Vex

Has anyone gotten the dreaded "death wobble" at higher speeds?

gregjet

Any bike will get a death wobble if you have stiff arms. ANY bike. The Twist of the wrist vids have some references to it.  The whole point of a caster steering tandem axle 2 wheeled vehicle is that it damps and transverse steering input. ( see pendulum axis).

Having said that there are a number of culprits if it persists and you arms are nice and floppy. Tyre/wheel  balance, rear shock preload too high, steering head bearings too loose or tight , bent fork legs, wheel bearings front and back or swingarm bearings ( a favourite of the ancient and venerated Yamaha RD350). or even poor chassis design ( not on this little black duck of a bike).

Still most likely stiff arms...

• Like 2

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

On youtube they do have an MT-07 getting the death wobble on the highway and going down.

topazsparrow

Death wobble will become more frequent on the 07 once the headbearings start to wear out. It's got a steep rake and a short wheel base.

That being said, any 07 in good conditions with stock suspension geometry shouldn't death wobble. Mine does feel very light and twitchy at speed though. I can make it wobble to the point it feels like I'm gonna come off, but the second you stop giving it input it self corrects and goes straight. It's just nervous and twitchy at speed.

A front tire with a wider profile seems to help calm it down.

• Like 1

shinyribs
1 hour ago, topazsparrow said:

I can make it wobble to the point it feels like I'm gonna come off, but the second you stop giving it input it self corrects and goes straight. 

Agreed. The bike doesn't inherently want to wobble. It's one of the most stable bikes to ride with your hands off the bars. Any death wobble would be rider induced.

DewMan
8 hours ago, topazsparrow said:

Death wobble will become more frequent on the 07 once the headbearings start to wear out. It's got a steep rake and a short wheel base.

That being said, any 07 in good conditions with stock suspension geometry shouldn't death wobble. Mine does feel very light and twitchy at speed though. I can make it wobble to the point it feels like I'm gonna come off, but the second you stop giving it input it self corrects and goes straight. It's just nervous and twitchy at speed.

A front tire with a wider profile seems to help calm it down. 

Agree about the head bearings. The OEM bearings are not top tier on any factory bike.  I plan on upgrading to equivalently sized tapered bearing when the time come to replace them.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Laben

Once, in fact it was the day I bought the bike. It was a three hour ride home and cold as balls. My big winter jacket was the culprit though! The damn thing would catch the wind in a weird way and cause my whole torso to wobble which in turn made my bike wobble a good bit. I know this isn't the high speed "death wobble" but it was a wobble that scared the death out of me lol.