The MT-07 Forum

Has anyone gotten the dreaded "death wobble" at higher speeds?

Vex

Any bike will get a death wobble if you have stiff arms. ANY bike. The Twist of the wrist vids have some references to it.  The whole point of a caster steering tandem axle 2 wheeled vehicle is that it damps and transverse steering input. ( see pendulum axis).

Having said that there are a number of culprits if it persists and you arms are nice and floppy. Tyre/wheel  balance, rear shock preload too high, steering head bearings too loose or tight , bent fork legs, wheel bearings front and back or swingarm bearings ( a favourite of the ancient and venerated Yamaha RD350). or even poor chassis design ( not on this little black duck of a bike).

Still most likely stiff arms...

• Like 2

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 5 weeks later...

On youtube they do have an MT-07 getting the death wobble on the highway and going down.

topazsparrow

Death wobble will become more frequent on the 07 once the headbearings start to wear out. It's got a steep rake and a short wheel base.

That being said, any 07 in good conditions with stock suspension geometry shouldn't death wobble. Mine does feel very light and twitchy at speed though. I can make it wobble to the point it feels like I'm gonna come off, but the second you stop giving it input it self corrects and goes straight. It's just nervous and twitchy at speed.

A front tire with a wider profile seems to help calm it down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topazsparrow said:

I can make it wobble to the point it feels like I'm gonna come off, but the second you stop giving it input it self corrects and goes straight. 

Agreed. The bike doesn't inherently want to wobble. It's one of the most stable bikes to ride with your hands off the bars. Any death wobble would be rider induced.

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, topazsparrow said:

Death wobble will become more frequent on the 07 once the headbearings start to wear out. It's got a steep rake and a short wheel base.

That being said, any 07 in good conditions with stock suspension geometry shouldn't death wobble. Mine does feel very light and twitchy at speed though. I can make it wobble to the point it feels like I'm gonna come off, but the second you stop giving it input it self corrects and goes straight. It's just nervous and twitchy at speed.

A front tire with a wider profile seems to help calm it down. 

Agree about the head bearings. The OEM bearings are not top tier on any factory bike.  I plan on upgrading to equivalently sized tapered bearing when the time come to replace them.

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

Once, in fact it was the day I bought the bike. It was a three hour ride home and cold as balls. My big winter jacket was the culprit though! The damn thing would catch the wind in a weird way and cause my whole torso to wobble which in turn made my bike wobble a good bit. I know this isn't the high speed "death wobble" but it was a wobble that scared the death out of me lol.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Wintersdark

Never even a little bit on my 2018 over it's 12k, and I have it over 110mph pretty much every day.  I often ride in very, very high winds too - upwards of 60mph.  You have to deal with buffeting though, of course, and adapt to how you may well need to ride at a noteable angle to ride straight.  

These are very, very stable bikes at speed, so long as your bearings are in good condition, your tires are properly inflated, and your arms at loose.  

Not sure what caused this, but it's a tank slapper.

The crash is in the first few seconds of the video.  Slow it down to 25% and you can see it better.  The rest of the video is pretty much aftermath.

11 hours ago, rider said:

The crash is in the first few seconds of the video.  Slow it down to 25% and you can see it better.  The rest of the video is pretty much aftermath.

You always feel fine when you're in shock and the adrenaline and endorphins kick in. You can bet he felt that later.

• Like 3

Beemer

He put the front wheel down crooked from a wheelie at 90, of course he will go into a tank slapper and crash.🤬

Got to stop wheelying on public roads and running from the cops.

Makes us all look bad.☹

• Like 3

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

• 3 weeks later...

To the OP,  if you ride your MT-07 within the legal speed limits (okay, and a little more) and do not drop it from a wheelie like the cat above at near 90 you should be good. 

That fellow did not have on gear, no jacket, no armored pants, no proper shoes and yes, he needed to go to the ER. That will take a long time to heal up in more ways than just fixing the motorcycle. 

I have tried to figure out wobble, it happened badly to me once on a Kawasaki H3. Never had it occur on any modern motorcycle, Gxer 600, various Suzuki SVs, none of my Hondas. I think there  is a feedback mechanism in play here the rider, trying to fight it actually is adding to it. Dampers supposedly  will help. Loose head bearings will do it. In fact, this can happen on a bicycle with similar results. 

The MT-07 is not designed for triple digit speeds, it does start feeling light on the front as the speeds come up. I do not think the MT-07, would be prone to wobble on it's own but dropping it out of a wheelie, uh, yep, that might just do it. ATGATT! All the gear, all the time. 

Edited by 3crows

cheesecakesucks

My MT-07 will sometimes weave/wobble at speed; in fact, it got a bit scary yesterday when I did a tunnel blast and it started weaving (worse than I'm accustomed to) on the way down with wide open throttle. I didn't try to fight it, and gradually closing the throttle and even using the front brakes a little didn't upset it. It didn't stop weaving until I was below 160 km/h (was doing > 190 km/h). The oscillation frequency felt like it was in the neighbourhood of 4 Hz.

backwheelben

Ive had it before when doing a wheelie and dropping the front wheel slightly to one side at about 80mph ! In one of my videos u see it at 12:19 I pop a wheelie and when the tyre hits the road again I got a wobble 😯

1 hour ago, backwheelben said:

Ive had it before when doing a wheelie and dropping the front wheel slightly to one side at about 80mph ! In one of my videos u see it at 12:19 I pop a wheelie and when the tyre hits the road again I got a wobble 😯

Can you point out where in the video you got the "death wobble" so we don't have to watch 15 minutes of video? Thanks!

Beemer

backwheelben
33 minutes ago, Beemer said:

Can you point out where in the video you got the "death wobble" so we don't have to watch 15 minutes of video? Thanks!

As I said mate.. 12:19 I popped a wheelie and when the front tyre touches down the handlebars wobbled! Nothing major just a little wobble

32 minutes ago, backwheelben said:

As I said mate.. 12:19 I popped a wheelie and when the front tyre touches down the handlebars wobbled! Nothing major just a little wobble

lol! Sorry, still on my first cup! 

Ok, watched it but that's just a common wobble you get from dropping the tire so hard. I get that if I change directions quickly at highway speeds and they usually right themselves very quickly. Careful though, if you keep wheelieing like that you just may experience a real one and regret it. Scroll up and watch the  video clip that @rider posted on June 3 to see a genuine, full blown, death wobble, it's at the very beginning. GL, take care! 

Beemer

backwheelben

haha no worries man! Tank slappers are some scary shet.. defo always safer to do balance point wheelies instead of chaser wheelies !

• Like 1

• Premium Member

So I'm reading all these posts about wobbles etc and high speed runs and wheelies etc.... 

Are y'all wearing full gear when attempting these risk enhancing maneuvers? I really don't want to read where any of you biffed it and took more damage than you had to. ✌️

• Like 3

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

vroomvroom
On 6/2/2019 at 10:22 PM, rider said:

I remember seeing this. I think the kid just finished a wheelie prior to the video starting. 

• Premium Member

I like chicken strips.  So they are also very fat and plump on my tires.  "A man got to know his limitation", as Clint used to say...

BUT, wheelies on a wet road (1:47)? WHY?  He got out of the wobble ok  but I think the road behind him was more wet afterward.

I think I'll stick to my fat strips... 🐔🐔

Marco

• 8 months later...
The Pioneer

At speeds around 60+ I occasionally get a little wobble when I hit a bump and it's scary at first, but I think it's just an initial wobble from the bump and not a continuous death wobble so I don't worry about it happening anymore, I just trust that the bike will correct itself. I'm not sure I make sense or if I'm just being ignorant.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, The Pioneer said:

At speeds around 60+ I occasionally get a little wobble when I hit a bump and it's scary at first, but I think it's just an initial wobble from the bump and not a continuous death wobble so I don't worry about it happening anymore, I just trust that the bike will correct itself. I'm not sure I make sense or if I'm just being ignorant.

Is it a left-right shake or more of an up-down shake? You shouldn't be getting a "wobble" at any speed.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.