The MT-07 Forum

Shifting issue?

ilikegladpandas

ilikegladpandas

So I recently bought a 2017 fz07, and just recently it's been allowing me to shift from gear to gear without me pulling in the clutch lever, it does this at any rpm and the throttle can be anywhere. I can shift through all the gears like the clutch isnt engaged at all.

When I pull in the clutch I lose power as I should, and if I release the clutch the bike jerks as you would expect it to.

When its in gear it acts like it is supposed to. No loss of power or anything like that.

I have no idea what could be wrong with it, I'm stumped. The thing only has 6k miles on it.

I checked clutch freeplay and it seems good too.

So you're saying that without blipping the throttle it will change gears if you simply touch the shift peg??? If that's what you're saying then something is wrong, wish I cold tell you what's causing it. Just take it back to the dealership.

Beemer

6 minutes ago, cyow5 said:

So, what's the problem? I hardly ever clutch, just get the throttle right. 

Same here but you don't want it shifting accidentally just because you slightly bump it with a toe. If it does it a lot it would be a real pita.

Beemer

7 minutes ago, Beemer said:

Same here but you don't want it shifting accidentally just because you slightly bump it with a toe. If it does it a lot it would be a real pita.

Agreed, and that needs to be clarified. I don't know of a mechanical issue though that would allow that and otherwise be 100% fine as described. 

28 minutes ago, cyow5 said:

Agreed, and that needs to be clarified. I don't know of a mechanical issue though that would allow that and otherwise be 100% fine as described. 

My bike actually does the same thing once in awhile, almost never and when it does it it's annoying. It will suddenly jump a gear and I'll have to re-shift, making me feel/look like a noob. I always think to myself, I hardly touched that peg so why did it shift?! I let it go though because IT IS a rare occurrence and hasn't hurt anything. 

If it happened a lot I would have it looked at for it would drive me crazy.

Beemer

3 minutes ago, Beemer said:

My bike actually does the same thing once in awhile, almost never and when it does it it's annoying. it will suddenly jump a gear and I'll have to re-shoit, making me feel/look like a noob. I'll think to myself, I hardly touched that peg so why did it shift?! I let it go though because IT IS a rare occurrence and hasn't hurt anything. 

That sounds more like it just wasn't fully engaged, or at least that was my thinking the couple times mine has done that. Heck, my cars have also done that, so I never paid it much attention. I'm not saying that there couldn't be something else going on, just never worried about it myself. 

37 minutes ago, cyow5 said:

That sounds more like it just wasn't fully engaged, or at least that was my thinking the couple times mine has done that. Heck, my cars have also done that, so I never paid it much attention. I'm not saying that there couldn't be something else going on, just never worried about it myself. 

You're probably right, it wasn't fully engaged so it slipped back. It's a real golf ball slapper!

Beemer

5 hours ago, Beemer said:

Adjust the shifter where your foot is out of the way, sounds to me like your foot is shifting without your brains input.  Common problem :)

Seriously though, your shifter ergo is not working with your size foot/boot

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

25 minutes ago, pegasus46 said:

They were trying out a new designed transmission meant for MotoGP and forgot to take it out before they sold it.

Man Bear Pig
Cereal

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Archived