The MT-07 Forum

Valve check, TB sync

Stromer

So, having just acquired my 15 FZ-07, it came with a pair of sparkplugs, and seeing as the bike now has 27000 km, I've decided to do an early valve check, TB sync, and coolant change while in there. Anyone know what size shims this bike uses? I have a 7.48 mm kit as that was for my last bike. Apparently not too many have piled on enough mileage for the task.  I don't recommend this job for those not experienced with engine mechanicals.  Enlist a friend who has done it before.  I like to shoot for a clearance near the middle of the spec range, unlike most shops that use the go,  no go, method, meaning, even if the valve is just within the tight end of the range, its a go and left alone.  This leaves very little clearance for normal valve recession,  which can result in a tight , and burned valve/seat, Doh! $$$$$$$$!!!!!!!

I kept my old mercury manometer, so looking forward to getting at it. The workshop manual is pretty clear and has the all important torque specs.  Also just received my FT ECU unit, so itchin to get it done!

There is no way to predict what shims you will need.  You will need a + and - range handy and measure as they are set once you get the cover off.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Bike uses 7.48 shims. All engines I have done so far were in 180-200 range.

Buying kit is waste imo, not enough of same size to do engine. Better off buying refill kits or individual. 

1 hour ago, twf said:

Numbers stamped on shims, 180=1.8mm-200=2.0mm

Ah, that makes far more sense than 200/1000". That would be one fat shim. Thanks, good info

• Premium Member

As far as I know only the factory uses shims in .001 increments... Even looking at the parts lists and aftermarket kits/bulk it's all .005 increments... I'm recalling all this info from the FJ-09 forum... I don't recall any sources for .001 shims unless you build the engines or work for the factory shim supplier or have a junkyard full of CP2 motors... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Honda has them in .025 increments. I used to buy from local honda dealer when I needed. Or I would trade with service department. Some dealers don't mind trading so you should ask.  

I do build engines and I have huge collection of all sizes.  

So finally got the bike stripped down and measured valve clearances. Glad I did!  All intake valves except one are just barely within minimum spec, one is 1 mm tight. Only one exhaust valve within spec at .26mm.  The others are tight at 21 and 22 mm, so heads up to those waiting for the 40000 km check. I was able to swap around and use some of my own shims, but As Twf pointed out, my kit has .05 increments, so off to see if I can beg my local shop for closer shims for the last 4. 

Thanks twf, got some local, installed and clearances all good, plan to reinstall rad, check TB sync, and then install FT ECU over the weekend. Double checking everything as I go, as I don't want to hear expensive noises later, just a little more valve ticking.

• Premium Member
On 12/18/2018 at 5:26 PM, Stromer said:

Thanks twf, got some local, installed and clearances all good, plan to reinstall rad, check TB sync, and then install FT ECU over the weekend. Double checking everything as I go, as I don't want to hear expensive noises later, just a little more valve ticking.

By any chance you took pics or a video that you could share?

Sorry didn't take pics. As previously mentioned I do not recommend this procedure unless under the guidance of someone with experience and tools. The workshop manual from Yamaha covers the steps but assumes basic knowledge of performing tasks listed. 

So again, if the procedures in the manual don't make sense, find help locally or have your dealer do it. . 

Archived