Jump to content
Vex

Kept up with a GSXR 1000

Recommended Posts

Vex
Posted (edited)

I'm on a 2018 MT 07. My best friend rides a  2012 (i think) GSXR 1000 touring model. Back in my HD days I couldn't keep up no matter how recklessly I rode. Surprisingly, my MT 07 put up a fight (until about 95mph). My buddy been riding for 25 years and rides like a man with a mid life crisis and nothing to lose. We rode from Orange county, through Ortega (I kept up the whole way we took this a little slower) hit the 15S, and went all the way down to oceanside through deer springs road. One thing I noticed while riding with this lunatic was that I was grateful to have ABS. There were a couple instances where he would blow through the yellow light, I'd be about 15ft behind and would have to abruptly brake at the light (75 to fully stop in 15ft). If I was on my harley I would never attempt such a stop, my tires would surely skid. I'd pin it and pray. On my 07 my ABS kicked in I felt it and let me stop comfortably and abruptly. Aside from stopping, my acceleration was on par with his for the most part (winding it out) and was able to stay within 6ft of his bike for the bulk of.the ride. The only times he lost me was over 95mph and at a couple lights due to his reckless disregard for my safety. Alas  I enjoyed every damn second of this ride, truly. It was a 6 hour adventure and the MT 07 held up beautifully. More than enough power, hit 110mph no problem, and fairly quickly. I hit twisties lower and faster than my.buddy as well. I even led a couple times. Next time we ride we will switch bikes and I'll post a nice comparison of the differences plus n minus. Useable power is more fun imo. The end.

 

Note: in a race I'm fully aware he would smoke me, different class of bike. But I'm just saying this lil 07 held up beautifully. 

Edited by Vex
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
r1limited
Posted (edited)

Vid or it never happened

 

I ride an R1 and the FZ. unless your equal riders there is no fraking way the FZ would stay up even at and upto 95 to a liter bike like the gixer.  For the record your buddy is an idiot

Edited by r1limited
  • Like 1

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vex

The quarter mile is pretty accurate for both bikes. 

Screenshot_20190104-150816_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190104-150746_Chrome.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vex
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, r1limited said:

Vid or it never happened

 

I ride an R1 and the FZ. unless your equal riders there is no fraking way the FZ would stay up even at and upto 95 to a liter bike like the gixer.  For the record your buddy is an idiot

Yeah there is no doubt in my mind if we were on a track hed smoke me up and down the board in every gear, no argument there. On the streets it's a little different especially when you're riding WITH someone not AGAINST someone. We ride every day and my 07 keeps up just fine until about 95  hahaha, it's probably just the way we ride together, been doing it for years on various bikes, mostly harleys. And for the record yes my.buddy is a damn lunatic.

Edited by Vex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Littlebriar

I took that trip on a big BMW 1200RT last winter. I did it alone but I was pushing hard. The bike is quick but I would love to bring my fz-07 next time I go out west. I live in Michigan but want to take the FZ out there to ride those incredible canyons. Maybe next winter.... 


Steve, 2017 Yamaha FZ-07, 2016 BMW 1200RT, Harbor Beach, Michigan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beemer
14 hours ago, Vex said:

Yeah there is no doubt in my mind if we were on a track hed smoke me up and down the board in every gear, no argument there. On the streets it's a little different especially when you're riding WITH someone not AGAINST someone. We ride every day and my 07 keeps up just fine until about 95  hahaha, it's probably just the way we ride together, been doing it for years on various bikes, mostly harleys. And for the record yes my.buddy is a damn lunatic.

I can see an 07 keeping up with a liter bike on the streets for this reason alone. *Most people aren't launching from every stop light as though they're at a drag strip nor are they winding their bikes out up to red line and giving it full throttle through every gear. Granted, the 07 rider is probably closer to giving it full throttle than the liter bike guy just to hang close to him but it is doable. In a drag race a GSXR1000 is probably going to start walking away from an 07 somewhere around 2nd gear when it turns into a missile. 

 

Tip: this is just some friendly, 'read between the lines', advice. Do with it as you wish. I road with a guy once that liked to hang close to me and twice on a ride he shot past me hard on the brakes after I'd started slowing down. He nearly hit me both times. He was obviously too close and not paying attention. In hopes of keeping Michelin tires on the outside of me arse, I haven't ridden with him since. Stay safe and frosty!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rick

A Gixxer "Touring model" ?  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
r1limited
3 hours ago, rick said:

A Gixxer "Touring model" ?  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kind of why I called BS


“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rick

I've an '89 Gixxer 750 in my garage. It's riding position isn't just committed, it's unforgiving.  Yer feet are back, yer knees are way up high and yer hands are down - waaayy down and out. Makes my neck hurt just thinking about it. 

 

The 1000s might have been a weeee  bit more relaxed, but not by much. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beemer
17 hours ago, rick said:

I've an '89 Gixxer 750 in my garage. It's riding position isn't just committed, it's unforgiving.  Yer feet are back, yer knees are way up high and yer hands are down - waaayy down and out. Makes my neck hurt just thinking about it. 

 

The 1000s might have been a weeee  bit more relaxed, but not by much. 

 

 

There ya go! A wee bit more relaxed = the touring model. The GSXR, the R stands for relaxed. 😉

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vex
Posted (edited)

That's the bike. It sits better than most I've sat on and does longer rides w ease n comfort. Whatever version this is, people.use them for touring all the time... 

Screenshot_20190106-164920_Facebook.jpg

Edited by Vex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cruizin
On 1/4/2019 at 1:03 PM, Vex said:

I'm on a 2018 MT 07. My best friend rides a  2012 (i think) GSXR 1000 touring model. Back in my HD days I couldn't keep up no matter how recklessly I rode. Surprisingly, my MT 07 put up a fight (until about 95mph). My buddy been riding for 25 years and rides like a man with a mid life crisis and nothing to lose. We rode from Orange county, through Ortega (I kept up the whole way we took this a little slower) hit the 15S, and went all the way down to oceanside through deer springs road. One thing I noticed while riding with this lunatic was that I was grateful to have ABS. There were a couple instances where he would blow through the yellow light, I'd be about 15ft behind and would have to abruptly brake at the light (75 to fully stop in 15ft). If I was on my harley I would never attempt such a stop, my tires would surely skid. I'd pin it and pray. On my 07 my ABS kicked in I felt it and let me stop comfortably and abruptly. Aside from stopping, my acceleration was on par with his for the most part (winding it out) and was able to stay within 6ft of his bike for the bulk of.the ride. The only times he lost me was over 95mph and at a couple lights due to his reckless disregard for my safety. Alas  I enjoyed every damn second of this ride, truly. It was a 6 hour adventure and the MT 07 held up beautifully. More than enough power, hit 110mph no problem, and fairly quickly. I hit twisties lower and faster than my.buddy as well. I even led a couple times. Next time we ride we will switch bikes and I'll post a nice comparison of the differences plus n minus. Useable power is more fun imo. The end.

 

Note: in a race I'm fully aware he would smoke me, different class of bike. But I'm just saying this lil 07 held up beautifully. 

Ive seen FZ07's pass 150 hp bikes in the canyons, twisties. It's all about the rider.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beemer
15 hours ago, Vex said:

That's the bike. It sits better than most I've sat on and does longer rides w ease n comfort. Whatever version this is, people.use them for touring all the time... 

Screenshot_20190106-164920_Facebook.jpg

 

 

 

Looks to me like a GSX1000F. It appears it would be more comfortable and with ergos for touring but sorry, it's not a gixxer. It missed being a Gixxer by one letter. Nice looking bike, though and prbably more comfy than my FZ-07.> (seat shape/pegs back)

 

 

 

 

exterior-abs1.jpg

 

Edit: I say nice but it's lacking a nice v-twin with grunt down low. If only they would stuff a nice (not boring) 1000cc twin in this package.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rick

good call  - yeah, gone be way more comfy - the bars are inches above the tree instead of clamped below.

 

Did you say  twin? Hmm, Got me one from 2002. Even came with hard panniers that snap on/off with ease. Maybe the most comfortable seat ever plunked onto a motorcycle. 

 

 

fut0201.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beemer
27 minutes ago, rick said:

good call  - yeah, gone be way more comfy - the bars are inches above the tree instead of clamped below.

 

Did you say  twin? Hmm, Got me one from 2002. Even came with hard panniers that snap on/off with ease. Maybe the most comfortable seat ever plunked onto a motorcycle. 

 

 

fut0201.jpg

Looks pretty sweet and the seat looks comfy but for me, and not knocking the bike, I see much neck pain with that bike. I have to be more upright, that's just me. I bet you're loving it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rick

Back in the day, lots of guys put Helibars on to raise the bars up and back an inch. I've added 1/2" spacers under the bar mounts. There are even 1" lower pegs available for it. 

 

That F model Suzuki looks to have a very similar riding position - the bars are a solid 6+ inches higher than the seat. As long as the reach forward isn't too far, think you'd be surprised by how natural it feels once you get used to leaning forward a touch. It can be surprising comfortable - especially when yer ass isn't screaming in agony. 

 

The downside for that Aprilia of mine is it's a bit porky weight-wise (530 wet w/bags) and for those who complain about reaching the ground on the FZ - well, my 28" inseam says with a fairly high and wide saddle and weight that's carried up,  in traffic, the FZ is like riding a little kid's bike

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beemer
4 hours ago, rick said:

Back in the day, lots of guys put Helibars on to raise the bars up and back an inch. I've added 1/2" spacers under the bar mounts. There are even 1" lower pegs available for it. 

 

That F model Suzuki looks to have a very similar riding position - the bars are a solid 6+ inches higher than the seat. As long as the reach forward isn't too far, think you'd be surprised by how natural it feels once you get used to leaning forward a touch. It can be surprising comfortable - especially when yer ass isn't screaming in agony. 

 

The downside for that Aprilia of mine is it's a bit porky weight-wise (530 wet w/bags) and for those who complain about reaching the ground on the FZ - well, my 28" inseam says with a fairly high and wide saddle and weight that's carried up,  in traffic, the FZ is like riding a little kid's bike

 

 

 

If I didn't have arthritis I would be alright with leaning forward more than I already do. I wish I could, I have ridden bikes that were more aggressive with lower bars and I liked them, I felt like Joe Rocket leaning forward but the lifting of the head and keeping it in that position for too long to look straight ahead causes too much pain and stiffness. I'll trade ya necks! 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DewMan
11 minutes ago, Beemer said:

If I didn't have arthritis I would be alright with leaning forward more than I already do. I wish I could, I have ridden bikes that were more aggressive with lower bars and I liked them, I felt like Joe Rocket leaning forward but the lifting of the head and keeping it in that position for too long to look straight ahead causes too much pain and stiffness. I'll trade ya necks! 😉

https://www.jpcycles.com/sons-of-arthritis

 

😁

  • Haha 1

DewMan
 
Just shut up and ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.