The MT-07 Forum

Rattles/ticking/tapping noises

dylanbnr32

Hello everyone,

Been reading about all of these rattle/jingle sounds that the MT likes to make! My bike is no exception.

I'm getting 3 different noises:

1. Once the bike warms up there's a distinct tapping sound that increases with RPMs. It sounds quite a bit like valvetrain noise, as if the valves/tappets are out of spec. I've owned this bike since new though and it has done it since day 1. I heard the anti-pollution valve on these bikes can also make an audible tapping/ticking sound, is this true? 
  2. Under deceleration or light throttle between 5-6k RPM I am getting a metallic rattle/jingle noise from the front of the bike. I've heard that people had issues with the headlight bulb retainer clip but I checked it and it's snug. The mesh inserts on the air vents rattle to the touch though, do people experience these rattling at certain RPMs?
  3. On gear shifts I'm also getting a metallic rattle noise. It used to be much louder but after changing out my chain and sprocket for an RK/Renthal combo the sound went away under load. Now the rattle sound only occurs when the clutch pedal is used.

Appreciate any advice, thank you.

It's hard to access if it's not under our bums and moving. If it's still under warranty I would simply take it to the dealership and let the mechanics evaluate it. I could be wrong but I would bet the noises are most likely the typical noises moving parts on a motorcycle make or generate from vibration at certain rpm's, the stuff you may've already read about. GL, let us know if you find out anything.

Beemer

On 12/6/2018 at 8:39 PM, dylanbnr32 said:

Now the rattle sound only occurs when the clutch pedal is used.

It is hard to analyze since your bike is so different.

• Premium Member

most ppl hear ticking noises when riding next to the "k-rail" barriers... fuel injectors, chain noises, intake/valvetrain noises...

a video of the noise is the best way to help you get advice/answers...

solution= aftermarket exhaust

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

On 12/9/2018 at 6:39 AM, pegasus46 said:

It is hard to analyze since your bike is so different.

Haha, yikes, must have had cars on the mind that day!

One of my frame sliders was loose and causing the rattle between 5-6krpm. Tightened it up and applied some loctite, the sound is now gone. Cheers everyone.

I took a ride on my bike yesterday and it seemed my whole bike was vibrating. At first I wondered what the hell was going on, it gave me cause to be concerned so as I was riding I would look over the side at the front tire, etc. to see if I could spot anything shaking/vibrating but everything looked normal. One thing that was out of the ordinary that had nothing to do with my bike was the jacket I was wearing. It's new but it's not really made for biking, it's just your average windbreaker. A windbreaker with a lot of loose material flapping in the wind. Hindsight, it really works! 🙄

It caused a lot of flapping and it was annoying but it dawned on me that there could be loose material flapping around at the shoulders as well as the arms and possibly slapping the bottom of the helmet so I reached up and set my hand down close to the center of my back and close to the helmet and guess what, the vibration stopped. Weird I couldn't feel it or else I would've spotted it sooner. It wasn't the bike vibrating, it was my helmet vibrating from the loose jacket material slapping the helmet. It was slapping it so hard and fast it made everything I looked at seem like it was vibrating when it was just my helmet/head vibrating so hard it affected my vision, ha! 

What a weird experience. That's a new one! Live and learn, I'll never wear a loose jacket again, that's for sure. 

Beemer

Its it like

SSSIT SSSIT, CLICK TIC SSSIT SSSIT

Thats bad, really really bad

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Archived