The MT-07 Forum

Yamaha Bolt R Spec?

bornagainbiker

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

Don't get me wrong, I love my FZ 07, but I feel that it's performance is wasted on me.  I like to just put around admiring the sights.  Also some of the basic maintenance on the FZ is a pain--spark plugs--cough, cough. 

I am seriously looking at the Bolt R Spec as a replacement for my FZ, because  bolt has relatively easy access to spark plugs, plus it has a low maintenance belt drive system.  Also, I think the bolt might better suit my riding style.  

Has anyone here had experience with the Bolt, if so could you give your impressions of the bike?  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

After retirement I worked at a powersports dealer and got to ride everything there at least a little bit. The Bolt was one of my favs. It's got decent looks, a torquey motor with plenty of power for what you want, is moderately sized with a moderate weight for its class. Since I did all their set up and assembly I got to fiddle with each model and get a glimpse of what it might be like to live with. I liked the Bolt. Altho it aped the Sportster it seemed Yamaha did everything just a bit better, lighter, better handling, as good looking and very easy to work on. Like the FZ tho it's got some quirky, plasticy, fiddly body work and panels here and there.

Nice bike. 

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
13 minutes ago, mossrider said:

After retirement I worked at a powersports dealer and got to ride everything there at least a little bit. The Bolt was one of my favs. It's got decent looks, a torquey motor with plenty of power for what you want, is moderately sized with a moderate weight for its class. Since I did all their set up and assembly I got to fiddle with each model and get a glimpse of what it might be like to live with. I liked the Bolt. Altho it aped the Sportster it seemed Yamaha did everything just a bit better, lighter, better handling, as good looking and very easy to work on. Like the FZ tho it's got some quirky, plasticy, fiddly body work and panels here and there.

Nice bike. 

Thanks for the info--much appreciate it.  What is your take on the riding position?  Are your feet under you enough to take some of the weight off your tailbone?

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

Just now, bornagainbiker said:

Thanks for the info--much appreciate it.  What is your take on the riding position?  Are your feet under you enough to take some of the weight off your tailbone?

Yes, I would call it a modified standard riding position. Pegs up and forward a bit from the fz, bars up and back some, seat lower; certainly not touring bike comfy but not standard cruiser slouch.

Good for old guy half day snoop riding.

Just now, bornagainbiker said:

Sounds perfect--thanks.

It realy is ideal for going over to town x for ice cream, then over there to see what's going on, down to the thing to see who's around, back to Joes for a burger, stop to watch the ships/trains/planes at favorite secret spot, finish with back road long way home, repeat as necessary. 

I just may join you....

• Global Moderator
4 hours ago, minkster said:

I don't like the long reach to the handlebars, it causes upper back pain right between my shoulder blades. 

image.png.fbe865b8c0dccd52101f2eb98edf0a11.png

That does not look comfortable.  

I liked the idea of a Bolt but needed something lighter (and less expensive). So a Honda Rebel 500 it is, and it is more comfortable than a Bolt by the look of it. The seat looks awful too and that may not help the back.

Just do it! 

The Bolt R-Spec was on my radar before I bought my MT-07.  I rode a couple Bolts and liked them.  I was attracted to the belt drive and screw-type valve adjusters.  I found the seat fine but others don't.  I didn't ride them enough to have any issue.   I bought my MT because of the deal I made OTD - $7,524.  I couldn't talk the dealer down enough on the Bolt.  I 'm very happy with my MT though and know I made the right choice for me.  I like the torque, handling, braking, acceleration, and light weight. 

11 hours ago, bornagainbiker said:

I am also considering the Triumph Street Twin as a possible replacement for the FZ.  Any thoughts?

Sitting on the street twin feels very similar to sitting on an fz 07.  My knees are bent too sharply to be comfortable on both bikes.  I am ok with that, as it gives good lean angles, but my next bike will be a more relaxed ride.  The triumph t100/t120 has more relaxed ergonomics, but polishing all that metal is a little too much work.  To me, the yamaha bolt c-spec looks pretty relaxed if you aren't tall, see below, but the style may not appeal to you.  Also, you can scoot your butt back for a more aggressive riding position for the curves.  If you want a bike with a belt for easy maintenance, the bolt is probably the best bike out there.  The yamaha bolt scrambler has a high seat, if you have long legs it would be comfortable.  The bolt r-spec with different handlebars is a good option too, but you will need all new cables, so it's a bit of a project.

image.png.04966dc1e51dce277326d522faff80b0.png

At 70 and 5'8" I have both MT-07 and Bolt R-spec and they fit me perfectly with more power than I will ever use.  Just recently decided to spend alittle money on the Bolt...…….Mustang seat, Cobra slip on, Cobra Fuel management, Cobra air intake,  Koso gauge (which includes tach, gear indicator and temps) with already installed windshield, Yamaha engine guards which work great as highway pegs. If you look hard enough you can find good prices on Amazon and eBay on all these accessories not to mention decent priced Bolts on Craigslist.

Archived