The MT-07 Forum

Running lights

Benh972

• Premium Member

So I put some el cheapo turn signals on my bike because anything is an improvement over those flabby pumpkins. My only regret is my turn signals are 2 wire units with no running lights. So I want to put some amber running lights in my tank scoops, bonus points if a flame like flicker can be achieved. Anyone do anything like this or know what kind of product could pull this off?

I know not all lights can run continuously, or they get too hot and things melt or catch on fire. 

• 3 months later...

Did the same with mine and also at the under seat rear "scoops".  Mine are running white at the front and running red at the rear.  Both front and rear flash amber on turn signal.  I should have used better / brighter lights, but they still work fine for "additional lighting" and enlarging the visual impact from distances.  I did all of my wiring from the rear under the pillion figuring that would easier/cheaper to replace if needed.  I soldered and heat shrink all connections.

• Premium Member

What LED you used? 

I am using these in the front scoops:

profile_pivot_xsb_switchback_led_strips_
WWW.THERETROFITSOURCE.COM

The automotive aftermarket’s best name in LED Lighting and when it comes to Switchback LED Strips; easily the one that gets our nod of approval

But I am having trouble making them flash, I think its the hyper flash not letting them work.

I might need to get a relay to see if that fixes them.

Yes, I have an LED flash relay installed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RM26LXO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are the lights I used.  Nothing fancy, just "proof of concept" really as they aren't ultra bright, but I liked that they had 2 colors so that I could use running lights and turn/brake signals.  I still kept my factory pumpkins, but installed super bright leds for those as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L8YZ0GU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Turn signal LEDs replacements that used.  Super happy with them over factory.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EEI9LLM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

FYI: I am running all LED's, so you may want to check on that since I have read that mixed bulbs could be problematic.

Edited by Zephyr

• 1 month later...

Hey Ben, sorry, I missed this when you first posted it, if you can't use the info now maybe someone else can but I bought some BikeViz V2 running lights w/glint (requires a PodMod modulator) that sort of flicker. It's more like a faint strobe but it's noticeable, I have a couple in white mounted on the sides of my bike to grab attention. They're small and discrete and will fit just about anywhere. They come in different colored lights, amber being one of them. Here's the link: 

• Thanks 1

Beemer