The MT-07 Forum

Thinking about a track day?

mossrider

I got passed by a girl on a 125cc bike at thunder hill. Then a few years later she won Daytona 600 supersport...Elena Meyers...musta been about 12 or 13 at the time...me on SV650

• Premium Member
40 minutes ago, blackout said:

passed by girl.jpg

Girls have SERIOUS skills too!!! My wife (who never rode a motorcycle until 2014), started track riding in 2015. She used to refer to my track days as "riding in circles" (this was a sore spot 🙄).... Now, I can't keep her away! We do about 12-15 track events a year! 

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, cornerslider said:

Girls have SERIOUS skills too!!! My wife (who never rode a motorcycle until 2014), started track riding in 2015. She used to refer to my track days as "riding in circles" (this was a sore spot 🙄).... Now, I can't keep her away! We do about 12-15 track events a year! 

Lucky guy, you are!

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, blackout said:

Lucky guy, you are!

Be careful what you wish for 🤣..... I thought the same thing- until I realized my track days just got TWICE as expensive 🙄!!!! I guess there are worse problems to have 😎👍-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Agree, most riders looked more like my C group pace with poor lines. Tyler and the guy on the Ducati she was chasing and then let her pass, appear to be the few at a B pace. It's a bit humbling and cool when I get passed by a girl.

• Premium Member

I have done 2 track days with the local dealership but its not for me, to me there is more than 1 line around a course... 

On another  note does this count as a track day ??...it's got tracks 😆

https://www.dtvmotorcorp.com/dtv-shredder/

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
howworkclutch

If i can just add something i learned- Some of the trackday organizers have an introductory session for free. I can't recommend doing this based on my experience.

I went to an intro wondering if trackdays were for me. The intro didn't really answer this question. It seems it was designed to answer the question "is this group for me?", which implies knowledge of trackdays.

Our small group of introductory riders was put through a terrifying pace. It was not a good experience. Don't get me wrong- getting high-fived on the paddock for stepping out the back at 110mph was kinda cool but for someone who never rides that aggressively it was absolutely off-putting. The organization want to give the impression that they're a cool/fast/fun group who isn't going to hold you back. Thats cool for someone who is

looking for a new organization to ride with. Not cool for a fledgling trying to find their way.

Even though my first experience was harrowing, i talked to some other riders and found that the general consensus was: that organization wasn't the best. I rode with another org the following weekend (same track) and absolutely had a great time. I picked up a lot of confidence and made a bunch of new friends. Now i have a new hobby (i have 20 trackdays scheduled in 2019!)

I'll probably buy a dedicated trackbike for 2020. To be honest, i wish i'd done this stuff sooner.

-HowWorkClutch

Just now, howworkclutch said:

If i can just add something i learned- Some of the trackday organizers have an introductory session for free. I can't recommend doing this based on my experience.

I went to an intro wondering if trackdays were for me. The intro didn't really answer this question. It seems it was designed to answer the question "is this group for me?", which implies knowledge of trackdays.

Our small group of introductory riders was put through a terrifying pace. It was not a good experience. Don't get me wrong- getting high-fived on the paddock for stepping out the back at 110mph was kinda cool but for someone who never rides that aggressively it was absolutely off-putting. The organization want to give the impression that they're a cool/fast/fun group who isn't going to hold you back. Thats cool for someone who is

looking for a new organization to ride with. Not cool for a fledgling trying to find their way.

Even though my first experience was harrowing, i talked to some other riders and found that the general consensus was: that organization wasn't the best. I rode with another org the following weekend (same track) and absolutely had a great time. I picked up a lot of confidence and made a bunch of new friends. Now i have a new hobby (i have 20 trackdays scheduled in 2019!)

I'll probably buy a dedicated trackbike for 2020. To be honest, i wish i'd done this stuff sooner.

Glad it all worked out in the end for you. To bad about the bumpy start but you stuck with it and now have a great new hobby. Enjoy!

p.s. I can hook you up with a great MotoAmerica legal track FZ07R next off season. Wink.

• Premium Member
howworkclutch
16 minutes ago, mossrider said:

I can hook you up with a great MotoAmerica legal track FZ07R next off season. Wink.

does it come with trophies? if so, how much for just the trophies? 😋

-HowWorkClutch

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, mossrider said:

p.s. I can hook you up with a great MotoAmerica legal track FZ07R next off season. Wink.

I'm not looking for the trophies unless they're my own! I want to know, does it come with RAM-AIR included? @mossrider

I'm going to hopefully do a few track days this year, at Hallett, Oklahoma. http://www.hallettracing.net/events/  kids activities permitting and all I can say is i've no idea what to expect.!! If it turns out I'm not comfortable with a situation/pace I'll hang my left leg out and/or raise my left arm and let them all pass me (safely as can be) and pull up the tail end of what I feel I can do. I get the mindset your talking about @howworkclutch and that's really annoying. I do realise that that stuff happens, but I have to bring me home, maybe in some injured parts (hopefully not) but alive is paramount. The bike on the other hand, is just a bike.

BTW I have no intention of riding MotoAmerica, I'd like to know how the setup feels vs. almost stock on DOT's.

Archived