The MT-07 Forum

Backpacks

GAZ

• Premium Member

Since some of us don't use tail bags or saddle bags. What backpack do you use on your bike? I will start it off with mine:

It's American Kargo Trooper backpack.

american_kargo_trooper_backpack_detail.jpg

It's extremely comfortable to wear and has a room to strap stuff down like my jacket and helmet. I can strap it down the the bike as well. I always carry a small tool set in it when I'm out riding. So what do you all have or use? What do you normally have in it during your drive? Show us you packs!

• Global Moderator

I bought a nylon "backpack" bag that folds up and fits under my pillion seat. It is great for when I unexpectedly pick something up at the store while I am out. It has cords that you can put your arms through to wear as a backpack.

I have 2 of them, I really like the Sedici brand. I have the Hydration backpack, and the Sicilia. I use the Hydration when riding most times, and take the water bag out when just riding out around town, I use the other for errands as it has more space.

I always wear one of them as I wear contacts and carry spare glasses, cleaning stuff, headphones, chargers, earplugs and my wallet in one of the pockets.

I bought a nylon "backpack" bag that folds up and fits under my pillion seat. It is great for when I unexpectedly pick something up at the store while I am out. It has cords that you can put your arms through to wear as a backpack.
I get so many of these at races... That's a great idea to keep one in the little storage compartment in case I need one.  Thanks for the idea!  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I have the Kriega R20 which is so well designed I forget I have it on sometimes. It's the smallest one, I think.

Illegitimi non carborundum

I have the Kriega R20 which is so well designed I forget I have it on sometimes. It's the smallest one, I think.
I've recently been looking into tail and/or backpack options from Kriega as well as Ogio.  I'll have to consider this American Kargo as well... So many good options! 

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Premium Member
I've recently been looking into tail and/or backpack options from Kriega as well as Ogio.  I'll have to consider this American Kargo as well... So many good options! 
It's decently priced. I didn't list all the features it has 2 spots for 2L bladder's routing lines along the straps. first aid pouch tool pouch, gun pouch, comes with built in mesh helmet holder, fleece lined optics pouch (for glasses not visors), laptop pouch (says 15" but my 15.6" Toshiba fits snugly with little bulge), just to name a few. Definitely worth looking into it. Only thing I didn't care for is Hydration pouches are sold separately and so is the rain cover. 

Guest August BB

I use this as my sort of high-vis jacket replacement:

icon_squad3_mil_spec_backpack_zoom.jpg

Also I like how it isn't a big backpack.

2 things I didn't know prior to owning a motorcycle.  Gravel/dirt/tar FLIES ONTO YOUR BACK!  I had no idea this actually happens.  But the very first day I put this on, I have 2 black permanent gravel marks on my pack.

Also had no idea how motorcycle gear/accessories/modifications are a form of extortion.  Everything is 100 bucks or more!  Ugh.

I also use the Kriega R20 with the 3L hydration pack. I love it. It is made specifically for bikers and you can tell. It fits perfectly on your back. You can hardly tell its there. @hbc, Kriega makes a smaller one, the R15.

• Premium Member

I just use a DC shoe co backpack. It has plenty of room but not too big. very comfy as well. also has the buckle that straps it across your chest so it doesn't go all flim flam around and fly off.

Check out my FZ07 YouTube Channel!! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClbkk7kPsXp-lhZ_XD_aFPQ

That American Kargo bag looks sick. Just looked at all the features and specs on their website, and it looks like a winner to me. Guess i'll have to put it on my "wishlist of random crap and accessories" for when I get my bike next year.

• 1 month later...

I use a Chrome Bag that is completely waterproof, reflective, expandable, and has compression straps to take any additional gear that might be too big or not fit. Oh and it's guaranteed for life.

The Bravo - night version

bravo_nightseries_hero.jpg
bravo_nightseries_v6_1.jpglink

i have a canvas and leather back pack i bought just cause after turning 30 i wanted more manly stuff so i been into heritage things for my son. room for my extra face shield a sweater and flashlights chargers cameras etc . and nicely crafted enough i believe with care ill pass it down to my son with stories to go with it. from wilsons leather.PastedGraphic-3_zps40d1e14b.jpg

• Premium Member
I use this as my sort of high-vis jacket replacement: 
icon_squad3_mil_spec_backpack_zoom.jpg

Also I like how it isn't a big backpack.

2 things I didn't know prior to owning a motorcycle.  Gravel/dirt/tar FLIES ONTO YOUR BACK!  I had no idea this actually happens.  But the very first day I put this on, I have 2 black permanent gravel marks on my pack.

Also had no idea how motorcycle gear/accessories/modifications are a form of extortion.  Everything is 100 bucks or more!  Ugh.

I really like this pack. Been looking for one and keep coming back to this one. 

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Guest August BB
I ended up cleaning off the gravel marks as best as I could with oxy-clean and then sprayed scotch-guard all over the yellow parts.  I'd recommend picking up scotch guard spray or something similar if you do get that pack.  Cover up the zipper and any plastic parts first though otherwise you get an ugly white film over it.

I carry a whole bunch of things in that pack. 

Security chain, disc lock, bikemaster flat kit, tire pressure gauge/misc tools, second pair of gloves (my other season gloves), ziplock bag containing first aid kit, money, zip ties, tissue.  2 33 gallon bags folded into football triangle.  I also store my helmet cam in there when not in use.

When I changed my oil, I emptied out most of the bag content to put in my gallon jug with the used oil to drop off for waste disposal.  Fit in there just fine despite being a smaller bag.

• Premium Member
I ended up cleaning off the gravel marks as best as I could with oxy-clean and then sprayed scotch-guard all over the yellow parts.  I'd recommend picking up scotch guard spray or something similar if you do get that pack.  Cover up the zipper and any plastic parts first though otherwise you get an ugly white film over it. 

Good to know! I liked it because its high viz its like a vest but functional. 

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

I use this inexpensive High Sierra "camelback" type.  They are narrow, yet roomy...especially if you remove the water bladder.  Always good to have the option of onboard water source here in the desert.  The pack even has some areas with reflective patches on them (safety third!) :D

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f118/guerro501/42e60c97-b0e5-4d72-8dca-af610fc42e6c_zps7561be3c.jpg

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

Greenhound386

Another vote for the Kriega R20. I have had the same one for over 6 years, and I use it for everything. Commuter pack, dirt bike, snowboarding, mountain biking, fishing and more. It has a small hole on the outside (aesthetic only) from where I accidentally leaned it against a hot exhaust pipe. It has been absolutely phenomenal. It fits well, and all of the zippers and buckles are in great shape and still fully functional. I've used it in a downpour, and everything inside stayed dry. I also have the US-10 Drypack that can either attach to the R20 or be used as a tailbag. I highly recommend getting the Kube Pocket as well, as this is a great way to add additional functionality to the backpack. I've been wanting to get another one for awhile, but it's hard to justify the need since this one has been working so well for so long.

2011 ZX-6R
2015 FZ-07

• Premium Member

Not necessarily motorcyclist specific but the Maxpedition Falcon II is my favorite bag when I need extra space or just packing a lot. The slim design, heavy duty materials and construction, plus the ability to expand or collapse the bag makes it motorcycle friendly.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/FALCON-II-BACKPACK-p110.htm

Everything went braap.

I'm pretty happy with the Ogio No Drag Mach5.  It's on the larger side, and I can fit my work laptop, cables, lunch, hydration pack, etc in it no problem.  One of my favorite features is that it has a holder for an extra visor for my helmet, so I can switch between day & night.  With this bag, there is no worry about forgetting to zip your bag.

OGIO-No-Drag-Mach-5-Rucksack-Stealth-Master-1.jpg

I used a back pack as a student ... almost 20 years ago. Tankbags replaced the use of a backpack. And since a couple of years, i use tailbags. But once in a while a use a Vaude Hyper Air back pack. It's under 20 liters. It has a little frame and mesh panel. I use it mainly for hiking. But, for motorcycling, it's way better that the backpacks i used in the past. It even has a rain cover in it.

Vaude Hpyer Air 14 + 3

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

Archived