The MT-07 Forum

Low Sided Today

thestache

Came into a set of curves I have ridden probably 100 times today and low sided. Looks like there was some oil or something in the apex of the turn. The back tire broke loose and I like to think that instincts kicked in as I let go of the bike and tried to get to my back, I somehow flipped to my chest and slid across the road. Lucky no cars were coming.

I am okay, bike has some dings, sliders worked amazing.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! Glad you're ok.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! Glad you're ok.

TYVM HBC, I am fine, not a scratch and the bike will be picked up tomorrow by a repair shop. So I lose some riding time, the bike just has bent bars and some broken plastics + some scratches.

• Global Moderator

Glad to hear you are okay and the bike is not too badly hurt. It seems like there have been a lot of low sides lately. It also seems that the frame sliders are doing their job, so I guess you could call that good news. Of course I would rather we never found that out.

I think for me it was a combo of slick spot in the road, roads being colder (not as much grip), and not taking into account the possibility of these factors. Like I said when I started, I have ridden these curves 100 times, and I was "familiar" with them...except for this time.

I was kind of amazed at how my instincts took over and when I let the bike go, I tried to just get on my back

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
I was kind of amazed at how my instincts took over and when I let the bike go, I tried to just get on my back
Is sliding on your back what you want in a situation like this? I have no idea.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member

Ideally yeah, at least as far as I've read.

Back protectors provide good protection. Unless wearing MX style gear most jackets don't have anything on the front of your torso.

The organs in your abdomen are more squishy than your spine and the erector muscles that support it.

Anything beats a tumbling slide though.

Everything went braap.

yes .. there have been a lot of them lately .. maybe we all need to me more aware. Is it the weather, change in seasons? I had a low slide years ago on my 2000 Tbird. Was going too fast for my level of experience and went too far into the shoulder on a sweeping left hand curve. I slid out at the exit point and some how ended up on top of the bike, like I was surfing. I think I broke a shoe lace, the bike took the brunt on the shifter. The shifter did not break, but the spindle did. That cost me $600 plus. Otherwise not too much damage to the bike. I could not shift and rode home in my only gear available ... 3rd.

• Premium Member
yes .. there have been a lot of them lately .. maybe we all need to me more aware. Is it the weather, change in seasons? I had a low slide years ago on my 2000 Tbird. Was going too fast for my level of experience and went too far into the shoulder on a sweeping left hand curve. I slid out at the exit point and some how ended up on top of the bike, like I was surfing. I think I broke a shoe lace, the bike took the brunt on the shifter. The shifter did not break, but the spindle did. That cost me $600 plus. Otherwise not too much damage to the bike. I could not shift and rode home in my only gear available ... 3rd.

Change in the season seems plausible.

Don't forget to keep an eye out for fall foliage and debris on the road. Pine needles and leaves are slick, especially when wet.

Everything went braap.

• Global Moderator

Oh man, sorry to hear this @thestache. I always hate these posts I am glad you are okay, but man does this ever suck.

Good to hear that you are okay. After seeing my nephew low side in front of me and into oncoming traffic. Luckily he stopped right at the double yellow line.

tire pressure, what I was trying to talk about in this forum but no one cared. I bet your tire pressure was to high in your tires. lowering your tire pressure would of soften your tire and provided you better grip to the road. if your feeling up to it let me know what your tire pressure set at.
http://fz07.org/thread/1054/tire-pressure

tire pressure, what I was trying to talk about in this forum but no one cared. I bet your tire pressure was to high in your tires. lowering your tire pressure would of soften your tire and provided you better grip to the road. if your feeling up to it let me know what your tire pressure set at. http://fz07.org/thread/1054/tire-pressure
Dang wish I woulda seen this earlier, Nicky, but the bike was taken to the repair facility. I think my pressure might have been lower than normal though, just a guess as I was planning on checking and cleaning/lubing the chain today and had not checked it in a couple of weeks.

tire pressure, what I was trying to talk about in this forum but no one cared. I bet your tire pressure was to high in your tires. lowering your tire pressure would of soften your tire and provided you better grip to the road. if your feeling up to it let me know what your tire pressure set at. http://fz07.org/thread/1054/tire-pressure
tire pressure is a little thing that makes a big difference; the FZ-07 is the first real, modern performance bike I've owned in lifetime of bikes, and the first bike I've religiously checked tire pressure on every time I ride.  I have the Bridgestone  Battleaxe tires, and they vary a couple pounds between one day and the next with air temp changes, and the couple pounds makes a difference in ride quality...

2015 FZ-07
2013 TU250X - Sold!

Sorry to hear that, @thestache, major inconvenience! Good thing is that you are in one piece! Bike can be fixed.
It has to be connected to the cooler weather, I went out today (7C, 44F) and it felt very greasy - just like turning on a big bar of soap. Tire pressure might be relevant, but I think it's mainly the rubber compound that's not thriving at these temperatures.

Recommended tire pressure is based on "cold-tire" temperature at the time it is checked. In the case of the FZ07 this is 33 lbs front and 36 lbs rear, per the owner's manual. Under-inflated tires overheat more than properly inflated tires.

Archived