The MT-07 Forum

MT/FZ 07 VS R6

Vex

Hello,

Let's start with my questions, why does the r6 have such a higher top end speed, why is a inline v faster than a parralell twin of equal CC? how does torque play into this? And can us 07 guys ever beat the R6 guys anywhere in the gears?

What I know, parallel twins put out more low end torque while sacraficing top end speed. Inline 4 engines take more time to get up to speed yet they top out and rev super high. I feel as if the gain on the 0 to 60 on the 07 over the r6 is not equal to the amount of top end power they gain. Any info much appreciated, especially if you've ridden both bikes and have a good comparison for me. Thank you for taking time to read and help satisfy my curiosity.

• Premium Member

Nice article @latexoma

Personally I prefer an engine like the Yamaha CP3- best of both worlds such as torque from a twin with the ability to spin like an 4 banger...

As for a rider on an FZ-07 vs an R6 duking it out- depends on the "nut" that connects the handlebars to the foot controls  and the combat arena(s) they picked 😆

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I add this to my FZ and I got three sillyders and man I go so much faster

Vroom.jpg.ef9ea38c205aa5d7912bcc371d679e74.jpg

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

1 hour ago, r1limited said:

I add this to my FZ and I got three sillyders and man I go so much faster

Vroom.jpg.ef9ea38c205aa5d7912bcc371d679e74.jpg

It doesn't make a difference if you pull over before the finish. 😂

Beemer

• Premium Member

Having owned both, I can tell you the FZ-07 is MUCH more fun!!! The FZ is much easier to ride, as you have a much broader power spectrum. The R6 is much harder to ride "fast", as it has a narrower (yet more powerful) power spectrum. By "power spectrum", I'm referring the the rpm range where the bike makes peak power. I don't ride sport bikes on the street anymore, so my perspective may differ from street riders. I can tell you that I hated my R6.... I didn't like it on the street, I didn't like it on a smaller track. I was told I need to take it to a "big track", and I'd love it..... I tried that, and I hated it so much that I put it back in the trailer half way through the day, and headed for home.... (I sold it the next day). Two years later, I have my FZ-07 on that same track, and couldn't stop smiling!!!! It was just easier to ride, and the power was more manageable. It was just more fun having torque doing the work, and not having to live between 12,000-14,000 rpm all the time! I heard a quote from a racer friend of mine: "Horsepower sells parts, TORQUE wins races"..... 😎

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member

the little CP2 motor will benefit quite a bit from an aftermarket airbox such as a Hordpower Airbox...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

Here is a yellow FZ-07 vs some rice rockets and some hybirds on oval course duking it out...

😂🤣😂

There is something really fun about hanging off the side of the fz07 on a turn. You might be going faster on the r6 but it just feels different

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, norcal616 said:

Here is a yellow FZ-07 vs some rice rockets and some hybirds on oval course duking it out...

😂🤣😂

I've seen that video before, and LOVE ❤️ it!!! Some guy with ZERO pride, skinny tires, and MAD SKILLS, absolutely "schools" the competition!!!!! To me, that doesn't look like an FZ-07 motor though? Granted, it is a parallel twin! NOT wanting to start an online argument, but the cases/head don't look "FZ-07" to me? At any rate, what a total bad-ass rider!!!! 😎👍-

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, norcal616 said:

the little CP2 motor will benefit quite a bit from an aftermarket airbox such as a Hordpower Airbox...

I did the Hordpower airbox on mine, with his map on my PCV..... HOLY-RIP-MY-ARMS-OFF-BATMAN!!!!!! By far the BEST $300 I've ever spent on my FZ-07-

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, cornerslider said:

I've seen that video before, and LOVE ❤️ it!!! Some guy with ZERO pride, skinny tires, and MAD SKILLS, absolutely "schools" the competition!!!!! To me, that doesn't look like an FZ-07 motor though? Granted, it is a parallel twin! NOT wanting to start an online argument, but the cases/head don't look "FZ-07" to me? At any rate, what a total bad-ass rider!!!! 😎👍-

Not even an FZ-07... Just a little lie 😁...but it was one of the first videos to cross my mind when thinking of FZ-07 vs R6 duking it out... And as a bonus you get to see 3-4 different riding styles and how they work for that type of motorcycle...

But I think them rice rockets would be easier to keep speed if they ran the outside line rather than the "race line" 

"Horsepower sells parts, TORQUE wins races"..... 

I can attest to the non truth of that.

I used to race my VTR250 against CBR250RR's on a tight track ( only one small straight). 25HP vs 45HP but literally twice the torque.

I was faster than almost everyone through the corners and initially out, but almost every time we would hit the straight they would blast past, and it was a VERY short straight. Admittedly they also have multilink rear suspension ( VTR is single pivot)  and their back would stay on the deck better into the end of straight corner which helped.

I know what I prefer on the road though. Midrange every time over top end.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived