The MT-07 Forum

MT07 18 - Is there a 1st gear throttle restriction?

Rmbukk

19 hours ago, topazsparrow said:

I think it's wildly blown out of proportion by old farts and new riders scared of their shadow when they all say stuff like "You just can't keep the front wheel down" or "This thing is a dangerous accident waiting to happen with how easily you accidentally wheelie it".

Comments like that about the STOCK FZ-07 nonetheless. It's absurd. You really gotta give it the nuts to get the front wheel up in first with the stock throttle radius. If you're that ham fisted with the throttle on a bike in 1st gear, you're not qualified to ride a bicycle let alone a street bike. Second is literally impossible to wheelie accidentally in 99% of situations. You have to bounce the front end by chopping the throttle to get it up.

Admittedly, I've got the motionpro throttle tube installed, but even before that I had no problem pulling straight power wheelies. 

Your positioning on the bike matters a lot.  If I sit up against the tank, or lean forward, it'll keep the front down unless I work at it.  If I'm sitting towards the rear of the seat (where I usually sit, because I'm 6'4" and 300lbs, so I'm super crunched up when up against the tank) and upright, it'll hop the front wheel effortlessly in first or second just by snapping the throttle open.  

I've *never* said it was dangerous, or seriously implied you "can't keep the front wheel down" - just not riding like a hooligan will keep the front wheel down, obviously.  But you absolutely don't need to clutch it up to wheelie, or bounce the front end dirt bike style.   Just snap the throttle wide open and it'll wheelie happily. 

With the clutch, it's effortless: even just on fast upshifts it'll stand up, let alone properly clutching it up.

I'd say the MT07s are pretty easy to wheelie by accident in 1st. Yes they do have a slow profile on the throttle cam but still, they wheelie easily in 1st, at least the few I've ridden do. I grew up riding supermotos and my other ride is a 2007 YZ450F SM, yes no comparing the two when it comes to power wheelies but still the mt07 surprises me with its low down torque sometimes....

There are no power restrictions in lower gears.  In fact, 1st gear actually sports a little more ignition timing (overall) than the higher gears.  Something I hear a lot is people wanting the "top speed limiter" removed.  There is no such thing on the U.S. market FZ/MT-07.  Now the -09 series do have restrictions, Yamaha uses the fly by wire system to limit power and speed.

J.D. Hord

2 hours ago, hordboy said:

There are no power restrictions in lower gears.  In fact, 1st gear actually sports a little more ignition timing (overall) than the higher gears.  Something I hear a lot is people wanting the "top speed limiter" removed.  There is no such thing on the U.S. market FZ/MT-07.  Now the -09 series do have restrictions, Yamaha uses the fly by wire system to limit power and speed.

Bingo. I still maintain that OP is likely having TB sync issues.

On 11/25/2018 at 8:29 AM, Rmbukk said:

New MT07 2018 model - just clocked over 50 miles!

The bike seems to have slightly less snap and a bit of delay/retardation in 1st when compared to the other gears. I know some other bikes have a bit of restriction in the first few gears to make them a bit more manageable etc. KTM 690 prime example....

I am not sure if it is all in my head and I've found nothing when searching the net...

Did you break in the engine?

Did you flash it? Did you change airbox/exhaust?  When you do a ecu flash and change airfilter/exhaust its almost night and day; albeit its runs rich... (Runs lean stock) 

2 hours ago, Kyuzo said:

Did you break in the engine?

Did you flash it? Did you change airbox/exhaust?  When you do a ecu flash and change airfilter/exhaust its almost night and day; albeit its runs rich... (Runs lean stock) 

Hasn’t been flashed, bike has a an akra, stock airbox for now.... I am gonna start flashing these bikes in and around my local area soon, I work in the bike trade, yeah I broke the bike in... in my own way 😝 motor actually seems to pull stronger than any 07 ive ridden and I’ve swung a leg over around 10... maybe its coz i give it more of a handful than on the customer bikes haha

I sure as hell know the benefits of a flash, but the bike isn’t running to bad/lean at all, have been focusing more on the bikes handling for now.

I have no complaints about the bike or power I was just intrigued to see if what I felt was a figment of my crazy imagination

On 1/20/2019 at 5:46 PM, hordboy said:

thanks for clarifying hordboy, much appreciated. I guess it was just a figment of my imagination afteral🤣

22 hours ago, topazsparrow said:

Bingo. I still maintain that OP is likely having TB sync issues.

throttle bodies are balanced, checked before riding the bike for the first time

Archived