said:

I like leather, but it get's between 95 and 105 degrees here in the summer and there is no way one can ride for very long in leather in that heat.   

 

In spring and fall I wear the Klim Apex.  Its is a very well padded and protective jacket. It is also very warm with the liner in.  

With the liner out, there are a TON of vents in this jacket.  There are also a ton of hidden pockets. Also, it is comepletly waterproof Gortex.  Best jacket I have ever ever owned.  

klim_apex_jacket.jpg
WWW.CYCLEGEAR.COM

The Apex Jacket is the highest-performing sport touring jacket Klim has ever offered. Providing...

 

 

In the summer, for around town or short rides,  I wear the Klim Induction jacket. Klim's Karbonite mesh is the best there is. Very good ventilation, really good abrasion resistance.  

 

klim_induction_jacket_blue.jpg
WWW.REVZILLA.COM

Klim's Karbonite mesh provides loads of air flow and loads of protection. It's perfect for...

 

But on long rides in the summer, I still usually wear the Klim Apex because of all the vents and the added abrasion and impact protection.   

 

Last summer a guy I know went down doing 45 mph wearing an Alpinstars mesh jacket and the Mesh burned into his skin and bone. He slid on his side and the mesh sleeve burned right off and the skin on his arm burned off and the damn mesh material fused with his skin and bone and he was in pain for months. 

 

Don't skimp on gear.  For me, Klim is the best.  

You seem like a knowledgeable guy, never heard of klim but I will look into them. I think we have a cycle gear  in Austin that I can check them out. I appreciate it. I'm kinda looking for a do everything jacket, if possible. I work outside in a thick uniform and ppe all day so a hot jacket isn't the end of the world for me. But I'm liking all the feedback I'm getting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cruizin
1 hour ago, e30kawi said:

You seem like a knowledgeable guy, never heard of klim but I will look into them. I think we have a cycle gear  in Austin that I can check them out. I appreciate it. I'm kinda looking for a do everything jacket, if possible. I work outside in a thick uniform and ppe all day so a hot jacket isn't the end of the world for me. But I'm liking all the feedback I'm getting!

Klim is the leading provider of off road and ADV motorcycle, snomobile gear.  Their stuff lasts a long long time, is very protective. 

Come up here to Idaho, or Alaska you see the yellow Klim symbol all over the place because their stuff is made to survive use in the deep mountains.

 

The Apex and Apex air were their first venture into street bike jacket gear and its well worth the money. Go put on one, try to even find all of the hidden pockets, the quality felt will make up your rmind for you. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
e30kawi
4 hours ago, Cruizin said:

Klim is the leading provider of off road and ADV motorcycle, snomobile gear.  Their stuff lasts a long long time, is very protective. 

Come up here to Idaho, or Alaska you see the yellow Klim symbol all over the place because their stuff is made to survive use in the deep mountains.

 

The Apex and Apex air were their first venture into street bike jacket gear and its well worth the money. Go put on one, try to even find all of the hidden pockets, the quality felt will make up your rmind for you. 

I actually used to ride around Eastern Washington, Oregon, and Idaho. Loved it up there. Never paid atattention to what people were wearing gear wise👢

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
e30kawi
On 1/27/2019 at 7:06 PM, fzar said:

This is what I wear when I ride: 

alpinestars_gpr_leather_jacket.jpg
WWW.REVZILLA.COM

The Alpinestars GP R is a race-level jacket for the streets. Stretch panels snug the armor and padding close to you, hugging you in protection.

Its out of production right now I think!! I much prefer leather even in 100F, to me it doesn't matter what I wear textile/leather I sweat a lot, which is good as thats whats cooling your body naturally. I drink about 3 liters+ of water a day, everyday and I rarely ride over a tank without taking fluids. The A*  jacket is slightly perforated and if you see the underarm stretch panels in the link photo they provide a ton of air. Don't get me wrong, i'd wear my textile below 40 with the liner but as was said by @shinyribs "I feel naked" without the leather and the much more protection the A* jacket has. (Its way better protection in the chest and back, regardless of being leather)

Here's the textile I have:

agv_sport_sniper_jacket.jpg
WWW.REVZILLA.COM

The Sniper Jacket keeps you warm during those cooler months especially when you have the insulated liner installed. Strategic zippered vents cool you.

 

Fairly certain that AGV jacket is the one I had on when I had my crash. It would have been fine but the paramedics preferred to use their scissors instead of the zipper. I liked the jacket but was a bit hot in the Texas sun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.