The MT-07 Forum

Should I have purchased an MT/FZ 09

Vex

Okay, so let me start by saying I absolutley love my 2018 mt 07. I just cant seem to shake the tiny bit of buyers remorse for not getting the 09. 0 to 60 on the 07 is amazing. Actually, 0 to 80 is great, but 80+ seems to be a significant drop in power. I live in socal and the avg hwy speed is 85. It may take a couple extra seconds but I can get 100+mph if I have to.  Is the 09 a HUGE jump above the 07? I've been researching the triumph street triple R as well. Did i buy the wrong bike? Will i always be plagued by thoughts of a faster bike? Do the aforementioned even have useable power off of a track (my thought when I made my purchase). Is my bike in the same category as the lowly R3 =[ . Any advice, insight, commentary, all appreciated!

There is  comparison with a Triumph Daytona on here somewhere. That stopped me worrying whether I should consider one their triples.  You could of course go for the MT-10 and perhaps never want for anything else. 

Just do it! 

You are going to get a lot of replies on this one, but let me say.... you have got a heck of a case of buyer's remorse!!!

Many folks on this forum have asked the same question, and here's some reading for you, and there is a lot more:

https://fz07.org/forums/thread/1578/torn-fz07-fz09/

https://fz07.org/forums/thread/5097/fz-07-09/

https://fz07.org/forums/thread/5585/advice-fz-07-09/

Now here's something else for a read.... a cautionary tale about what can happen if you get caught driving at high speed:

https://fz07.org/forums/thread/3563/bad-decision-paying-big-time/

There's a lot to be said about riding a quick bike fast versus riding a fast bike quick.

Enjoy!

I used to wonder the same thing as you. I always had so much fun on the fz but not having the top end speed really bugged me. So I bought a Daytona 675. To be honest unless you are drag racing someone all the time you won't notice the missing top end. I spend the majority of the time on my Daytona going the same speed as I I would on my fz. It's really nice to do a top speed run on the highway every once in awhile but you'll spend much more time in speedd that the fz can handle. and plus doing 80 on the fz feel so fast lol. I barely feel like I'm moving when I'm going 100+ on the Daytona. 

• Premium Member

I used to have a Honda CBR250 that I really liked, and was very economical, but very underpowered. Even so, I didn't notice the lack of speed too often. When I got my FZ-07, I might notice a lack of acceleration above 75mph, but I'll never get another bike just to go faster that the FZ-07.

I rode my ninja 250 for 115,000 miles over the last 7 years and before that I raced 200hp superbikes all over the world, as someone who knows both extremes no you aren't missing out on much at all on the street.  Now on a track it's a different story but from the sound of it with your experience it's not the size of the motor you'll miss on the track but the style of bike in general. 

With all that said until someone experiences 200hp or at least enough to scare themselves they'll always wonder what it would be like to have more.  If you didn't think that way I doubt you'd be on a bike in the first place. 

I desperately wanted and 09 and had basically no knowledge of the 07. Test rode an 09 and hated the handling. Totally lost the mood to buy a new bike. The dealer suggested I try an 07, but I blew it off as a little bike and figured it'd handle the same as the 09. Went home and did some reading on the 07. Went back to the dealership for a test ride and knew I was gonna buy the 07 before I got out of 3rd gear. Bought it on the spot. 

The 09 is,and always will be, more powerful. But there's so much more to a bike than hp. My 07 is my favorite bike of all time and I don't even care for modern bikes. If you truly just want a fast bike, get a MT10 , Ninja 1000 or some other liter bike.  There's tons of bikes out there that can whip an 09. 

Thank you for all honesty guys. I spent the day riding through Ortega and have decided that the 07 is the bike for me, at least for the next couple years. I did the ride flawlessly and the 07 handled the twisties extremely well. Best time I've had in a while, I even passed a R6 on the way up. On the way back I was on the 15 and was merging as a semi was coming up on me at about 85. I pinned it in 6th and by the time I looked in my mirror (one one thousand two one..) I was going 110 and the semi was far behind me. I dont see any reason why I should be going faster than that 😂👊

I'm starting to feel like it was an ego thing, and if that's the case then it wouldn't be rational to have a 1000 or anything in that realm. I dont go on the track very often and when  I do I'm normally alone. And since I dont plan on out running the cops anytime soon,  I dont see a reason for a faster bike.

Also, random, but I've smoked every harley I've ever pulled up next to at a stop light. 0 to 60 in 3.3 is no joke lol and i love it. I'm officially at peace with my purchase and I'd post a pic but this 2.93mb cap wont let me. It's dark blue and sexy as hell✊

Yep, when they disappear in the mirror quick you know it's fast enough. If you ever doubt your bike's acceleration over 85 mph. ever again don't struggle with the wondering, just get one of these immediately and lay your worries to rest. This is the monster that appears in all Harley nightmares. 

Just listen to that beast!

Beemer

8 hours ago, Vex said:

Thank you for all honesty guys. I spent the day riding through Ortega and have decided that the 07 is the bike for me, at least for the next couple years. I did the ride flawlessly and the 07 handled the twisties extremely well. Best time I've had in a while, I even passed a R6 on the way up. On the way back I was on the 15 and was merging as a semi was coming up on me at about 85. I pinned it in 6th and by the time I looked in my mirror (one one thousand two one..) I was going 110 and the semi was far behind me. I dont see any reason why I should be going faster than that 😂👊

I'm starting to feel like it was an ego thing, and if that's the case then it wouldn't be rational to have a 1000 or anything in that realm. I dont go on the track very often and when  I do I'm normally alone. And since I dont plan on out running the cops anytime soon,  I dont see a reason for a faster bike.

Also, random, but I've smoked every harley I've ever pulled up next to at a stop light. 0 to 60 in 3.3 is no joke lol and i love it. I'm officially at peace with my purchase and I'd post a pic but this 2.93mb cap wont let me. It's dark blue and sexy as hell✊

If you think ortega hwy is a fun twisty road just wait till you ride on something actually twisty.  I don't even bother with ortega because it's too wide open for me. 

1 hour ago, RojoRacing said:

If you think ortega hwy is a fun twisty road just wait till you ride on something actually twisty.  I don't even bother with ortega because it's too wide open for me. 

I'm thinking about hitting Julian next, I've ridden Ortega alot commuting, I'd like to go somewhere new to explore. Know any good spots in socal? 

Only on a on a bicycle but I do tend to descend faster on my bike then most do on a motorcycle. I’ve been meaning to head up to Big Bear soon, maybe if I don’t head back up north this weekend I’ll do at least one day on the moto around SoCal. 

The canyons our in Malibu are pretty sick but I worry about cops in such a popular riding spot. I did a 200 mile bicycle race up down and all round those mountain 2 years ago and was in heaven on every down hill.  You could just ride the first 100 miles of that route and meet your quota of twisty roads for that month. 

45 minutes ago, RojoRacing said:

You could just ride the first 100 miles of that route and meet your quota of twisty roads for that month.

You West Coasters should come East if you want REAL twisties....  Check out the Tail of the Dragon with it's 318 curves in 11 miles!!! Heck, it's got it's own Wiki page!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMzodo-nsGc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deals_Gap,_North_Carolina

My  2 cents.

Im 6'. 

I dont like going on the freeway with the FZ07.

But i bought to ride on 99% streets.

Reason being, the stock bike's compact upright ergo isnt setup for freeways. 

To me its too twitchy after about 70.

Depending on you size you will need to adjust handbars and suspension to get it locked in.

If you want something where you are 90% Freeways then yeah something bigger or with longer wheelbase , and better suspension would be better for your confidence on a 5+ lane freeway going 85+.  Espeically something more aero dynamic such a SS or SS touring. 

One other thing I would look into is the XSR900 its has better suspension.

• Premium Member

Both the CP2 motor and CP3 motors are pretty equal to half track (1/8 mile) after that the CP3 pulls ahead... 

I would say the FJ-09 is the better bike over the FZ-09... But both the FZ -07 and FJ-09 suit each other like ying-yang...

BTW I know the CP3 motor can easily push the bike to 150+ and why not find a back way home instead of using the freeway...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I currently have a 2017 MT-09 and a 2016 MT-07 in the garage. In response to your question “ Is the 09 a HUGE jump above the 07? “   I’d say there is a big difference in power and the triple spins up quicker. Does that mean I like it better, or that it’s more fun? Hell no. Both have a lot of torque and are a blast to ride in most any circumstance. 

For reference, two summers ago I had a 2014 BMW S1000R, 2013 Duc Hypermotard 821, 2014 KTM 1190 Adv, 2014 Yamaha FZ-09, and a 2009 Yamaha Tmax in the garage at the same time.

The BMW was an excellent bike, but I’m not a fan of wide between the legs in-line 4’s. By far the fastest bike I’ve owned, still miss the cruise control and quick shifter, but for me, it wasn’t fun to ride. The Hypermotard was fun, but too many reliability issues. The KTM was very quick as well, but top heavy, and I don’t tour. 

The point is there are a lot of bikes out there, but unless you live with them you’ll never really know what is the best fit for you. If the MT-07 clicks most of the boxes you made a good choice, and a monkey can go fast in a straight line. 

Too many people confuse high performance for fun in my opinion, the higher performance it has the better and more fun it must be. For me, I like good value and the FZ/MT’s are great bang for the buck, and Yamaha reliable, but great fun too.

'16 Yamaha FZ-07, '15 Yamaha FZ-09

• 2 weeks later...

You'll always be plagued by the feeling of "should you have bought a faster bike". 

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• 2 weeks later...

The first two months of owning my 2017 in Rapid Red I was all about the bike. I soon got just extremely bored with riding and somewhat disappointed in myself for my purchase, telling myself I should've spent my money elsewhere. I kept riding though, through thick and thin kind of thing. Now here we are 9 months later and I haven't driven my car in just as long. It's the ups and downs of riding. It's almost a therapy at this point. I wouldn't trade the FZ for anything.

I just ordered an Akrapovic Carbon full system so that'll bring a whole new twist to the bike. I use it to commute every day for work, not too far. 20 miles a day with some "after work" sprinting around town. My coworker has a 2004 CBR600rr and I give him a run for his money all over town. On the highway after 105, he's gone.

Archived