The MT-07 Forum

Best 2 Smokers from 1980 - 2000

r1limited

https://motocrossactionmag.com/best-two-stroke-dirt-bikes-from-1980-2000/

In the 80s to 2000 the big four really had a hold on all matters dirt.  Gone or Going was Husky Maico, CZ, Ossa, Montessa, Bultaco and a few others.  I cannot argue the bikes in the article where better or worse, at the emerging tech it really became a "What Color Do you Like" or brand loyalty.  It became the Rider, not the bike that dominated, and factories that had the Wards, the Hannah's etc won as plain and simple as that.

Me I rode big bore 400-500cc smokers, through the 70s, 80s and most all 90s.  Back in the day, I rode Bultaco's, had Astros, and pursangs.  The pursang IMO would trounce any japanese bike on any given day.  I picked up a 1974 yz250a and that was my choice short tracker for a few years.  Road racing was my trusted R5/TR3.  But nothing I mean nothing ever came close to my 1979 Husky cr390.  That was the meanest, knarliest, fastes sled I had ever swung a leg over.  That bike did it all and was the funnest bike in the mudd.  It also demanded respect I mean lots of respect, if it did not get it, well to be blunt the TM400 widow maker was a kitten compared to a pissed off CR390.

Anyway, point is, there are a crap load of Open class bikes and 250s that IMO where far better than those named in the article.

Thoughts

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Luv me all the oil burners but for me it was the last of the air cooled age that marked the end of my first love affair.  Water cooling was better all around but I still miss the simplicity of the air cooled stuff.

One thing I'll never miss is hot starting the old IT465, kicking that pig was the only thing that ever frightened me. [shudders..]

A few old ones I remember but not from 1980 on.

MTR-AJS4947-M17b.jpg

SuperRat.jpg

And who could forget the …. 

Funniest_Memes_combat-wombat_14682.jpeg.jpg

No, this Combat Wombat!

Combat Wombat.jpg

98481192e6e49b57765056983b558d0f.jpg

Beemer

Best smokers IMHO were definitely pre-1980 with, of course, the exception of any of the KTM 300's

These were two of my bikes from when I use to compete in AHRMA events. The 1976 Yamaha TY250 was modded and rode great. So much so that I got a serious compliment from Mick Andrews (Mick designed and competed on the TY250 for Yamaha in the 70's) when he rode it during one of his trials classes that I took. The CZ was my first serious AHRMA MX bike, and it too rode great!

IMG_1482.JPG

IMG_0187.JPG

10 hours ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

Best smokers IMHO were definitely pre-1980 with, of course, the exception of any of the KTM 300's

These were two of my bikes from when I use to compete in AHRMA events. The 1976 Yamaha TY250 was modded and rode great. So much so that I got a serious compliment from Mick Andrews (Mick designed and competed on the TY250 for Yamaha in the 70's) when he rode it during one of his trials classes that I took. The CZ was my first serious AHRMA MX bike, and it too rode great!

IMG_1482.JPG

IMG_0187.JPG

I always wanted a faulta replica, rode one, and fell in love. 
That TY is SAAA WEEET

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

13 hours ago, mossrider said:

Luv me all the oil burners but for me it was the last of the air cooled age that marked the end of my first love affair.  Water cooling was better all around but I still miss the simplicity of the air cooled stuff.

One thing I'll never miss is hot starting the old IT465, kicking that pig was the only thing that ever frightened me. [shudders..]

My dad was a four stroke HD / Car guy, my first astro blew up (DUH) and I will never forget when I pulled the head what he said looking down in the barrol
"That sum bitch blew holes in the cylinder"

Ya he never lived that down.

^^^ That honestly made me lol. Haha!

My first 4 bikes were smokers.

1- 87 KTM125 SX.- Very fast even for a 125, but was murder to keep on the pipe in the woods.

2- So replaced that with a 93 KTM 125 EXC. 22 years ago and I still miss that bike.  

3- Though I was not 16 yet, but I was 6'2" and 220lbs, everyone said I need a bigger bike. Found a '92 KTM 250 EXC. Same as my beloved 125 EXC, but the power delivery was brutal. No fun at all and I literally gave myself whiplash on that bike. 

4- Looking for a tamer 250, I found a '88 KTM 250 EXC. Absolute tractor. Very smooth power delivery, not much top, but a mule down low. But I ended up keeping the 125 EXC through it all. Flickability is everything. 

However, fast forward 20 years and now I wouldn't give up my 4T for anything. Though I do miss the ringtingting on occasion. And the left-side kick! 

Archived