The MT-07 Forum

Buying new a beautiful disaster

Benh972

• Premium Member

I bought a brand new 2017 FZ 07 from my local dealer. I would summarize the whole experience as fun, but stupid. The dealership and I both got into a game of who is a bigger dumb ass, and the competition was fierce.

My failings

1. I financed $9,300 at 12.49% interest for 60 months(I never intended to carry the balance that long as of now its paid off)  

2. I did not demand nor receive an itemized invoice of the total amount. I only know my hard part accessories were $416.93 The remaining $8,883.07  paid for my motorcycle and 3 years of maintenance through my dealer, but how much went where I have no clue.

3.  I promptly crashed my bike.

4. When my license plate never showed up, I didn't follow up until it was past the point of ridiculous.

5. I could have communicated with the dealership more clearly when I had them repair the bike. (They installed some aftermarket parts I accidentally gave them, no biggie but it cost me some money.)

My dealership 

1. Was not transparent about how much the actual bike cost.

2.Registered my FZ 07 as an offroad motorcycle.

3. Performed substandard work on my bike and put me in danger.( They replaced my shifter, and the link fell off less than 5 miles from the shop on the highway while riding home and theres more, but that was the biggie.)

4. Has failed to win back my trust or provide any additional value to the purchase. (Their service department is dead to me.)

In the end I have a beautiful machine I love and some stories to share here. So things have turned out alright. I will elaborate in future posts.

yamahaaccessoriesinvoice.jpg

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Benh972 said:

The dealership and I both got into a game of who is a bigger dumb ass, and the competition was fierce.

😆 Love it!

Congrats on the new bike. Sorry about your hassles  though.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

On the dealership and substandard work. when my bike was delivered, post "dealer prep" before I went for a ride, I checked the tire pressure. 50 front 55 rear. Good looking out guys.

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, prospeed44 said:

Can we play the game .... "Name that Dealership " !!!

Freedom Powersports Dallas.

I am going to try and make myself tell the whole story before the weekend. I just want to make sure I get all the important points I want to make without too much rambling. First though I do want to make sure and tell you guys some of what they did right. The customer facing employees were very nice and they made buying the bike very easy. 

The guy who did the work on my bike was very nice too. I am just not sure if I would trust him to program a remote control for me much less work my my most valued physical possession.

How-I-Just-Got-Screwed-Over-Insuring-Through-Obamacare-For-100-a-Month.jpg

Here's a new one. If you choose to pay in full with cash instead of financing the cost of the vehicle goes up. 

Edit: After consideration, maybe not such a bad deal. But, the Obama crack stands because Obama.

Beemer

2 hours ago, sansnombre said:

Dude . . . 12.5% at 5 years!?

Could've, would've, should've walked on that one. 😉

Edit: If one took 5 years to pay then yeah, not so great.

Beemer

10 minutes ago, Beemer said:

Not to say any of it looks like a great deal but he said it was already paid off.

Maybe he got a discount on something since the finance guy was making such a large spiff on the loan, maybe.. 

I love this shet! As dumb as this appears, most of us have done monumentally stupid things that make you look like Einstein in this instance. Stupid was invented long before we showed up.

Welcome to 'the club'!

And you are right, a lifetime of stories in the making. 

Enjoy the bike.

Twist it's tail.

As a buddy once said, "education is expensive". You probably learned more real-world finance from that experience than $10k would've bought you in a business school. 

43 minutes ago, JBrock said:

Not to say any of it looks like a great deal but he said it was already paid off.

Maybe he got a discount on something since the finance guy was making such a large spiff on the loan, maybe.. 

Didn't occur to me but yeah, if you paid it off early you avoid paying that much so maybe not such a bad thing. If he's happy it must've went well in the end.

Beemer

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Beemer said:

Edit: If one took 5 years to pay then yeah, not so great.

Here is what my payments looked like. I carried the $9,300 for 7 months. I paid $670.87 or right around 7% all together for the luxury of getting to defer paying for the bike. I am alright with this, I have a decidedly mediocre credit score and I didn't want to prove my income.

Taking out the loan dropped my score about 25 points and paying it off improved it about 50 points. So there's that too.

payments.PNG

• Premium Member

So here is the beginning of how I decided I was gonna buy a brand new FZ 07. I had and loved a 2013Ninja 300 motorcycle, it looked fast, and I had a hoot revving it around. Like many though I started to feel like I would enjoy some more power.

I bought a full exhaust system used for a couple hundred bucks and I had plans to install it once I decided how I was going to tune the bike to the pipe. Then I catch wind of the Ninja 400 coming out. So I look at her, shes not getting any newer and is this going to be my forever bike? If knew once the 400s start hitting the used market it would be too late to get any value if I moved on. So I decided it would make more sense to buy more bike than to throw money at this one. 

I decide I will buy something new that should suit my needs for a long time. The FZ-07 is  the perfect fit for me.

Twice the power of my 300 but still practical to own. Yamaha's website tells me theres no new stock near me older than 2017. So I send emails two local dealers that are supposed to have the bikes in stock. Freedom replied first. Basically the dude wanted to play 20 questions with me about my Ninja that I might trade in. Then he told me they only had the 2017 FZ-07 in blue, but could get a red one from another location.

That same day, I dropped my infant son off at my sister's house and went to get a broken tooth extracted at the dentist's office. On the way home I get on the highway and I see Freedom Powersports  Yamaha in my rear view. I figure what the hey, I got a baby sitter and my dentist got me square in like 15 mins, so I will just take a gander at the blue bike and see what I think. When I walk into the dealership. I see two brand new FZ 07's right there one in blue, one in red.

Freedom Powersports has several locations, as it turns out I was not talking to this location online. I fell in love with the red bike. I had to have it, all I had to do was fill out some paper work and I would have a payment of $211 untill I could pay the bike off. Done son. I knew I would be able to pay it off in November. I had to leave her behind I had to have my car to pick up my son. That night I told my wife what I did and that I needed her to drive me up to the dealership to pick up my new bike!

I really don't deserve my wife. She only mentioned once she would divorce me next time I go out and buy a motorcycle without her. 

On 11/26/2018 at 2:27 PM, Benh972 said:

Freedom Powersports Dallas.

I am going to try and make myself tell the whole story before the weekend. I just want to make sure I get all the important points I want to make without too much rambling. First though I do want to make sure and tell you guys some of what they did right. The customer facing employees were very nice and they made buying the bike very easy. 

The guy who did the work on my bike was very nice too. I am just not sure if I would trust him to program a remote control for me much less work my my most valued physical possession.

Just walk in and put a jar of vasiline on the counter.
When they ask what is that just state

Oh its my vasoline, it has sand in it, that way I can tell when I am getting screwed

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member

It sounds to me like mistakes were made on both sides of this transaction.... The dealership NEEDS to be transparent- period. If I don't see an itemized bill, I question it-  If I don't get a detailed explanation, I walk-  12.5% for 5 years is rough ☹️.... I don't know your credit score (nor do I care), but BRAVO to you for paying it off in six months 😎!!!! Dealerships are NOT here to "help" us 😞... They are here to make money 🤑. A shifter falling off in 5 miles is TOTALLY unacceptable. Mechanics are paid by "shop hours". The "shop hours" is a magical book (put out by Yamaha), that says how much time a certain task should take. If a mechanic can beat that time, they make more money. If they go over that time, they "lose" money. Unfortunately, this is the world we live in..... My best advise, as one member- to- another. Learn to do your own maintenance. Youtube is your best friend, as is an OEM factory service manual. The only time I go to a dealer is to buy a new bike. After that (even if it's under warranty), I do it myself. I don't want some "mechanic" (that's racing the clock) wrenching on my bike- ever... Riding a bike is dangerous enough without adding money into the equation. Just my humble opinion-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member

Thats a great explanation @cornerslider , if anyone read a post I made a while back about my rear axle problem and the dealership would understand my frustration, the dealership I used also falls under the freedom powersports name!!! 

To explain what is going on in that photo. I was checking the chain slack, it was within the 51-56 mm, I noticed that the tyre wear indicators were wearing un-evenly from 1 side to the other. I assumed there was a mis-alignment with the rear wheel or the front, I started with the rear. I used what I had on hand a straight-edge (steel ruler) and the sprocket just below the teeth right up under the chain and sighted it through the c/s!! all good. Puzzled I got up off my knees and stumbled a little, grabbed the back wheel and this happened to my disbelief I shouted wtf. got my torque wrench, checked to see if it was the specified 76 ft/lbs, it clicked at 76 ft/lbs. The last person to touch my rear wheel and axle was a local dealership that mounted a set of tyres before I had my rear stand.

I just brought the tyres the day before and brought the bike the next day.

image.png.4f84a17205e8ce5a0fe07c467d648e02.png 

I'm all about doing my own maintenance, I just trusted someone to do this in a timely manner, professionally. It didn't workout with said dealership. I go as far to say I wouldn't tar them all with the same brush, there's a few good people still around. The next time I'm at a mechanics is to get the valve adjustment done. I'm close to 17,000 original miles, I put 15K of them on it.

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, cornerslider said:

It sounds to me like mistakes were made on both sides of this transaction.... The dealership NEEDS to be transparent- period. If I don't see an itemized bill, I question it-  If I don't get a detailed explanation, I walk-  12.5% for 5 years is rough ☹️.... I don't know your credit score (nor do I care), but BRAVO to you for paying it off in six months 😎!!!! Dealerships are NOT here to "help" us 😞... They are here to make money 🤑. A shifter falling off in 5 miles is TOTALLY unacceptable. Mechanics are paid by "shop hours". The "shop hours" is a magical book (put out by Yamaha), that says how much time a certain task should take. If a mechanic can beat that time, they make more money. If they go over that time, they "lose" money. Unfortunately, this is the world we live in..... My best advise, as one member- to- another. Learn to do your own maintenance. Youtube is your best friend, as is an OEM factory service manual. The only time I go to a dealer is to buy a new bike. After that (even if it's under warranty), I do it myself. I don't want some "mechanic" (that's racing the clock) wrenching on my bike- ever... Riding a bike is dangerous enough without adding money into the equation. Just my humble opinion-

4 hours ago, fzar said:

Thats a great explanation @cornerslider , if anyone read a post I made a while back about my rear axle problem and the dealership would understand my frustration, the dealership I used also falls under the freedom powersports name!!! 

To explain what is going on in that photo. I was checking the chain slack, it was within the 51-56 mm, I noticed that the tyre wear indicators were wearing un-evenly from 1 side to the other. I assumed there was a mis-alignment with the rear wheel or the front, I started with the rear. I used what I had on hand a straight-edge (steel ruler) and the sprocket just below the teeth right up under the chain and sighted it through the c/s!! all good. Puzzled I got up off my knees and stumbled a little, grabbed the back wheel and this happened to my disbelief I shouted wtf. got my torque wrench, checked to see if it was the specified 76 ft/lbs, it clicked at 76 ft/lbs. The last person to touch my rear wheel and axle was a local dealership that mounted a set of tyres before I had my rear stand.

I just brought the tyres the day before and brought the bike the next day.

image.png.4f84a17205e8ce5a0fe07c467d648e02.png 

I'm all about doing my own maintenance, I just trusted someone to do this in a timely manner, professionally. It didn't workout with said dealership. I go as far to say I wouldn't tar them all with the same brush, there's a few good people still around. The next time I'm at a mechanics is to get the valve adjustment done. I'm close to 17,000 original miles, I put 15K of them on it.

Yeah, when I got home and told the wife I bought the bike, of course she asked how much I paid. That's when I looked at my invoice and realized I had no idea how the money shook out. It bothered me enough I mentioned it in the after sale survey from Yamaha, but I really did not care and still gave em full stars.

Basically they maxed out the line of credit Yamaha was willing to bet on me. I should not have bought and rolled those accessories into the purchase. That's how you pay waay too much for a radiator guard, and end up buying a 200 dollar windshield only to realize you like the raw naked air blast at 80 mph. 

So then my accident happens right about one month after I bought the bike. I posted about it when it happend.

I want to thank r1limited for lending a sympathetic ear. My knee injury was not gruesome at all, and looked better about a week later. The real damage was internal. It seriously took like 3 months before I could walk and pull up my own pants without a depressing amount of effort and pain.

I replaced some parts myself. I installed an aftermarket tail light, replaced the rear plastics, and replaced the relay. Then I tried to do the engine's stator cover. I had looked at the pdf yamaha serice manual that you can find online, and I paid for the Haynes guide.

All went according to plan until I ran into the bearing that fits in the cover. I destroyed my replacement engine case cover with stress fractures trying to seat that damn bearing without the proper tools.

That's when I decided I had more money than sanity in the budget and decided I would pay someone with better tools and experience to save me from myself.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Ok, so I never finished my story. This is where the dealership really made me mad. I get them to come get the bike, and I paid them $1200 bucks to fix her. I gave them most of the parts they would need for the repair. It took them at least a week to get it done. I pick her up. I am riding down the highway towards home everything is fine until I get to my exit, I get over and try to down shift. My shifter is limp, the damn linkage fell off! WTF!

I was stuck in 6th gear.

I rode up on a sidewalk beside the service road, and called them. They did send a guy with a new link and they replaced it right there on the side of the road for me. Which was nice, but since having the bike back the body panel they put on the bike.. they did not mount it right there's a big gap. They also did not put the screws on my headlight housing back in worth a damn(they finished installing my aftermarket blinkers).   I lost one and the others could be tightened with my fingers.

I really expected better work from a shop affiliated with the Yamaha brand. 

Archived