The MT-07 Forum

'18 forks fixed?

scotto

@pattonme you did my forks on my '15 fj09, loved it.  I was just curious, the early fz07 had a faulty bushing or something I remember reading about.  I'm buying an '18 MT07 and was wondering if Yamaha has fixed this?  Thank you for your help.  I'm going to ride around when the wheather breaks and see what the stock setup is like.  At 225 lbs. in gear what can I expect & what weight springs should I be looking at front and rear when I do upgrade?  I like a cushier hiway type ride.  Thanks.

Please Mister Fantasy play us a tune, something to make us all happy.    Stevie Winwood / Traffic, 1967

• 8 months later...
On 11/19/2018 at 12:51 PM, scotto said:

@pattonme you did my forks on my '15 fj09, loved it.  I was just curious, the early fz07 had a faulty bushing or something I remember reading about.  I'm buying an '18 MT07 and was wondering if Yamaha has fixed this?  Thank you for your help.  I'm going to ride around when the wheather breaks and see what the stock setup is like.  At 225 lbs. in gear what can I expect & what weight springs should I be looking at front and rear when I do upgrade?  I like a cushier hiway type ride.  Thanks.

Ever get any info on this?

@pax,  Sorry about delayed response.  It ended up that the '18 07 was sprung pretty well spot on for my weight.  This was very unusual in my experience.  Every metric bike I have ever owned (except my '72 CB750) has been quite undersprung for my weight.  I've always had to get heavier fork springs and different shocks to make them handle.  The MT07 came very close to being spot on, probably sprung for someone in the 200-210 lb. range.  I ended up getting adjustable fork caps and shortening the preload spacer and adding DDC cartridges from Cogent Dynamics.  Very nice ride now.  Stuck with stock shock.  Found it very acceptable.  Will probably go with a nice Ohlins after wearing out the original at 15-20k.

Hope this helps.

Scotto

Please Mister Fantasy play us a tune, something to make us all happy.    Stevie Winwood / Traffic, 1967

38 minutes ago, scotto said:

@pax,  Sorry about delayed response.  It ended up that the '18 07 was sprung pretty well spot on for my weight.  This was very unusual in my experience.  Every metric bike I have ever owned (except my '72 CB750) has been quite undersprung for my weight.  I've always had to get heavier fork springs and different shocks to make them handle.  The MT07 came very close to being spot on, probably sprung for someone in the 200-210 lb. range.  I ended up getting adjustable fork caps and shortening the preload spacer and adding DDC cartridges from Cogent Dynamics.  Very nice ride now.  Stuck with stock shock.  Found it very acceptable.  Will probably go with a nice Ohlins after wearing out the original at 15-20k.

Hope this helps.

Scotto

I did the same think with my 2017. Springs were good for me at 205lbs and added DDC’s. I am in the process of changing out the shock with an Ohlins however. 

Edited by 1tondriver

• Premium Member
cornerslider
On 8/20/2019 at 2:51 PM, scotto said:

Hope this helps.

Scotto

I've got an Ohlins STX46  I'd let go for $350 + shipping. I had it professionally serviced last winter. I've got two springs for it as well. It's currently set-up for a 200#-250# rider, but I've got another spring for a 150#-200# rider. I'm about 200# so thought I'd try both? I'll included BOTH springs if you're interested. I've put about 3,500 street miles on it this year. I'm hoping to do more track days next year, and want a K-Tech Razor. The Ohlins is geared more for street riding. I've just "outgrown" it-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member
On 8/21/2019 at 9:56 PM, cornerslider said:

I've got an Ohlins STX46  I'd let go for $350 + shipping. I had it professionally serviced last winter. I've got two springs for it as well. It's currently set-up for a 200#-250# rider, but I've got another spring for a 150#-200# rider. I'm about 200# so thought I'd try both? I'll included BOTH springs if you're interested. I've put about 3,500 street miles on it this year. I'm hoping to do more track days next year, and want a K-Tech Razor. The Ohlins is geared more for street riding. I've just "outgrown" it-

I'm interested. I'll PM you right now. @cornerslider

• Premium Member
cornerslider
On 8/27/2019 at 8:11 PM, fzar said:

I'm interested. I'll PM you right now. @cornerslider

Thumbs up to fzar- He's a stand-up member. I sold my Ohlins STX46 to him last night! It can be hard to trust the online world. Let's keep this forum classy, and NOT hose other members.... I've been a part of many forum groups, and this is by the BEST forum I've ever been a part of......

• Like 2

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member
19 hours ago, cornerslider said:

Thumbs up to fzar- He's a stand-up member. I sold my Ohlins STX46 to him last night! It can be hard to trust the online world. Let's keep this forum classy, and NOT hose other members.... I've been a part of many forum groups, and this is by the BEST forum I've ever been a part of......

I'm glad I got the opportunity to talk to you, and put in an offer on the Ohlins STX46, (trust me I am) and I'm sure I will be even more so when I get it on, and dialed in. @cornerslider