The MT-07 Forum

Proper shifting points?

TylerNT02

• Premium Member

So I have all of my experience from racing dirt bikes for about 3 years. I learned everything myself from trial and error and a lot of YouTube ha! Anyways I was reading the owners manual and it has a picture of "proper shifting points". To me it seems way off. At what speeds/rpm do you all go by to decide when to up/downshift? 

Screenshot_20181111-142348_Drive.jpg

NRWhiteKnight

The shift points in the manual are for best fuel economy and reduces stress on the engine and transmission. I tend to shift in the 4k to 6k range, unless I am in for some spirited riding, and then it's in the 8K range, but nothing extreme. I find the 4 - 5K range still makes the bike fun to ride, while getting good fuel mileage.

2018 MT-07 - Mods: Shorty Levers, Radiator Guard, Puig Sport Windscreen,Air box  Snorkel Removed.

• Premium Member

I am still in my break in period so my shifting has been close to the 4.5k range. As for my down shifting, I really base that off of speed and engine feel. I really like the aggressive engine brake but blip it if I want a more smooth stop. How do you your downshifts? 

You will learn, just like the dirt bike when "YOUR" Shift points will work.  I short shift a lot, I also let the motor pull to its heart content before shift.  I have never hit rev limit, just knows when to shift me left foot does.  Its the dangdest thing

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

33 minutes ago, TylerNT02 said:

I just find it completely unnatural to be in 6th and only going 28 😂

That is quite unnatural . Mine doesn't like anything under 3000 rpm especially in the

higher gears. 3500 to 4500 is cruse mode. 

I rarely look at the tach when shifting.  The sound of the engine and the amount of vibration I feel through the bars and pegs are my shift indicators.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

• Premium Member

I go off of engine sound as well, but after riding an old 2 stroke dirt bike for a few years I don't pay much attention at all to vibrations anymore

42 minutes ago, Liquidmetal said:

When following normal traffic, I would upshift around what the manual say, but I more or less use the same points for downshifting. If accelerating quicker, I would rev the engine to about 4500 rpm. Very rarely did I go past 7500 rpm, even when riding fast, because the engine felt harsh and strained up there to me - much more fun to ride the higher midrange between 4500 and 7500 rpm.

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

I tend to shift at 3000-4000 rpm most of the time, as I usually just totter along.   However, when I do get the urge to go fast, I find that shifting at around 6500 rpm (peak torque) really gets you moving in a hurry.   

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

11 hours ago, Liquidmetal said:

I rarely look at the tach when shifting.  The sound of the engine and the amount of vibration I feel through the bars and pegs are my shift indicators.

True

Once the 07 was fitted with the yosh and flash from @2wheeldynoworks this became more El'Natural.  Rarely do I look at the take, its feel and audio. 

@TylerNT02 If your in 6th gear going 28, maybe your left foot aint in sync with yoru right brain and your write rist :) is not in sync with your left brain.  This may work with a HD, but man,,,,

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Simple.

If the engine lugs then drop a gear, if it's not pulling then up a gear.  I stay in the 4-6k range.

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, r1limited said:

True

Once the 07 was fitted with the yosh and flash from @2wheeldynoworks this became more El'Natural.  Rarely do I look at the take, its feel and audio. 

@TylerNT02 If your in 6th gear going 28, maybe your left foot aint in sync with yoru right brain and your write rist :) is not in sync with your left brain.  This may work with a HD, but man,,,,

Haha no I would never be going 28 in 6th that's just what the manual states. Mentioning your yoshi exhaust, how do you like that with the tune? My bike is all stock except for a full Yoshimura I had the dealer put on when I bought it. I've been wanting a tune but don't quite have the funds yet. I want to go with 2wheeldynoworks but want to wait till I winterize my bike to send off the Ecu 

• 1 month later...

These are the shift points I use on my 2018 MT 07. Obviously less throttle means  lower revs and less speed. I normally shift around 6k to 8k because I dont give a shet about mpg, I'll put the highs and lows for ya.

Shift anywhere in:

1st 0 to 30mph

2nd 12 to 45

3rd 26 to 65 (I wind it out here I like the torque and shift into 4th when I'm done getting up to speed) 

4th 35 to 65 (my cruising gear I chill here at 40 to 50 mph ALOT around town)

5th 50 to 80

6th 60 to infinity and beyond.

During break in period I kept it under 4k RPM. Now that it's over and I got my synthetic oil in I'm really having a ball with this bike. The shift points in the manual are so dumb they are a liability and will probably lead to a class action lawsuit for lugged engines.

You can shift anywhere in the mph I stated, I do, it's totally situational. If I'm in 2nd and I need to pass some1 quick, guess what I'm not going to 3rd, I'll run from 12mph to 50mph in second then shift up to 5th when its damn convenient and safe to do so. These bikes are made to rev high, so high that I've never hit the limiter with my aggressive shifting. Optimal torque ratio is actually achieved a 10krpm shifts in every gear.

Just do what feels right, I personally would rather hit a rev limiter than lug an engine but that's just me. Also note, I rarely need to look at my speedo for any reason, you'll eventually get a sense for when you like to shift. If my eco light is on in 1st 2nd or 3rd I know I'm going dangerously slow. Ride safe bro. Goodluck!

Shift Point #1: Shift when its spittin and sputtering, its a good sign the rev limiter is engaged

Shift Point #2: Shift from 1st to 2nd, to 3rd, to 4th, to 5th then 6th when needed

Shift Point #3: Shift from 6th to 5th, to 4th, to 3rd, to 2th then 1st when slowing down and needed

Shift Point #4: Never Shift from 1st to 6th within 100 feet or less and going 40 MPH amd or slower

Shift Point #5: Never Shift from 6th to 1st within 100 feet or less ESPECIALLY and going 40 MPH amd faster

Shift Point #6: Never, Ever, Never Shift while trying to impress the hot chic in the vet next to you, just hold it in 1st and floor it, this will make her laugh and chances are your never going to make it with her anyway, you freakin own a Fz 07, shes in a vet, so ya might as well try to win her over with humor

Archived