The MT-07 Forum

New MT-07 Owner

Ubet

Bought a new 2018 MT-07 on 5 Oct 2018.  I have 450 miles now and loving every minute.  This is my 24th bike. My last bike was a 1979 Honda CB750K  I bought from my daughter's boyfriend. It quit running shortly after he purchased so I bought and put about $2,500 into it to make it near new. I'm 61 and have been riding since age 11.  There is nothing like riding to help you feel like you have turned back the clock.  This bike is rapidly becoming my favorite. I'm breaking it in properly but still able to enjoy its torque, handling, and braking under 5,000 RPMs.  The MT is very comfortable and it doesn't cause any neck issues like a sport bike can for old necks like mine.  I paid $7,524 OTD which was much less than dealer's original best price of $9,103. This bike might be my last because it is all I need. No mods are planned ATT, however, after reading other's comments, I might look for a fly screen or a rear light kit.  I only ride on back roads since there are so many distracted drivers in the city and my old body would break badly if I crash. I'm averaging over 58 MPG.  Before my ride yesterday, I found my rear tire was low on air and removed a roofing nail at 390 miles. Bummer.  I used a plug kit and all seems fine but will keep a close eye.  This is only my second bike with fuel injection and it is great.  I'm rapidly getting use to the hard seat. For about 60 miles yesterday, I had no issues.  IMG_1529.thumb.JPG.8b4af72d67ca5d8cd080a0ab27c67cff.JPG

My previous bike, a 1979 Honda CB750K. It's the first year of the DOHC.  Paid $1,015, put $2,500 into it, enjoyed for almost four years and sold to a friend for $2,200 along with $38IMG_1571.thumb.JPG.8ec51707e94919bab34e5402193405a4.JPG0 worth of tools for the bike.  

• Premium Member

Welcome to the forum- I too chose the FZ-07 because my 49 year-old neck is too beat up to ride a "proper" sport bike anymore..... My only regret was not doing it sooner!!!!

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

The young man who bought my 2003 Superhawk 996 had no neck issues from Georgia to California and back.  Getting old is no fun but it's better than the alternative.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Ubet said:

Bought a new 2018 MT-07 on 5 Oct 2018.  I have 450 miles now and loving every minute.  This is my 24th bike. My last bike was a 1979 Honda CB750K  I bought from my daughter's boyfriend. It quit running shortly after he purchased so I bought and put about $2,500 into it to make it near new. I'm 61 and have been riding since age 11.  There is nothing like riding to help you feel like you have turned back the clock.  This bike is rapidly becoming my favorite. I'm breaking it in properly but still able to enjoy its torque, handling, and braking under 5,000 RPMs.  The MT is very comfortable and it doesn't cause any neck issues like a sport bike can for old necks like mine.  I paid $7,524 OTD which was much less than dealer's original best price of $9,103. This bike might be my last because it is all I need. No mods are planned ATT, however, after reading other's comments, I might look for a fly screen or a rear light kit.  I only ride on back roads since there are so many distracted drivers in the city and my old body would break badly if I crash. I'm averaging over 58 MPG.  Before my ride yesterday, I found my rear tire was low on air and removed a roofing nail at 390 miles. Bummer.  I used a plug kit and all seems fine but will keep a close eye.  This is only my second bike with fuel injection and it is great.  I'm rapidly getting use to the hard seat. For about 60 miles yesterday, I had no issues.  

Welcome to the like minded family of FZ/MT-07 owners. You got a decent deal on yours.✌️

There are many "more seasoned" riders who have chosen the 07 as their ride of choice and many of them hang out here. Myself being one of them. 👍

I know many people have gone lots of miles on a tire plug, but I strongly suggest you consider getting the  "get you off the side of the road" external plug solution replaced with a proper internal patch which is considered by many to be a much more secure puncture  solution.

There is lots of good information to be found here and a lot of good people too. I hope you enjoy hanging with us.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Welcome aboard!

I bought mine for its appeal to mature riders too and don't ride it in town (or on the road) either. 

Enjoy and safe travels!

3 hours ago, DewMan said:

Welcome to the like minded family of FZ/MT-07 owners. You got a decent deal on yours.✌️

There are many "more seasoned" riders who have chosen the 07 as their ride of choice and many of them hang out here. Myself being one of them. 👍

I know many people have gone lots of miles on a tire plug, but I strongly suggest you consider getting the  "get you off the side of the road" external plug solution replaced with a proper internal patch which is considered by many to be a much more secure puncture  solution.

There is lots of good information to be found here and a lot of good people too. I hope you enjoy hanging with us.

Agreed, I got a nail in a truck tire recently and took it to Good Year ( free fix and I didn't even buy my tires there, +10! ) and when I asked if they were going to plug it they said no, that's more a temporary fix, that they would do it right and patch it from the inside. The good guys at Good Year.

Beemer

intensity_white

Nice bike.  I have the same one.

Your chain looks like it might be a little loose.  Mine was too, and I needed to tighten it after about 250 miles.  Since then, zero problems.

• Premium Member

Welcome to the forum! I have the same year and color as well, love it. My chain also was pretty loose after a few hundred miles but I quickly fixed it. This is my very first bike for the road and, after reading through this forum, feel like I made a solid choice. Plus all the support from this forum has been fantastic. I don't have anyone to ride with so being able communicate through this forum for help and tips is the best

Thanks for the welcoming.  My HD friend at work also said I should replace my tire.  If I do, it will be hard because I;m  cheap and the tire is so new. Of course, if I die riding, people will say he didn't think his life was worth a $200 tire.  I used to have shops do internal patching until one failed on a car tire. No catastrophe, just a flat.  People make mistakes and I would constantly be thinking 'what if' my internal patch comes loose.  I have used plugs for many years now, not on bikes though, and have not lost air.  My car has three plugs for the last 35,000 miles w/o issue.  Two nails were in one new tire. It was my fault for parking where a bike shop uncrates new bikes.  I will research to see if I'm jeopardizing my life using a plug.  Good eye on my chain.  When I rode home after purchase (14 miles), I saw the chain was flopping around.  Was shocked to see the chain spec said 2 inches of movement is correct and mine was like 2.5 inches so I tightened before riding again. I'll be back. 

On tire plugs. Do motorcycle tires tend to fail catastrophically?

Anecdote: I had a rear tire puncture, no nail when I found it but a hole about nail sized, and only noticed due to increasing cornering effort. I pulled over, found the tire was flat but wasn't deformed much at all. The only reason I've been running with a plug since, about 2k miles ago, is how uneventful that flat was.

A rapid loss of air can cause a crash.  With a properly prepped and inserted tire cord plug, a rapid loss of air is unlikely.  Ari Henning went from coast to coast on a tire plug.  I never plan to go over 80 MPH. 

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/tire-repair-plugs-should-you-use-plugs-on-motorcycle-tires

Most tubeless motorcycle tyres have a layer of extremely soft rubber on the inside that acts as a self sealer. Even screws or nail holes will reclose to some extent and partially seal. Tyre sealant will close most quite well as a temporary measure ( high speed is NOT recommended). A quality plug in the tread area ( especially glued mushroom plugs) will seal for the life of the tyre. Sidewall punctures are pretty well stuffed though.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member
On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:20 AM, Ubet said:

I never plan to go over 80 MPH.  

Yeah, and I never "planned" to go over 100MPH.... It just kind of happened on a straight stretch of empty country road. 😁

✌️

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

My repaired tire might just save me for the next few years since I'm scared it could fail and make me road rash.  I do like to blast down empty country roads and my new bike is quicker and faster than my 1975 Kawasaki Z-1B which was labeled, "the fastest production vehicle in the world."  My Z-1 was ridden in the quarter mile at 12.37 seconds at 107.39 MPH and the MT-07 is 12.13 at 107.70.  Internet pic. Z-1.thumb.jpg.f819d4819a1af332429ca66222b89f09.jpg

Welcome aboard.  Very handsome bike. 

Exactly the same as the one I took delivery of on Tuesday.  I'm waiting for the wheather to warm up so I can get some miles on her. 

Light weight was the biggest draw for me.  At 67 yo I wanted a bike easy to control.

Please Mister Fantasy play us a tune, something to make us all happy.    Stevie Winwood / Traffic, 1967

Archived