Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
spacepimp

Side cover above rearsets

Recommended Posts

spacepimp

Hello everyone,

 

I have a 2016 FZ-07 in raven black and I want to change the side cover above the rearsets from silver to black. I am referring to part number 45 from Yamaha Parts House, under stand footrests. I know I can take off the piece and figure out a way to spray paint or shop paint it to my preferred color. However, from my understanding, some 2017 models of the FZ-07 have this piece in black from OEM. Do you guys know if I can purchase this part from a 2017 FZ-07 model from Yamaha Parts House and the piece will be shipped in black? If so, what is the specific model number and color of the bike I should be using when navigating this website? Any input will be greatly appreciated!

 

Cheers,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zephyr

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that the "GB" after FZ07 on Parts Warehouse is the color code for the bike.  You should be able to use the bike color code that has them factory black and order under that color code to get them in black.  A simple call into the website should also work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
r1limited

I painted mine, holding up very well too. 


“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spacepimp
12 hours ago, Zephyr said:

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that the "GB" after FZ07 on Parts Warehouse is the color code for the bike.  You should be able to use the bike color code that has them factory black and order under that color code to get them in black.  A simple call into the website should also work.

Yea, I sent them a website, they seemed to just be the middleman. I might have to call up a local authorized yamaha parts dealer. Thanks for the input!

 

7 hours ago, r1limited said:

I painted mine, holding up very well too. 

Oh nice! Do you mind recommending me your paint product/process in prepping the material surface?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
r1limited
1 hour ago, spacepimp said:

Yea, I sent them a website, they seemed to just be the middleman. I might have to call up a local authorized yamaha parts dealer. Thanks for the input!

 

Oh nice! Do you mind recommending me your paint product/process in prepping the material surface?

I cleaned it with simple green first.  Then used rubbing alcohol to wipe down any residual chemical or debris.  I popped off the black plugs "WITH EXTREME CARE" using Dupli-Color Acrylic enamel.

 

I put on one very thin coat meaning it was one pass over to sprinkle cover then let dry 30 min.

I repeated the above until I had a nice even coat and the density I wanted. 

  • Like 1

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spacepimp
46 minutes ago, r1limited said:

I cleaned it with simple green first.  Then used rubbing alcohol to wipe down any residual chemical or debris.  I popped off the black plugs "WITH EXTREME CARE" using Dupli-Color Acrylic enamel.

 

I put on one very thin coat meaning it was one pass over to sprinkle cover then let dry 30 min.

I repeated the above until I had a nice even coat and the density I wanted. 

Very cool, thanks for the information! Yea I think I am going to use this method. Doesn't sound too difficult, except removing that black plug haha. The acrylic enamel from dupli-color is a good product? Which color did you get, I'm thinking flat black.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
r1limited
2 minutes ago, spacepimp said:

Which color did you get

Flat Black


“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spacepimp

Nice, do you have a picture of your bike by any chance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
r1limited

Yes, Not good shitty phone cameral low light.  And I used Gloss not flat

 

 

fz07-1.jpg

fz07.jpg

Edited by r1limited

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spacepimp

It looks pretty good! Yea, flat black may work better with the overall aesthetics, but it seems like the acrylic paint is smooth, no runs/drips. I think i might even paint that gaurd piece attached to the rearsets. All black is a bad OCD, especially on a moto haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
r1limited

Ya, I never got around to doing that, then I would have to do the plates and sets.  then powder coat LOL

I am looking at rear sets at the moment, have yet to decide which....


“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spacepimp

You trying to go budget rearsets or premium? I've read the Woodcraft rearsets are solid at $400, but their website only seems to have them in uncoated aluminum...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
r1limited

No budget, just function, I am aiming at a street tracker build.  I am as well looking for the entire rolling chassis for the FZ07 that is GNC.

 

If I stick with the stock frame this means I need to build 19in front and rear, and a new swing arm (Maybe) Rake will have to be brought in so I am looking waiting fro a insurance wreck I can pick up cheap for the frame hacks

Edited by r1limited

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mjh937

@spacepimp, I ordered the part you are talking about for the 2017 ABS model.  Do not forget to order the disk at the bottom as well. 

 

F7CAC4DB-9CFC-4160-9E0A-A6743C59B7D6.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
c3tkeyo

For an extra $150 and a few weeks wait they will powder coat them black 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
robbo10

I think I shall have to get out my spay can of satin black and get on with it. 

  • Like 1

Just do it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DewMan
2 hours ago, c3tkeyo said:

For an extra $150 and a few weeks wait they will powder coat them black 

That would make them $550 which opens up a lot of other alternatives at that price point.

Edited by DewMan

DewMan
 
Just shut up and ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vitaltears

I just painted mine semi gloss black with a clear coat. 10 min job for $10 paints.

 

37537596_295349257688124_7970910271411585024_n(1).thumb.jpg.fee31b38156b9ccc701babf250881858.jpg

Edited by vitaltears
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
r1limited
7 hours ago, c3tkeyo said:

For an extra $150 and a few weeks wait they will powder coat them black 

So they are roughly 30 to 60 bucks a pop, Cheapest seen was 29.99 but typical 59.00 OEM.  Thats $119.00 with out tax, then add 150 for Powder coat, Thats roughly $300 smackers.  That is a Hord Airbox, or a Flash or tires, or a lid on black friday or a bunch of happy meals.

 

some one said 10$ and half a day.  Boom

 

DropMIC.jpg

  • Like 1

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
elmo

Agree 100%, just paint the covers and spend $300 on a Hord air box, that's exactly what I did 2 years ago.

If possible add a Full Yoshi and tune and you will be smiling.

 

1035980587_rear_brake_reservoir_bracket_20180912_2059351.thumb.jpg.d925c87afdc301f281cfc11d4aed9fe6.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shinyribs
On 11/15/2018 at 4:59 PM, spacepimp said:

Hello everyone,

 

I have a 2016 FZ-07 in raven black and I want to change the side cover above the rearsets from silver to black. I am referring to part number 45 from Yamaha Parts House, under stand footrests. I know I can take off the piece and figure out a way to spray paint or shop paint it to my preferred color. However, from my understanding, some 2017 models of the FZ-07 have this piece in black from OEM. Do you guys know if I can purchase this part from a 2017 FZ-07 model from Yamaha Parts House and the piece will be shipped in black? If so, what is the specific model number and color of the bike I should be using when navigating this website? Any input will be greatly appreciated!

 

Cheers,

If you want to strip the side covers of anything not metal ( any plastic clips, plugs,etc.) I can powdercoat them for you. Semi-gloss black would hold up better. I would advise against true flat black since it's very "chalky" and never holds up well IME. I have a few things waiting around to be coated, so it'd just be a couple extra pieces in the batch. Would cost you $20 plus whatever return shipping would be. They'd get glass beaded blasted before coating.  I'm at 24122 if you want to get a shipping quote. 

 

If you don't want to alter your originals you should be able to snag a used pair off eBay for a decent price. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DewMan
35 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

If you want to strip the side covers of anything not metal ( any plastic clips, plugs,etc.) I can powdercoat them for you. Semi-gloss black would hold up better. I would advise against true flat black since it's very "chalky" and never holds up well IME. I have a few things waiting around to be coated, so it'd just be a couple extra pieces in the batch. Would cost you $20 plus whatever return shipping would be. They'd get glass beaded blasted before coating.  I'm at 24122 if you want to get a shipping quote. 

 

If you don't want to alter your originals you should be able to snag a used pair off eBay for a decent price. 

 

 

I appreciate your generosity. Too bad I don't have the time to take you up on your offer at this time. 👍


DewMan
 
Just shut up and ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spacepimp
9 hours ago, shinyribs said:

If you want to strip the side covers of anything not metal ( any plastic clips, plugs,etc.) I can powdercoat them for you. Semi-gloss black would hold up better. I would advise against true flat black since it's very "chalky" and never holds up well IME. I have a few things waiting around to be coated, so it'd just be a couple extra pieces in the batch. Would cost you $20 plus whatever return shipping would be. They'd get glass beaded blasted before coating.  I'm at 24122 if you want to get a shipping quote. 

 

If you don't want to alter your originals you should be able to snag a used pair off eBay for a decent price. 

 

 

Hey! Yea, that is something I would be interested in. When do you plan on doing the work? I was planning on putting the bike in winter storage around mid December. No rush if you wanted to wait until next year, I just wanted to get an idea of your schedule. Feel free to PM me, I'm not able to send messages yet, maybe because I am a new member. Thanks for the offer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shinyribs
14 hours ago, spacepimp said:

Hey! Yea, that is something I would be interested in. When do you plan on doing the work? I was planning on putting the bike in winter storage around mid December. No rush if you wanted to wait until next year, I just wanted to get an idea of your schedule. Feel free to PM me, I'm not able to send messages yet, maybe because I am a new member. Thanks for the offer!

I can do it anytime that works for you. I'm always doing small batches here and there. I'll shoot you a pm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3crows

You could use a rattle can black of your chose and then clear coat with the two part Spra Max clear. This is professional grade two part clear that drys super tough and can be color sanded, available clear and matte and comes in a rattle can (a can inside a can). I just used it to clear the fly screen fairing on my 15 675R Stripple. The stuff is superb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  


×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.