The MT-07 Forum

Looking For Sprockets

Blitz6804

The FZ-07 was the first motorcycle I've ever purchased.  Me being an idiot, I did my research online to find what to buy, and the first time I've ever sat on a motorcycle period was when I was taking delivery of my brand new, 0-mi bike.  Fast forward a year and a half, and I am still doing OK with it, but I am planning on keep tweaking little things here and there until I get comfortable enough riding to upgrade to a bigger bike.

After a year, I replaced the stock throttle tube with an R6 throttle tube to get rid of the slop that I feel I didn't need as I wasn't a beginner anymore.  This year, I've replaced the airbox with a DNA stage 2 and used an FlashTune ECU bench flash to give it a bit more zip.  Still to go is the installation of the Leo Vince exhaust I got for Christmas.  (No shops want to do it this time of year because they're busy with snowmobiles; we'll try again in March.)

Anyway... I am now trying to find out what sprockets and chain I should buy to make it a bit longer legged.  When I'm on the highway, my RPM is fairly high, and thus burning fuel, so I think making my front sprocket go up by one should help that, possibly making the back go down by one at the same time.  Trying to look at Revzilla is confusing... I don't know what front sprockets go with which rears... and don't even get me started on finding a chain!

Anyone have any pointers of which ones I should source?  I can likely get the shop to install the new parts while they're putting on the exhaust.  They'll also be installing the steel-braided brake lines I also got for Christmas.

I feel fairly confident that I can install a speedohealer myself, as I've installed the airbox myself, the battery tender, aux port, garage door opener, and flash tuner.  Any idea how far off our speedometers are from the factory before I touch any sprockets?  Are they consistent?

• Premium Member

With the OEM chain being 525 sized the aftermarket sprocket won't be as plentiful/cheaper as the 520 sized chains...  Even the new R1 use a 520 chain, why does the little FZ-07 need a stronger 525 chain??? Oooo Yamaha had left over part bin stock.... 

https://www.gearingcommander.com... nice little website to mess around with different sprocket sizes... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

As for sprocket choices- I prefer any that do not have the rubber chian noise damping abilities as that just makes the chain/sprocket send odd clunky vibration thru the bike vs the natural feel of a plain jane sprocket due to the way the chain rides on its rollers and not the chain links when used on a noise damping sprocket... I generally use OEM sprockets as they tend to last longer... Aluminum/hybird sprockets- are 1 time race use in my book... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I would definitely go steel... I don't need to be adding a broken sprocket to my list of things I worry about while riding.  It's bad enough I have to worry about people not seeing the neon yellow highlighter on the obnoxiously colored bike.  :P

Archived