The MT-07 Forum

Friendly reminded to check your throttle slop

RojoRacing

As someone who always preps my own bikes a sloppy throttle is something rare because once set it doesn't really change.  This week I was so caught up with everything different on this new motorcycle and riding position that I failed to notice how sloppy the throttle was.  It's not bad by any means but when you're used to instant feedback, a little feels like a lot.  Most riders don't even know that their throttle slack could be a little tighter and how it can help with off to on throttle smoothness as well as blipping when down shifting.  This isn't just a street rider thing ether, most every racers bike I've jumped on outside of the factory teams could use an adjustment to their throttle slack. 

If you know how to adjust you throttle cables then my preferred method it to get the nuts loose and cables tight enough to where the throttle feel good with no slop and then start up the bike.  Make sure to turn the bars to full steering lock both left and right, turning the bars will cause the cables to tighten ever so slightly so if you hear you rmps go up at all then back off the cable tension a half a turn and try turn the bars again.  If its all go bar lock to bar lock then tighten the adjuster nuts and test the steering again for good measure.  Now go out and enjoy a crisper throttle response.  

A sloppy throttle can lead riders to complain about abrupt initial throttle input because of muscle memory and point of reference inputs.  A rider closes the throttle to it's stop, it a solid feeling you no well.  Then the rider starts to turn the throttle to feed in a little gas but for the first couple degrees of rotation nothing happens.  The bike is now scrubbing even more speed or if you're mid corner it's falling into the corner further in this moment of throttle hesitation.  You start turning the throttle sightly faster to make up for the delay and suddenly at 10 degs of rotation you get a jolt of power because you're now turn the throttle twice as fast as when you first started the input.  I'm not claiming this is the actual reason for the snatchy throttles you guys all complain about before re-flashing the ecu but I believe that slight change in rider input can exaggerate the problem.

NOTE  that some riders prefer some throttle slop and on dirt bikes a little slop can keep you from accidentally giving it gas when braking hard over super rough braking ruts. 

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, RojoRacing said:

As someone who always preps my own bikes a sloppy throttle is something rare because once set it doesn't really change.  This week I was so caught up with everything different on this new motorcycle and riding position that I failed to notice how sloppy the throttle was.  It's not bad by any means but when you're used to instant feedback, a little feels like a lot.  Most riders don't even know that their throttle slack could be a little tighter and how it can help with off to on throttle smoothness as well as blipping when down shifting.  This isn't just a street rider thing ether, most every racers bike I've jumped on outside of the factory teams could use an adjustment to their throttle slack. 

If you know how to adjust you throttle cables then my preferred method it to get the nuts loose and cables tight enough to where the throttle feel good with no slop and then start up the bike.  Make sure to turn the bars to full steering lock both left and right, turning the bars will cause the cables to tighten ever so slightly so if you hear you rmps go up at all then back off the cable tension a half a turn and try turn the bars again.  If its all go bar lock to bar lock then tighten the adjuster nuts and test the steering again for good measure.  Now go out and enjoy a crisper throttle response.  

A sloppy throttle can lead riders to complain about abrupt initial throttle input because of muscle memory and point of reference inputs.  A rider closes the throttle to it's stop, it a solid feeling you no well.  Then the rider starts to turn the throttle to feed in a little gas but for the first couple degrees of rotation nothing happens.  The bike is now scrubbing even more speed or if you're mid corner it's falling into the corner further in this moment of throttle hesitation.  You start turning the throttle sightly faster to make up for the delay and suddenly at 10 degs of rotation you get a jolt of power because you're now turn the throttle twice as fast as when you first started the input.  I'm not claiming this is the actual reason for the snatchy throttles you guys all complain about before re-flashing the ecu but I believe that slight change in rider input can exaggerate the problem.

NOTE  that some riders prefer some throttle slop and on dirt bikes a little slop can keep you from accidentally giving it gas when braking hard over super rough braking ruts. 

It pairs nicely with the R6 throttle tube, imho.

Once when I had sever throttle slop.... Never mind it was a one date deal anyway

Great info, pet peave of mine or should I say kinda anal about that too ;)

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Throttle cable maintenance it one of those things that I never really thought about.... up until I let a friend race my 250, and they came back in the crash truck with a snapped cable

Live and learn?

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

53 minutes ago, zombiphone said:

Throttle cable maintenance it one of those things that I never really thought about.... up until I let a friend race my 250, and they came back in the crash truck with a snapped cable

Live and learn?

🤦‍♂️

• Global Moderator
On 11/14/2018 at 9:40 AM, zombiphone said:

Live and learn?

of all people zombi
sheesh.... :P

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

11 minutes ago, sorkyah said:

of all people zombi
sheesh.... :P

Racing is expensive. If I fixed things BEFORE they reached catastrophic failure, I'd never be able to afford it!

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

• Global Moderator
15 minutes ago, zombiphone said:

Racing is expensive. If I fixed things BEFORE they reached catastrophic failure, I'd never be able to afford it!

too true.... too true

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Archived