The MT-07 Forum

Too old for sportbikes?

emperor_Wurm

My bro-in-law dropped off an 04 R6 that had been sitting since 2012. I went through the bike and got it in top condition. After getting the bike sorted, I decided to take it for a spin. The last inline 4 sportbike I rode was back in 2010, when I was ran over. Anyhow, I had ridden sportbike since I was 15 year old and I do not remember it being this painful. I mainly rode Honda's, which were very comfortable, but my time with many OEM motorcycle manufacturers allowed me to right a number of bikes, the most uncomfortable being Suzuki. Anyhow, I rode this r6 for about 20 minutes, and my body couldn't take it anymore. My back was in pain, my wrists were aching. It was really strange not being comfortable on a bike as that is where I feel at home. I don't know, maybe I am just being a wuss, or maybe I really am too old for sportbikes.....(35 years old..)

2 hours ago, emperor_Wurm said:

.(35 years old..)

Damn man, I am 62 and ride a 2006 R1 Limited.  I will ride that bike all day long and then some.  frack bro at 35 and you are in that kin of pain, you best start working out and stop eating dounuts bro.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I wish I was still 35,,, being a super stud on my fo-fiddy enduro,,,,, skimmin the whoops and threadin thru the jack pines on my fav single trizack!!

LOL!! Joking! I never talked like that in real life. But I do miss riding the Michigan MCCT trails.  Everyone I know that still trail rides has switched to the dark side (quads,,,, yuck!!).

I still ride moto, vet track, but damn, I dont remember sportbikes being that uncomfortable. 

LOL, I wish these issues were from being a fatass eating too many donuts....My body is pretty jacked from getting hit head on in my truck by a drunk driver requiring spinal surgery, then a couple years later being ran over by an escalade on my SV650 breaking my pelivs into 7 pieces and snapping my fibula and tibia one one leg and breaking my ankle on the other.  I can still jump a dirt bike with minimal pain though....👍

The reason I started this thread was just to indicate that I may not be interested in putting clipons on the FZ anymore....just thought you'd like to know...

@emperor_Wurm I have had 4 back surgeries, countless black top bounces, plenty of over the cliff single tracks, a few high sides and far to many Hey Hold my beer watch this moments.  Its mind over matter, if you dont mind it dont matter :)

The R6 is a small bike, its cramped I am 6,1 I found the ergos way to combersome in stock form.  I find the FZ that way as well, but I am adapting it to my feel.  a Different set of rear sets, Vortex Clip ons or Graves, and your talking a differnt bike.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, emperor_Wurm said:

The reason I started this thread was just to indicate that I may not be interested in putting clipons on the FZ anymore....just thought you'd like to know...

I'm 49 years-old.... I've owned many sport bikes from "liter bikes" to a KTM RC390 (my last "proper" sport bike)... My neck is too beat up to ride a true sport bike anymore 😞... I do a fair amount of track days. I didn't like the OEM bars on the FZ-07. They were too high, and too narrow- I agonized over what to do about it. I eventually settled on the Renthal "ultra-lows". I couldn't be happier!!!! It seems like the perfect blend of comfort, and aggressive body position.

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

18 hours ago, r1limited said:

Damn man, I am 62 and ride a 2006 R1 Limited.  I will ride that bike all day long and then some.  frack bro at 35 and you are in that kin of pain, you best start working out and stop eating dounuts bro.

Not so fast!

lard lad.jpg

Lard Lad would destroy you!

Beemer

Everyone is different. I'm 59 with stock handlebars that cause me to have to lean forward just a little. That little bit is just enough to cause pain/kinks in my neck from having to cock my head upward to look straight out every time I ride. Rides usually last from 2-4 hours. I could never ride a super sport bike for very long. 30 minutes in the saddle on one of those and my neck would be killing me. Maybe it's the arthritis that's to blame, IDK for sure but still, everyone is different for different reasons.

Beemer

I've been riding and racing road and dirt since the 70's.  Still race WERA, etc as well as coach and do a ton of track time - like over 50 days a year.  I have an R1, an R6 and the FZ07R all setup as race bikes (I quit riding on the street a couple years ago).  I also spend off season time on my KTM 300XC - but no more dirt racing for me.  That being said, if I weren't going to the track I wouldn't even consider a sport bike.  Not for the street.  They are ill mannered, uncomfortable machines designed to be used in a way that just isn't safe on public roads.  I had a CBR1100XX sport tourer that was a MUCH better street bike, as well as many other bikes.  It isn't age either.  I think it's also the reason why sport bike sales are down so much.  People are finally starting to realize that a true sport bike like the R6 and R1 are just not as efffective on public roads as the FZ, MT, FJ, etc.  

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, Beemer said:

Everyone is different. I'm 59 with stock handlebars that cause me to have to lean forward just a little. That little bit is just enough to cause pain/kinks in my neck from having to cock my head upward to look straight out every time I ride. Rides usually last from 2-4 hours. I could never ride a super sport bike for very long. 30 minutes in the saddle on one of those and my neck would be killing me. Maybe it's the arthritis that's to blame, IDK for sure but still, everyone is different for different reasons.

I would love to be able to still ride a "proper" sport bike again.... My neck is too beat-up (I have titanium hardware), to ride a proper sport bike. That being said, my FZ-07 is the BEST choice for me- I have ZERO regrets. I just wish I had more options in bike choices. I think it's REALLY cool that us "older" riders are enjoying this bike!!!! I'm ten years behind you. I've been offered to ride some "high-end" FZ-07R's on the track....... I always have to decline 😞, I doubt I could see where I was going 🤣...... I refuse to grow old gracefully. Keep riding your ride 😀-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Archived