The MT-07 Forum

Vinyl Color Help

Allan

For those of you who have already seen this post on the color swapping thread, I know I've already posted this but I would like a little bit more feedback on this idea as it is a big (and expensive) decision. People are not going to sift through the thread and see the post so I am making a dedicated thread to help me make my decision. So any ways...

My vinyl samples came in the other day and I went outside and took some pictures to see how they look with the bike. I plan to wrap all of the fuel tank plastics and maybe the sides of the front fender. I want to leave the rear plastics that say FZ-07 on it and the textured part of the front fender alone. There are 4 different vinyl patterns I choose. All camo. Here they are:

hL0XyJLl.jpg

This one is Digital Blue Tiger Camo. I was hoping these blue camos would match the blue on my bike.

rid5zr8l.jpg

I went ahead a took pictures of all of the vinyl samples on the bike to see what they would look like. They aren't the best but they get the point across. First was the Digital Blue Tiger Camo:

7nXshmrl.jpg

It doesn't look awful but the two different shades of blue would look silly if I actually did it I feel it would. Next was the Large Blue Tiger Camo:

zrhcyOWl.jpg

Again, doesn't look awful but I feel in practice would be silly. I had such high hopes for those two if the blues matched.. Well anyways the next one is the Digital Urban Night Camo:

HJhkQnml.jpg

This one looks pretty good I think. My only complaint would be that it is a little too light shaded. It doesn't match the darkness of the rear plastics or the original darkness of the tank. Lastly we have the Digital Mid-Night Urban Camo:

fC7o0oZl.jpg

This one I personally think looks the best. It matches the original color and it has enough of a pattern to see its digital camo. Tell me what you guys think. Which one do you think looks the best or if you found another one that you think would look good, let me know. I look forward to hearing what people think. Thanks!
Allan

The last one is definitely the best, however, I think it is a little busy compared to how clean the bike is. I guess I would have to see the whole thing to really make a decision. How much of an investment are we talking to vinyl wrap the bike?

Follow me on Instagram. http://instagram.com/trebec

The last one is definitely the best, however, I think it is a little busy compared to how clean the bike is. I guess I would have to see the whole thing to really make a decision. How much of an investment are we talking to vinyl wrap the bike?
If I do it myself, about $100 bucks. If I get it done professionally, about $400 bucks. I have no experience with wrapping vinyl though and I don't know if I could pull it off.

Just do the first one when its all said and done it'll look great with the different shades of blue
I don't know.. In person it really is kind of silly looking.. I wish there was a way for me to see what the whole thing would look like for each one in person.. :(

• Global Moderator

I prefer Number 4, Digital Mid-Night Urban Camo. It would be impossible to match the blue of the frame so I wouldn't even bother.

$400 for professional installation seems a bit extreme to me. It is just the two tank panels, the top piece on the tank and the winglets. I would probably try it myself. Worst thing that could happen is that you loose $100 but it least you will know. But if you succeed you will have a skill others don't have. I am sure you would be able make some $ because others are too chicken to try. 
Here's a guy with no experience that did a tank. 

hand lay some whit and black over the grey tank and jut ket the bikes blue be on the parts it already is
The plan was to only put vinyl wrap on the plastic fuel tank and the side parts of the front fender. I absolutly LOVE the blue on the bike and I don't plan on having that go anywhere anytime soon.

I prefer Number 4, Digital Mid-Night Urban Camo. It would be impossible to match the blue of the frame so I wouldn't even bother.  
$400 for professional installation seems a bit extreme to me. It is just the two tank panels, the top piece on the tank and the winglets. I would probably try it myself. Worst thing that could happen is that you loose $100 but it least you will know. But if you succeed you will have a skill others don't have. I am sure you would be able make some $ because others are too chicken to try. 
Here's a guy with no experience that did a tank. 

That video was inspiring. That knifeless tape is a game changer, definatly. Yeah, $400 does seem like a lot. That was my thought exactly because there are not many pieces to do. I think I'm probably going to do it my self because everyone is right, if I mess up it would still be cheaper this way as opposed to professionally. I still want to know which one of these looks the best though. I think I'm gonna do a vote poll. Vote up top!

• Global Moderator

I do not know how much more the camo vinyl is than a solid color one, but if solid is a lot cheaper I think I would get some of that, draw a grid on it and use it to practice. The grid would give you an idea of how much it is stretching. It might be cheaper than ruining some camo vinyl as you learn to apply it.

• Premium Member

#4 for me. Doesn't compete with the blue and the color meshes well .

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

I do not know how much more the camo vinyl is than a solid color one, but if solid is a lot cheaper I think I would get some of that, draw a grid on it and use it to practice. The grid would give you an idea of how much it is stretching. It might be cheaper than ruining some camo vinyl as you learn to apply it.
A 5x4 foot sheet of matte black vinyl is $48 while a 5x4 foot sheet of camo vinyl is $75. I think for the $25 difference I would rather try it with the camo the first time and if I get it right the first time, I don't have to worry about it. I'm really doing this vinyl because I don't want a solid color on the fuel tank. I appreciate the idea though. Thanks!

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

The fourth one coordinates the best but I think the pattern is too busy. Does the #4 color combo come in the #2 large non-digital pattern? That would probably look rad. #3 also looks good.

Illegitimi non carborundum

The fourth one coordinates the best but I think the pattern is too busy. Does the #4 color combo come in the #2 large non-digital pattern? That would probably look rad. #3 also looks good.
It does. Here it is. 
HhE4sH0.jpg

However I don't have a sample of this to compare too.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

It looks rad, but more importantly, what do you think?

Also, if you did that sample piece on paintbrush you can do that on all areas you want the vinyl to be. It would give you a better idea of what it looks like.

People seem to like the Large Mid-Night camo. The only problem is that since I just used paint brush, the color and color scheme is not accurate to what it actually is when it is sgipped to me. I guess I need to get a sample of this print to really see what it would look like.

• 2 months later...

So after thinking about it for a while and messing around on paint brush with different color combos I finally decided I want to have the camo with the Deep Purple shade that comes on the bike's rims. I came up with these 2 colors based on the existing camo patterns i had.
So first up is the Large Camo print with Yamaha Blue:

tisbWx8l.jpg 

Second is the digital Camo with the Yamaha blue:

CJElgqBl.jpg

I personally like the second one best, but what are all your opinions? I'd really like to hear them and maybe people even have new insights after all this time. Thanks!
Allan

I prefer the Large Camo print with Yamaha Blue, number 1.
Yeah? It may be because the shade of blue is darker in that one so it "pops" more. The Large print was the first one I did so I didn't apply different shades or a more realistic lighter shade that would resemble it being in the sun as I did in the digital. Thanks for the help!

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

The large camo print looks better but the digital camo might look more pleasing to the eye and not so busy if the pattern was rotated 90 degrees.

The large camo print looks better but the digital camo might look more pleasing to the eye and not so busy if the pattern was rotated 90 degrees.
I would think it would look pretty similar even if it were rotated 90 degrees. The digital "squares" of the camouflage would still be present and in a similar pattern if I rotated it. Maybe I don't fully Understand what you mean?

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Oh, I meant from what I can see, the camo blotches appear mostly vertical. I think if the blotches were mostly horizontal it would be more pleasing to the eye. I hope that explained it. Even seemingly random patterns have an up/down sense. Try it and see if you can tell any difference.

Archived