The MT-07 Forum

Hard Start

truthiness

My bike consistently takes over a second (almost 2) to start up, whether cold or hot. Most of the videos I have seen of this bike show almost instant starting. ..has anyone else experienced a slow ignition or have an idea of what the problem is?

Mine seems to labour for most start ups as well, I think maybe because they used such a small battery to save weight it is the bare minimum CA/CCA needed to start it. I might be totally wrong just saying.

2015 Matte Metallic Grey FZ-07

I hate to wait for mine to start (don't ride it everyday and two seconds are too long) so now I just push start  :D .Just kidding,I notice since day one that it does take a second or two to start on cold engine ,warm engine not a problem she comes alive right away.I also own a 2006 yamaha majesty that does same exactly thing,so I figure it must a yamaha thing plus I read that many people are having same issue ,to me as long as she starts it's not a big deal ,if it would take more than let's say 4 or 5 seconds than I would definitely have dealer take a look. 

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Yes. It does seem to take longer than a few moments of cranking to start. It always starts though.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Mine is a bit slow to fire, but no worse than my last Suzuki,
anyway it gives the oil pressure a little longer to get up.
One strange thing mine seems to do, not quite certain yet,
is if you turn on the ignition with the bar switch set to run/on
you hear  the injection pump prime as expected, but if the
bar switch is set to stop it dosent again expected but if
you then leaving the ignition on turn the bar switch to run/on
you don't hear the pump prime, engine still starts but on all
my other injected bikes the pump as run, it could be it is holding
enough pressure in the system so it does not need to prime
I will have to check for certain what is going on.

Well on the starting issue, it is getting cold around here in DC, and I have noticed that when I start it in the morning or evening after work, when it has been sitting in the cold awhile, it starts quickly enough, but the engine light stays on with a high pitched 'whining' noise. Caught me off guard a couple of times and I quickly switch it off.

So when it is turned on, certain elements of the bike are cycling through for the start up. After that is finished, if I quickly try the start, the cycling noise that you hear persists with the engine light staying on. This has only happened in the cold. I think the battery is not warm enough and not providing the correct amperage or something. If instead, after the cycling is finished, I give the battery about ten seconds to warm up and then thumb the starter, there is no issue. Only happened twice or thrice when I quickly start it up after cycling in the cold.

Thanks for the responses, all. I figured it wasn't a big deal, but I am a very particular person and want to be sure that everything is well with the bike.

These engines are fitted with a automatic decompressor,
maybe that as some effect on the starting but I honestly
dont think theres anything to worry about.

• 2 weeks later...

When the clutch is pulled in it retards the ignition timing a few degrees,
so if you are having slow starts it may be worth trying it with clutch
in and out see if it makes any difference.

• Premium Member

mine is slow to start as well. i always start with clutch out (lever not pulled in), in neutral. I figured it was because of the battery...either mine was weak, or they put small batteries in from factory. An upgraded battery is on my list of wants. I'm sure it will fix the issue instantly.

Check out my FZ07 YouTube Channel!! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClbkk7kPsXp-lhZ_XD_aFPQ

• 3 months later...

When you go to start the bike the starting procedure should be.

Turn key to on and let FI fuel pump, go through a pressure cycle before starting, once the fuel pump has stopped making a sound, a second later you are ready to start.

Archived