The MT-07 Forum

Break Caliper Rebuild Frequency

Surfdad

Hey Folks,  just wanted to check with everyone else.  I'm about at the 2 year mark on my FZ-07 and I'm getting ready to change the brake fluid, when I read in my manual that it's suggested to redo the internals of the calipers and master cylinder every 2 years!  The attached screen grab is from the Online Manuals website, but my hardcopy manual has the exact same verbiage.  Is anyone actually rebuilding their calipers after only 2 years, if there is no leaking, etc?

49522155_2093134830744171_3036773226685399040_n.jpg

Short answer.....No. Keep the fluid changed and you won't need to.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

On 1/2/2019 at 1:15 PM, peteinpa said:

Short answer.....No. Keep the fluid changed and you won't need to.

Dont agree, I do in principle as example if you are a causal rider few K per year, yearly bleed yes, every two years rebuild no, I agree can be much much longer.  Hard drivin canyon dancer yup rebuild every 2 or 3 years.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

9 minutes ago, Kyuzo said:

Is there a good rebuild kit? Or stick to OEM parts...

OEM for OEM, Upgrade = Brembo as example

OEM ackage will come with pistons, seals and grease.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

OEM ackage will come with pistons, seals and grease.

Wheres a good place to get the OEM kit?  Also need one for 2012 r6

I disagree with the 2 year rebuild. I would consider that to be life expectancy of parts on $50 Chinese pit bikes. 

If you flush your fluid yearly you will easily get 8-10 years. Easily. If you ride in lots of wet and dirty places and you don't make a point of cleaning around the pistons dust seals they may go away faster, but two years is nuts IMO. I can't even kill a dust seal on a dirt bike in two years. Hell, the stock seals on my '83 CB are still holding pressure! ( though I wouldn't ride brakes that old).

As far as kits go, I only use oem or k&l. I've tried to use rubber bits from AllBalls several times and they never fit. The Chinese bearings they remarket are fine, but their seals are junk, and I'll stand by that.

2 hours ago, AlbatrossCafe said:

Rebuild  the internals? What does that even mean? Machine the pistons smooth again? Replace spring clips?

It just means new seals. I've seen plenty of 30-40+ year old bikes with good, usable pistons. You'll never wear a piston out. Only corrosion from lack of periodic cleaning or poor storage will hurt them, basically. 

15 hours ago, shinyribs said:

If you flush your fluid yearly you will easily get 8-10 years.

Hummm

My experiance is no matter how many times you flush there will always be spuugee that forms in the calipers.  I for one rely heavily on my brakes, they are what I deem to be pretty damn inportant.  I do not disagree entirlty, but at 8 years your pushing the envelope IMO. 

15 hours ago, Kyuzo said:

Wheres a good place to get the OEM kit?  Also need one for 2012 r6

Bike bandit, Revzilla now, Etc or your local Dealer.  I picked up mine at cheapcycleparts they were $10 cheaper anywhere I could find

Archived