The MT-07 Forum

Seat Maintenance

Stephenms

Somewhat of a weird title but I'm curious if anyone knows what material the outside of our seats are made of? Vinyl? Off-Brand leather? Pleather? Malnourished suede? Hand pressed alligator?

All jokes aside I'm mostly looking to put some UV protectant to prolongue the seat exterior. I'd like to know some specifics on the materials before I go spraying regular 'ol VLR all over it.

• Premium Member

It's real imitation pleather. 😁

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

I avoid putting any type of UV protection on the seats or grips other than the soap it gets when I wash the bike a few times a year... Seats should stay grippy and not turn into a slip-n-slide seat... 

As for UV protection for the body plastics and rims I use the "pink juice" from my buddies detailing shop- the "pink juice" is from USA Auto Supply Inc ... I usually give each bike a weekly wipe down using the "pink juice"... https://www.usaautosupply.com/product/classic-shine-wax-spray/... I dunno the cost as he gets it in big ole plastic drums... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I modded my seat and have topped it with a thin layer of neoprene foam. This gives great grip and I would now never want any kind of slippery seat again. 

Just do it! 

That's why I didn't mention armor-all or any of its products, it always leaves an oily residue. VLR tends to not do this but if there's a Motul product for UV protection that isn't oily I guess it couldn't hurt. Just didn't want to have a tough dry seat with the potential to rip, hence the question on material. Then again it's probably a material that doesn't absorb anything so a UV protectant is useless.

The neoprene cover sounds like a pretty good idea. 

Thanks guys. Feels good to be back on the forums!

If I am not mistaken, yamaha uses a blend of discarded seaweed wrap from sushi bars with dried apricot skins.  In a process they call and have patented syncoflatuancepressure they compress the 4 materials to a thickness of 70.4572 microns.  They then rub whale dung and ejact jucies to give it that Yamaha color. 
Fun fact, most dangerous job in japan is getting that ejact juices from a whale

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member

Never ever use armor-all on your seat... unless you like yourself and your pillion passenger slid up onto the tank with just the lightest of braking... Don't ask me how I know. 😯

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Archived