The MT-07 Forum

Light wobble when speeding, after some maintenance...

godoy.rafa

So, I have changed my front tire, chain and rear suspension (to a newer stock one).

Yesterday I was riding the bike, and when I reached around 120mph I felt a light wobble, that stopped onde I slowed down.

The bike never did this before.

Might be a bad tire, or maybe has anythong to do with the other things I have replaced?

Obs.: I had a 30l top case mounted, but it is not wide.

• Premium Member

You didn't mention if  it was a front or rear wobble. A few things to check:

Did you have the tire balanced?

Have you verified all bolts are properly torqued after your maintenance?

Have you verified rear wheel alignment after your chain/sprocket replacement?

Confirmed all spacers are in place?

Good luck finding the source of your problem. Please don't Band-Aid  a front tire wobble with steering damper. A properly functioning bike doesn't need one, unless you're on the track, even at 100+mph speeds.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

1 hour ago, DewMan said:

Did you have the tire balanced? > No

Have you verified all bolts are properly torqued after your maintenance? > Yes

Have you verified rear wheel alignment after your chain/sprocket replacement? > Yes (by the swingarm marks)

Confirmed all spacers are in place? > Yes

Will check the balance. Thanks!

Won't put a steering damper, never felt the need for one.

5 hours ago, DewMan said:

Please don't Band-Aid  a front tire wobble with steering damper. A properly functioning bike doesn't need one unless you're on the track even at 100+mph speeds.

Holy words!

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, DewMan said:

Yep.

Works well, I have 1 and I like it, as long as you don't bend the bar. Actually when/if you get it take it out of the box and pull the sighting bar out of the coupler that holds it and roll it on something flat and clean to see if it wobbles, if it does!! Return it.

• 4 months later...
  • Premium Member

At 120mph, with top box the FZ-07 gets a little light up front... Suspension set up, might have to move the fork tubes up in the triple tree about 5mm...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

26 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

At 120mph, with top box the FZ-07 gets a little light up front... Suspension set up...

Without the top box I also have the problem. My suspension is stock, so there's not a lot to do. I guess I should try the old shock...

You say 'light wobble' at speed. It could just be normal for that front tire or the current setup of your bike. Because of their design and construction some tires are more stable than others. Some corner better, some track nicely, some wander over pavement, some steer heavier, some lighter than others. Point is they're all just a wee bit different. These are light bikes with tall suspension and have an aggressive setup to start with which is why they're such fun hooligans. If you want better high speed stability get a Hayabusa.  

In fact everyone should have a Busa or ZX14.

😁

Archived