Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tannwilder

Scraped Exhaust on Bump Q

Recommended Posts

tannwilder
Posted (edited)

Hi All,

 

I have 2018 MT-07.

 

A couple days ago I slightly scraped the bottom of the exhaust when riding over a sun glared hidden bump on the road.... not cool. 

 

After I went over the bump I noticed that the ride felt just a little off. 

 

There are 2 parallel notches directly under the bike on the exhaust and one of the notches is scraped - but that's it. 

 

How do I get the bike back to the original feel? is it costly? should I just get used to how it is now?

 

Thanks,

 

Edit.. found a cracked fork I think. 

 

Edit... not a cracked fork that’s how it’s supposed to be lol.. pinch bolt. I didn’t know the forks were different. 

 

Edit. Added the scrape photo

 

 

 

48FB0D94-44DD-4A63-9BFE-91B4178773B6.jpeg

Edited by tannwilder
Added photo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
norcal616

-Check for damages to tires/rim and air pressure

-Check alingment of forks to bike

-Check swingarm bushings for damages

 

Edit: check to see if any wheel weights came off... 

  • Like 2

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beemer

I would also assume that the shocks bottomed out hard for that to happen and there could also possibly be internal damage to the forks. 


Beemer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tannwilder

Thanks for the replies all. I added the photo of the crack. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
r1limited

Ride over the same bump in reverse twice as fast

That will work


“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tannwilder
9 minutes ago, r1limited said:

Ride over the same bump in reverse twice as fast

That will work

Thanks bro... You decided to wake up this morning and troll.. good for you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
r1limited
47 minutes ago, tannwilder said:

Thanks bro... You decided to wake up this morning and troll.. good for you 

No way man, I decided to give proper science as a reply.  Google is your friend


“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mossrider
Posted (edited)

That's not a cracked fork. That's the split that allows the pinch bolt to function as a pinch bolt.

 

It would be unusual to hit a bump in a roadway disastrous enough to cause much, if any, damage to your bike. There would have been other wreckage, parts and/debris laying there from all the other vehicles claimed at that site. It is quite possible you rotated control levers from the force of the bounce, slightly bent the bars, bent a footpeg downward, busted some cords in a tire or jarred a wheel weight off. Something minor. Give the bike a good look or have a trusted mechanical friend do so. 

 

I've jumped mine several feet after going off course and slamming into a gigantic anthill and only rotated the levers downward a bit.

 

I think you'll be ok.

 

Btw, the factory service manual specifies the exhaust as a lift point for service due to its strength.

Edited by mossrider
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tannwilder

Yeah very big noob here so I appreciate the help guys. I thought it was a cracked fork lol... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
r1limited
21 hours ago, tannwilder said:

Edit. Added the scrape photo

 

 

 

48FB0D94-44DD-4A63-9BFE-91B4178773B6.jpeg

First those are not notches, those are welds, the scrapes as you cann them would be impossible to make unless your bike was side ways.  You can clearly see then on the inside of each weld not at the bottom as one would expect to see.  Like the crakd fork your a tad mistaken on what you are looking at.  As seen in my stock 2016 these run side to side (Foot Peg to Foot peg) not lined frint to back.  So I find it interested the shiny part I see are inside.  not facing the front, see kick stand for reference.


So I am not sure what you mean by a little off or for that matter the concern on the marks in the weld.  As mentioned, if you hit the bump hard enough, your bars may have moved in the mounts downward giving you a different feel.

 

Welds.jpg


“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beemer
18 hours ago, mossrider said:

That's not a cracked fork. That's the split that allows the pinch bolt to function as a pinch bolt.

 

It would be unusual to hit a bump in a roadway disastrous enough to cause much, if any, damage to your bike. There would have been other wreckage, parts and/debris laying there from all the other vehicles claimed at that site. It is quite possible you rotated control levers from the force of the bounce, slightly bent the bars, bent a footpeg downward, busted some cords in a tire or jarred a wheel weight off. Something minor. Give the bike a good look or have a trusted mechanical friend do so. 

 

I've jumped mine several feet after going off course and slamming into a gigantic anthill and only rotated the levers downward a bit.

 

I think you'll be ok.

 

Btw, the factory service manual specifies the exhaust as a lift point for service due to its strength.

 The exhaust as a lift point. Learn something every day. Thanks for the info.


Beemer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DewMan
4 hours ago, Beemer said:

 The exhaust as a lift point. Learn something every day. Thanks for the info.

I think I'll stick with my paddock stands just to be safe. 👍

  • Like 2

DewMan
 
Just shut up and ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fzar
8 hours ago, Beemer said:

 The exhaust as a lift point. Learn something every day. Thanks for the info.

Its true, crazy thought in your head but it is true. Better than using the oil sump if ya have to get it up off the ground and don't have your stands handy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DewMan
6 minutes ago, fzar said:

Its true, crazy thought in your head but it is true. Better than using the oil sump if ya have to get it up off the ground and don't have your stands handy.

Agreed. but using either makes me cringe.

That's why I splurged on the centerstand as my second mod for my bike after the tail tidy. IMO a center stand should still be standard equipment on all non-race bikes. Just like full size spare tires should still be standard equipment on all cars and trucks. Not this crap 12v inflator with a canister of fix-a-flat they use these days. I couldn't  believe I was wishing for an emergency donut tire when I bought my last new car.

 

Sorry for the hijack.  SQUIRREL! 😁

  • Like 1

DewMan
 
Just shut up and ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
r1limited
15 hours ago, fzar said:

Its true, crazy thought in your head but it is true. Better than using the oil sump if ya have to get it up off the ground and don't have your stands handy.

Wait, what?

You mean flippng it upside down like when I had a schwinn to work on the wheels is wrong?

Damn it


“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  


×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.