The MT-07 Forum

What weight and amount fork oil?

peteinpa

I'm 330 lbs, and already have a K-tech shock on the rear.

I've got Race Tech 1.0 KG/mm fork springs coming and want to go to thicker oil with it.  Service manual has stock at 10 wt. at 162 mm level.

The UK MT-07 site did a great You Tube video on the forks and they said anyone over 85 kilos (190 lbs) should go with 20 wt. fork oil set at 130 mm.

Here I've never seen anyone go with 20 wt., 15 being the heaviest.

I want to do this once only so what weight and height?

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

I live near pattonme, and he did my forks. I weigh 240, and we went with a 90 and a 95 spring, and a mix of 10w and 15w oil in about a 50/50 ratio. He used a 167mm level. It works great for me - Serious difference! It's enough of a difference that I have no desire to up the cash for cartridges. Heck, it was only $80 for the springs, plus the oil and Matt's labor which was very reasonable.

I was hopeing for more than 1 response, I did a lot of searching, a lot was lost during the forum changes.

Geuss I'll go with Race Tech recommendations of 15wt set at 130mm.

Too many variables to answer the question, I would suggest go with what is suggested in weight as you decided.  The amount is really your comfort, as example you may add a mm or two more or less.  Look real simple really:

1. Are you racing the bike?
  2. Are you tracking the bike?
  3. Are you commuting on the bike?
  4. Are you long distance rider?
  5. Are you a canyon dancer?

All of this is pertanant when dealing with suspension.  Suspension is pretty simple, if you are on the road all the time and commute/tour standard will work.  If your more inclinced to be a canyon dancer and more agressive then that setup changes.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I'm pretty much regular street riding, with some spirited cornering. This is PA, hardly a straight road around except for interstates.

Center stand makes all the difference working on bikes. Piece of wood and jack under front of oil pan and both wheels are off the ground.

Bike is already back together, bouncing it standing still it's stiffer, feels good. Have to wait for a a warmer/dryer day to try it out. COME ON SPRING.

8 hours ago, peteinpa said:

Geuss I'll go with Race Tech recommendations of 15wt set at 130mm.

I've gone with RT's recs many times before and been fine. In fact even when I tried to outsmart them I usually ended up back, or close to, where they said to start.

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 4:02 PM, FZ07R WaNaB said:

I live near pattonme, and he did my forks. I weigh 240, and we went with a 90 and a 95 spring, and a mix of 10w and 15w oil in about a 50/50 ratio. He used a 167mm level. It works great for me - Serious difference! It's enough of a difference that I have no desire to up the cash for cartridges. Heck, it was only $80 for the springs, plus the oil and Matt's labor which was very reasonable.

Hey, could you put up a link for those springs, I need to get some. Much appreciated! 

Beemer

Archived