The MT-07 Forum

Eibach/Race Tech spring on stock shock

firstyammerha

firstyammerha

787215811_500lb.RaceTech(Eibach)springonFZ07shockDecember2018.thumb.JPG.42b920028eb33c92b1901324ec46df14.JPGI picked up a Race Tech spring in the 500lb. rate with the intent of placing it on the stock shock. I've tried other older shock springs from eBay which were mounted on 1990-2000 Suzuki GSXRs. These GSXR springs narrowed down the rate for my style of riding and the piggyback 2000 GSXR1000 seemed to give me a nice cushy but controlled ride. No harsh bottoming out and no rebound kicking my butt off the seat. This would be my #2 shock/spring combination.But looking for perfection, I sprang for the Race Tech spring. I didn't have my FZ07 spring overall length in front of me at the time so I relied on the website recommendation for a replacement spring in the 500 lb. rate.This suggested their p/n SESP602250500. I bought the spring and a few days later realized that this new spring is 20mm shorter than stock. So when the spring arrived, I went to my friendly local sport bike shop and had them machine an aluminum  spacer to compensate for the difference in length. Looking at the web site again, I see there is a spring p/n SRSP5818089 that is much closer to the stock spring length. Race Tech would not authorize a return or replacement so this prompted the spacer fabrication decision($16.00). This spring was $140.00 with extra fees that were charged so be aware of this error on their web site. Lucky me though because this Eibach spring really balances out the suspension and by seat of the pants feel makes the fork work well. The fork now only uses about half its travel and the action feels semi-decent. I would rate this combination as the #1 for me and will stay on the bike for awhile. I've tried a 2000 GSF1200 Suzuki shock and spring and this combination would be my #3 choice if I did more aggressive cornering. It offers four rebound choices but no compression adjustment or reservoirs. Didn't have to swap springs or anything either.I tried to post pictures but my file was too large. 

Edited by firstyammerha
attache picture

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
firstyammerha

I don't know your weight or riding style but at 200lbs. and a solo street rider, it worked great for me. But thinking this over, I would buy a used GSF1200 shock and spring off eBay and remove the springs from the FZ07 and GSF shock and swap them. My data indicates the GSF spring is 500lbs. rate and the used shock on eBay was less than $50 as I recall.