The MT-07 Forum

XSR700/XS650 Ebay Alert

FZ07R WaNaB

Here's one somebody may be seriously interested in. The Yamaha XS650 that has been used with the XSR700 promotion is currently up for sale on Ebay. There is only 17+ hours left on the auction. The company that built the XS650 did a really cool job on it, plus it looks great. Check out the auction:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Yamaha-XS2/323584215694?hash=item4b571f4a8e:g:HgoAAOSwlAFcB~s5:rk:1:pf:0&vxp=mtr

Sweet.  Personally I would prefer the XS over the 700 in a heart beat

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I would love to know how many pounds they shed from that XS650. Between the alloy rims, lithium battery, custom exhaust and the alloy swingarm, I'm betting it is in the 30-40lb range. Considering it's 428 lbs. wet, that would take it easily to the weight of the FZ. Plus with better suspension than stock mixed with a stiffer swingarm and lower rolling weight, that bike should be a blast to ride.

Well, if I win the lottery tonight, I'll let everyone know when I win that auction. Strangely, I'm expecting Jay Leno to win that XS650.

6 hours ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

IBetween the alloy rims, lithium battery, custom exhaust and the alloy swingarm, I'm betting it is in the 30-40lb range. Considering it's 428 lbs. wet, that would take it easily to the weight of the FZ.

The single disc version sold in USA was 488 lb wet, the twin disc version sold in Europe was 502 lb wet.

7 hours ago, faffi said:

The single disc version sold in USA was 488 lb wet, the twin disc version sold in Europe was 502 lb wet.

Hey Faffi, how troll-like of you to discredit/slam my post. Next time why don't you try doing the research, get the facts correct, and post your source, you Jerk!!!

I was just having a fun time sharing that eBay auction with everyone. I don't need some a..hole incorrectly slamming my post for God knows what reason.

XS650 - 1.jpg

14 hours ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

I would love to know how many pounds they shed from that XS650. Between the alloy rims, lithium battery, custom exhaust and the alloy swingarm, I'm betting it is in the 30-40lb range.

That would be a good guesstament.  I can tell you the Lithium would save between 5 and 8 lbs if not more.  Remember those batteries on the SX were big.  The weight of a Shorai 1.52 lbs

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

16 hours ago, r1limited said:

Sweet.  Personally I would prefer the XS over the 700 in a heart beat

You should wear your helmet more. You've obviously bumped your head pretty hard at some point.  ;)

8 hours ago, faffi said:

This is interesting. No way they added 14lbs with an additional disc and caliper. I wonder what else had changed, too?

4 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

You should wear your helmet more. You've obviously bumped your head pretty hard at some point.  ;)

It is more nastolgic than anything.  I like the FZ, I LOVE THE XS.  Spent many an hour on the XS and for me hands down is in many ways better.  Handling is the same, but asthetics, the nostalgia, the bike itself is far more simpler and easier to look at. head bump or not, at least I have an excuse :):)

23 minutes ago, r1limited said:

It is more nastolgic than anything.  I like the FZ, I LOVE THE XS.  Spent many an hour on the XS and for me hands down is in many ways better.  Handling is the same, but asthetics, the nostalgia, the bike itself is far more simpler and easier to look at. head bump or not, at least I have an excuse :):)

Nah, I hear ya, man. I have a big soft spot for old Honda CB's and XL's/XR's. I owned an Interceptor project for a while, but never could  get in to it despite it being a much better bike than the old CB-F's. Ridden and borrowed many modern sport bikes, but nothing ever made me want to spend cash like the FZ did, including a Ninja 1000. It's interesting what trips your trigger sometimes. 

1 hour ago, shinyribs said:

This is interesting. No way they added 14lbs with an additional disc and caliper. I wonder what else had changed, too?

There could be some minor changes due to emission regulations etc, but a disc alone is 6.2 lbs. Add the weight of the bolts, the caliper and the brake hose and you are not very far off 14 lbs.

One time I had a disc and it was heavy, so heavy that it was not measurable.  In fact I bent it in half and it was half as heavy.  I then used half the oil and drilled holes in the brake lines and that made it even lighter.  Perhaps we are looking at this all wrong, perhaps what really should be is not.  We all need to be very opened minded about weight because we could offend some discs because they may be a tad,,, well lets call them binary because they dont know they are indeed FAT, or maybe they think of them selves as rear brakes or maybe they see themselves as a wheel, we all have to be more tolorant and understand that the creator had no idea what it or she or he or whatever created in the first place.  maybe they tried to create a disc but that disc had no say in it there it could be disc rape!  on the other hand this all could be as the disc was finished being polished final designation was determined to be a waffle iron.

Just saying

Honda has a lot of models using their current 500cc twin. But that is one gutless little engine.  This coming from a very big Honda fanboy. 

Honda has been designing most of their latest models with fuel economy in mind. I mean, there are guys on NC700's getting 100mpg, and those bikes have MASSIVE onboard storage completely hidden in what looks like a standard fuel tank. But then some NC700 owner's complain about how they have a hard time going uphill in the wind and maintaining 70mph. 

I love Honda, but it doesn't seem they are currently chasing performance with their midsize bikes. If performance isn't what you're after, of course, then you probably can't go wrong. 

Ya know Honda spelled backwards is THEY SUCK

I almost missed this thread but I caught it just in time with 22 minutes left on the auction and it's at $4,700. I'd love to have a standard with dual exhaust, a big, flat, wide seat and comfortable bars. I couldn't care less about how it performs compared to modern bikes so don't go there.

Disc rape??? Waffle iron? I think we're back a square @ the accident without the helmet. Haaaa, ha! I tease. You paint a target on yourself so well!

Beemer

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

My apologies to all the Kawi fans out there.  I am a Kawi fan myself and only posted my comment for r1 limited's benefit. As for Honda--meh. 

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

21 minutes ago, bornagainbiker said:

My apologies to all the Kawi fans out there.  I am a Kawi fan myself and only posted my comment for r1 limited's benefit. As for Honda--meh. 

No need to apologize, only crazy people go into a steak house and tell everyone they like vegetables better than steak. Really though, you're safe, this is a Yamaha site so all other bikes are fair game. Lock and load!

Beemer

It sounds like the new Honda models are going to be directly in competition with Royal Enfield and RE has the simplicity, price, and aesthetics all over the Hondas.

firstyammerha

not dragging pegs anymore and I liked my 2014 CB500F around town  day to day performance. The FZ07 is not as refined as the CB500  IMHO. Example, no provision for a center stand stock. And the CB fuel gauge was way better than the FZ's. That center stand addition cost me  $300 for the FZ07 versus $150 for the CB. Luggage rack installation on the CB was way less complicated than the FZ. EZPZ. FZ07 center stand installation was a royal pain too. I bought the FZ07 because it floored me with its weight and feel. I just didn't realize how crude it was for day to day operations.If Honda can shed 30lbs. or so from the Cb, I'm on it. However that Neo Café 500 may be a year or so off in the future ,if ever. Which makes the Z400 a possible fill in bike.

I find myself torn between taco bell and taco time.  I mean something its like no matter what you can close your eyes and a taco is a taco unless its a clam, then by gosh you better open them eyes, hondas are like unwashed clams

54 minutes ago, firstyammerha said:

not dragging pegs anymore and I liked my 2014 CB500F around town  day to day performance. The FZ07 is not as refined as the CB500  IMHO. Example, no provision for a center stand stock. And the CB fuel gauge was way better than the FZ's. That center stand addition cost me  $300 for the FZ07 versus $150 for the CB. Luggage rack installation on the CB was way less complicated than the FZ. EZPZ. FZ07 center stand installation was a royal pain too. I bought the FZ07 because it floored me with its weight and feel. I just didn't realize how crude it was for day to day operations.If Honda can shed 30lbs. or so from the Cb, I'm on it. However that Neo Café 500 may be a year or so off in the future ,if ever. Which makes the Z400 a possible fill in bike.

How right you are.

Things that should be required:

1) Center stand mounting points

2) Trunk mounting points

3) Saddle bag mounting points

4) 12 volt outlet (for charging or running an air compressor)

5) Outlet for charging GPS or cellphone

6) Cruise control

How much extra would these have added to the cost of manufacturing?

My guess would be somewhere between $25-$50. So add $100 to the MSRP and who would not have been willing to pay that amount because out of those 6 items almost everyone would want at least some.

• Global Moderator
59 minutes ago, pegasus46 said:

How right you are.

Things that should be required:

1) Center stand mounting points

2) Trunk mounting points

3) Saddle bag mounting points

4) 12 volt outlet (for charging or running an air compressor)

5) Outlet for charging GPS or cellphone

6) Cruise control

How much extra would these have added to the cost of manufacturing?

My guess would be somewhere between $25-$50. So add $100 to the MSRP and who would not have been willing to pay that amount because out of those 6 items almost everyone would want at least some.

I am not interested in any of those items, but I can think of some other things I would like.  That is the problem, by the time you add what everyone might want you will have probably added $1,000 to the price. 

Archived