The MT-07 Forum

Excellent ride !

Guru

• Global Moderator

I am racking up the miles. By the looks of it, I will have to schedule the first service next week. And I just picked it up on Thursday.

I just got back from an excellent ride. I took the wife out to dinner and although I am still breaking her in (the bike that is) I wanted to take the bike to the restaurant and she happily agreed. Good thing my wife is 'petite' so the bike wasn't struggling with the extra weight.
She as impressed with the seating position, the location of the passenger pegs and overall feel of the bike. I know it is not a serious bike for driving with passengers but I am happy to report that is very doable. 
We ended up driving home in the dark and the headlight performs well. The pass switch (high beam signal) also comes in handy to warn cagers to dim their lights. 

I am beginning to like this machine more and more!

Here's another picture. Not related to to post but everybody likes pictures. I know I do.  :)

IMG_0900.jpg

• Premium Member

That's great Guru! I put over two hundred kms on today heading up north to a friends cottage then back home this evening! Did the twisty road by her place but it is still in rough shape after hard winter here and lots of sand. Was ok made me slow down and practice handling the bike well. Ride home after some swimming and great dinner was awesome really like the weight and power of the bike. Getting used to the naked wind feel coming from a sport faired bike! And every time I look at it love the look! The general comment I get from everyone is it looks bad-ass! Not bad for a 50 year old engineer geek!

Guest montana07

I don't expect to take many riders but it's good to hear she does alright.

How many miles are they calling for for the first service?

• Global Moderator
... The general comment I get from everyone is it looks bad-ass! Not bad for a 50 year old engineer geek!
I get the same!  I went for a quick hair cut at a little village nearby (i will see if I can find a picture) and he went outside to take a look. At first he thought it was a BMW lol.  Kids also seem to like the style of the bike...  

• Premium Member

OK so here is one and I'm not a big Batman fan but was told it looked like a Batman bike and now that I think about it that is actually sorta really cool!

• Global Moderator

That's a compliment, I can see it being matt grey.
I had one guy saying it looked dorky and that he thought it was missing a rear fender. But the guy has no taste so even that is a compliment too

• Global Moderator

Today I might go to Ottawa. It is beautiful out there and I really need a potato peeler. It is a bit of a drive but the store is totally worth it.
As some of you may know I am a chef and I buy my knives at Knifewear.  
Lets just say I like Japanese precision instruments.  (:))

• Global Moderator

What a day.

I headed to Ottawa and and with the fuel consumption Kipawa is averaging I thought I would take it easy and see if if I could improve on my 45 mpg. It is a bit of a drive and on the way up I got almost 56 mpg, way better but still not impressive considering I was babying it. I kept it just over 100 km/h (63 mph) and tried not to overtake too much. I scored my potato peeler (see picture).
On my way back home the wind was really picking up which pretty much killed my average so I ended up doing 52 MPG. I am hoping that after it's first service it will improve, not that fuel consumption is very important. In the end it is all about having fun.

The Good

I was a nice ride, I added 226 km today and now I have 652 km on the odo. First service will be at 1000 km so if I keep it up that will be the end of the week. Which is fine because...

The Bad

In the city the bike stalled twice. Some of you may know that the bike is prone to stalling and there is a lot of discussion on what that could be. I think that it has to do with the break in period. Maybe the tick over is slightly lower due to the engine oil or something. I am sure it wasn't user error, I was driving slow in traffic in the process of shifting when it suddenly died. Letting go of the clutch in gear it fired right up. Shortly after it happened again.
I will address this when it goes in for service.

The Ugly

When I got home I parked the bike on the lawn. As I said the wind really picking up. Sitting on our deck I suddenly heard a thump. I looked up and saw the the bike was on on its side. The wind pushed the bike off its stand and tipped it over. I had put the bike in neutral when I parked it and one gust was enough. I was horrified. Luckily it was on grass and the damage is minimal, just a bent lever. I fixed it right away, so all is good. No scratches or broken pieces.

IMG_0919.jpg

Guest montana07

First I've heard of the stalling issue as well, any links for reading Guru? And glad to hear the bike is alright after the tip over

• Global Moderator

Well, I have seen discussions on other forums that I rather not promote to much.

But what it boils down to is that some bikes (not all) have problems with the bike spontaneously stalling. Usually in heavy traffic, warm weather and during waiting at a traffic light. Riders have their bike in neutral, light goes green, engage the clutch and shift in first and the bike goes dead. Some people blame user error but I believe that is not the issue.
There have also been reports that after the first service the problem goes away. It could be that the dealer changes something (like idle speed or maybe fuel management) or it could be that different oil is used. Some people even say that the bike is transformed after the first service.

There are some that cry out that Yamaha should do a recall, which I think is overreacting.

Guest montana07

Interesting, I'll watch out for it. Also, Newbie Question: wouldn't it be better to keep the bike first with the clutch in at lights? I'd imagine it would improve reaction times in situations where you're at risk to be rear ended.

TwistedTorque
Interesting, I'll watch out for it. Also, Newbie Question: wouldn't it be better to keep the bike first with the clutch in at lights? I'd imagine it would improve reaction times in situations where you're at risk to be rear ended.
That would be safest sure. But I will admit I sometimes put the bike in neutral and relax my hands while at a light. I won't do it until I see a row of cars stopped behind me though. I actually know in some states its technically illegal to have both hands off the handlebars. I don't know that anyone actually enforces it just a random fun fact. 

• Global Moderator
.... wouldn't it be better to keep the bike first with the clutch in at lights? I'd imagine it would improve reaction times in situations where you're at risk to be rear ended.
I'm not expert, but I agree with you. I've been riding for 25 years and I always keep the bike in first. My stalling issue was in full flight, when engaging the clutch to change gear.

• Global Moderator

On a totally unrelated point, but since you posted a picture, why do chefs use the potato peelers that are like yours? I have always had the ones that are straight (it looks more like a knife) and it seems to me the y-shaped ones would be harder to use.

BTW, glad to hear that your bike is okay.

• Global Moderator

Good question! I have both, but I do prefer for some reason to use this shape. I also use it for softer fruit, like mango and kiwi and I notice that if I use a straight one they tend to bruise more. But I don't know, you got me thinking.

Guest brickst3r

Glad your bike is ok guru. Gotta get that first scratch our of the way and now you won't baby it as much. :P

dang guru im jealous. putting on the miles. i'll just have to live vicariously through my forum mates until i get the call.;-]

My motorcycle riding teacher was adamant that you never ever leave it in neutral while sitting in traffic!!

If stopped on the street, we always had to be in first gear, and right foot on the brake to light-up the brake light, with eyes in the rearview mirror. You have to be ready to pull away quickly.   And no chit chat at the lights if riding with someone else.

• Global Moderator
My motorcycle riding teacher was adamant that you never ever leave it in neutral while sitting in traffic!! 
If stopped on the street, we always had to be in first gear, and right foot on the brake to light-up the brake light, with eyes in the rearview mirror. You have to be ready to pull away quickly.   And no chit chat at the lights if riding with someone else.

I heard the exact same thing yesterday from my neighbour who just came back from a motorcycle course. Finally got confirmation that I have been doing it right all along. 

First post dede!  Welcome, If you like, you can introduce yourself here   ;) 

• Premium Member

Agreed on being in first until I have a cager fully stopped behind me then I will give my clutch hand a break and switch into neutral. BTW toe tapping the rear break until you know that cager has seen you and you are sure he/she stopping.

• Global Moderator

Took the bike out for a little spin today because the weather finally cleared up. Almost hit a deer. A small bambi size one jumped out of nowhere and couldn't make up his mind where to go. It took a right, and I swerved to the left.
It was on one of the main roads so I was travelling at a higher speed, maybe 120km/h (75mph). Nothing happened, but it sure got my adrenaline going.  :o

I'm at 750km now, so the first service is in sight.

Archived