The MT-07 Forum

Sag results

scotto

Had a good friend over to help me install my new SW centerstand so I took advantage of having a helper to check the sag front and rear.  It came out to 34mm at the front and 35mm at the rear with preload set to the middle of 5 settings.  This is a 2018 and I am 225lbs. geared up.  Now I'm pretty big and was surprised that I would end up at the middle preload setting.  This would indicate to me that these bikes are somewhat "oversprung".  I mean what is someone who weighs 140 or 150 going to do?  Anyway, what are everyone's thoughts on the sag results I came up with?  To much, too little, just right?  I was unable to test ride due to 35 degrees and pouring rain.  57 degrees and sunny tomorrow so will get out then.  Thanks for any input.

Please Mister Fantasy play us a tune, something to make us all happy.    Stevie Winwood / Traffic, 1967

• Premium Member

Those numbers are good.  You could go stiffer for more spirited riding or softer for cruising.  You are right in the middle now.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

@blackout Thanks for the input.  I was hoping that those numbers were good.  I can't wait to try it out.

Please Mister Fantasy play us a tune, something to make us all happy.    Stevie Winwood / Traffic, 1967

• 2 weeks later...
firstyammerha

I'm a round town cruiser type guy in your weight range and the best ride that I've got is with a 350lb.or so rate spring on the stock FZ07 shock. My unladen  sag figure was around 35mm too but if you want to bend it around the corners, you'll need a heavier spring. Suzuki GSXR and GSF springs work with our stock shock. You'll have to mix and match the keepers to make things work. EBay is a gold mine for this stuff. 

Archived