The MT-07 Forum

Retired Racer + Blown Up Ninja = New member

RojoRacing

Just got back from picking up my new Matte Grey MT-07 with Rossi Yellow wheels.  I used to race superbikes all over the world then retired when racing in the US tanked.  After that picked up a ninja 250 to save gas and 120,000 miles later it tossed it's counter-shaft bearing and locked up the whole drive train.  I may tear it apart and fix it or I may just part it out because it has a ton of custom work to it but in the mean time I figured I needed a replacement form of Socal Traffic avoidance.  I'd been calling around for the last two weeks seeing who wanted to deal vs who were just stating MSRP plus fees and worked out what I think was a great deal with Motoworld of El Cajon.  Payed cash to keep things simple then did a quick 100 mile loop in the San Diego mountains to break her in.  

First Impressions

Damn this throttle turns forever.  I've got a past wrist injury so I always end up swapping throttle tubes or whole assemblies but damn it's always a shock each time I get on a new bike with a stock throttle.

Shifting is super light but the lever travel is insanely long so I'll also be shortening that up asap as well as flipping the linkage to reverse the shifting to my preferred direction. 

Suspenion is much stiffer then what I thought it was going to be based off everyone's complaints on the forums.  It still has plenty of fork dive when hard on the brakes but it's nothing compared to a stock ninja 250.  I'm well aware my 2018 comes with stiffer suspension so I just wanted to confirm it feels fine.  

Brakes are still bedding in but seem to have decent enough power for the street, I didn't really get on the binders all to hard just yet to test their limits.  The feel is definitely a bit soft due to the cheaper master and rubber lines.  I ran a R6 caliper with 320mm rotor and brembo RCS15 master on the ninja so I'll likely upgrade the lines on this bike first and then possibly an RCS17 master if that's not enough to get the crisp feel I like. 

Exhast is so quite it may as well be an electric bike but that was expected.  Plan is the Yosh R77 in carbon based a recommendation from the head of yamaha HQ service department(he's a friend) and the pure awesome sound it makes.  Ecu tune as well of course. 

A god damn tour wind screen because this is my commuter bike and I'm always at 80-85 mph which ain't fun right now for more then a couple seconds.

Motor feels good with smooth power all the way through 8k which is as high as I've taken it so far.  Just enough power to be excessive for normal street use but not so much to pitch newer riders off the first cliff they get to.  i know what a 220 formula extreme bike feels like when you have to fight to keep the wheel down out of a 4 gear turn because traction control and wheelie control weren't invented back then.  I know what a lame 28hp feels like on a ninja 250 and honestly for street use that was just fine and in the hand of a good rider is enough to shame most canyon racers on what ever bike they choose.  I'm happy with this middle ground power because when I finally mount my mtb to it, it should still have enough power to cruise in 6th gear down the hwy where the little ninja would sometime struggle to do the 70 mph speed limit. 

So far the bike is exactly as I had hoped it would be and I think I'll be happy with it for the next 100,000 miles. 

Out with the old

10329954_10152359043804536_5525803870138406826_o.thumb.jpg.2b7d826950b749a224caa30a5d4400fc.jpg

In with the new

1298271654_MT-07firstday.thumb.jpg.c85243b7da957e45baf05f959c72ed7e.jpg

• Premium Member

Congrats on the new commuter!

I like where you're going with it. Keep us in the loop when you do your upgrades.

I appreciated your perspective of the MT-07 as a former racer.

What are your thoughts of the engine braking/fuel cut off of the throttle? Some love the engine braking Others are very happy to tame it down with a 2WDW ECU flash. The throttle is so much smoother with a proper tune.

Welcome to the family of MT/FZ-07 owners.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

6 minutes ago, DewMan said:

Congrats on the new commuter!

I like where you're going with it. Keep us in the loop when you do your upgrades.

I appreciated your perspective of the MT-07 as a former racer.

What are your thoughts of the engine braking/fuel cut off of the throttle? Some love the engine braking Others are very happy to tame it down with a 2WDW ECU flash. The throttle is so much smoother with a proper tune.

Welcome to the family of MT/FZ-07 family.

If you think it's bad on this bike you should have felt it on the 2005 R6's.  It was so upsetting trying to crack open the throttle at the corner apex and all we could do back then was try adding fuel at 0% throttle which only helped a little.  I remember Chuck Graves finally giving me a tip while at pike peak to get it smoother.  On the MT-07 I can feel it but on the street it;s not like it's in your face and honestly when I tried test it, it seems smooth enough to me.  I think it's jerky only when you're not smooth with the throttle which is rare for me.  I plan to feel it out over the next few weeks and try it both ways with the ECU tune to get a better opinion. 

NRWhiteKnight

Welcome the to the group and congrats on the new purchase.

2018 MT-07 - Mods: Shorty Levers, Radiator Guard, Puig Sport Windscreen,Air box  Snorkel Removed.

Congrats, welcome, when were you racing? what #

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Welcome and congrats! There are mostly older, experienced riders here but even so, any riding tips would be appreciated and I'm sure you have a few to share. I think you find the MT-07 to be an excellent commuter as well. With the torque this thing has it pulls away from traffic like a champ and has pretty good power all around. Stay frosty!

P.S. that lil' Ninja looks nice!

Beemer

2 hours ago, r1limited said:

Congrats, welcome, when were you racing? what #

What #?  🤣 well that depends on what part of the world because I've been around a bit.

Based in California I raced willow springs as I got started in 2001 on an RS-125 then a GSXR600

2002 doing some WSMC, CCS and AFM

2003 was going to do AMA but while in daytona I guess rode the BMW in the boxer cup and go picked up and sent to Europe.  Pisked up a 2003 R6(first year for fuel injection) and was the first rider to break into 1:21's at willow springs in a Race against the man Chuck Graves himself.  Later that year he lent me his R7-1 project bike Daimian Buckmaster rode to the AMA Formula Extreme championship to race in China at the Macu GP, his a video of the event for those who don't know of it.  The R7-1 bike was like a heavier modern day moto gp bike if you removed all the traction control and rider aids,  It had well over 200hp and could do roll on wheelies in 5th gear.  

2004-2006 Rode the R-6 and R-1 in AMA and one of those years I won the AMA superbike rookie of the year while touring every track west of Texas collection yamaha contingency money in between AMA events.  I think back then we were racing over 30 weekends out of the year. I think I still hold a few course records to this day on the R-6 and R-1 which is crazy considering it's been 12 years.  Tires must be real shet these days due to spec tire rules. 

2007 went to Europe again to test for a Suzuki team in world superstock but after a few months I pulled the plug because Italians are shady 🤣  I think that was also the year I was on the offical riders list for MotoGP for team Bimotta along teammate Gary Mccoy but the team was only able to secure 6 million $ which was 2 million short of what was need 😭 Came back to the USA and did more of the same AMA and west coast stuff till the politics started making it feel like a unfortunate job.  

2008 retired just before yamaha and most every manufacture pulled the plug on their contingency programs which was good timing because racing that year wouldn't have been profitable enough to sustain.  My sponsors tell me I peaked in speed 3 years too early or 3 years to late. If only a started riding when I was 4 years old instead of in 2000 when I was already 15 years old. 

2009 to present I've racing enduro on a YZF-250, raced ultra marathons which are 100 mile running races held on mountain trails, won dozens of 12-24hr solo mountain bike races most of which I traveled to with the above pictured ninja 250,  finished 2nd overall and 1st american twice at the 24hr world championships(road bicycles).  Now I've got a brand fresh project MT-07 to distract me for the next years as I think of how I can personalize it for me. 

A very short but colorful career but as they say "twice as bright, half as long" 

Who can guess my name?  

Also I forgot to mention while I was picking up the MT-07 yesterday there was a blue one being bought by I guy named Tyler at the same time.  I invited him to come ride with me on my break in ride but he looked a bit green and I'm not sure he had his gear ready.  I hope he finds this forum as he learns about his new bike.  

46 minutes ago, Beemer said:

Welcome and congrats! There are mostly older, experienced riders here but even so, any riding tips would be appreciated and I'm sure you have a few to share. I think you find the MT-07 to be an excellent commuter as well. With the torque this thing has it pulls away from traffic like a champ and has pretty good power all around. Stay frosty!

P.S. that lil' Ninja looks nice!

Thanks the little ninja was a sick little bike once it was fully setup.

I'm a decent enough mechanic/engineer and I got a few techniques unique to myself most of which have fallen out of fashion in the slipper clutch traction control age but could still be helpful on a bare bones bike.  If someone in the socal region wants to show me where the fun roads are in the future I may be down for a chill group ride.  

58 minutes ago, RojoRacing said:

Who can guess my name?  

Lucifer

Rolling stones

Oh waitnever mind

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I love the fact that most of the people complaining about not enough power are NOT racers or ex-racers.  Welcome , this bike is fun once you clean up the suspension and throttle response/fuelling.  Not many bikes have the 07's ride it like a little old lady ( although you should meet some of the little old ladies I know) , tour it or ride it like a looney, and it just does it . 

Front end never gets to feel  fully planted, but everything else makes up for it. If you find a cure  let us all know.  I am thinking 07 tracer swingarm, but with your experience you may find a better cure than climbing all over the front.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

One thing. I will be VERY interested to know the thoughts of someone with your experience on the giantness of the  rear tyre size ...or not.

6 hours ago, gregjet said:

One thing. I will be VERY interested to know the thoughts of someone with your experience on the giantness of the  rear tyre size ...or not.

Like the ladies says it's not the size that matters as much as how you use it.  At first glace I thought the tire looked pretty big for a 70 hp street bike but then anything looks bike compared to the 130 on my ninja.  So how do you determine tire size of a bike? by HP, chassis size or bike weight?  The size of the tire is always going to be secondary to the desired profile you want for your use.  I'd say the bike right now is a bit reluctant to hold it's line through a corner similar to my ninja when my tires would get squared off.  I always run 120-70 race or track front tires for the steeper side profile as it will hold it line better in a corner.  I see this bike comes with a 120-70 already but it's a model is meant for street riding which is slightly flatter which gives better stability on the hwy especially in cross winds. 

You'll learn with me that I'm not afraid to mix and match tire models and brand front to rear.  I buy my rear tire hard enough to last me a long time and my front tire for it's aggressive profile and soft enough to wear out about the same time as my rear.  On the ninja I'd run a Pilot road radial in the rear because it would last 10,000 miles and buy pirelli or dunlop race takeoff from the local racers for my front tires.  If you don't like how your bike corners go buy a front race takeoff for $50, you'll be amazed how much difference it can make.  I had I guy on a BMW RT1200 bring his bike to me so I could test ride it and tell him why it wouldn't turn into a corner, he was right the thing steered like a pregnant cow.  I went through the whole front end of his bike to check for binding or stiction in the suspension but after an hour or so I told him lets mount the 30 lap old race tire off the ninja just for the hell of it.  I damn near dropped the bike turning out of the driveway it turned so well.  Since then he has run race tires on his bikes and just changes them more often as a trade off for better handling. 

Seems you have come to a similar conclusion as I.

Most bikes this size and weight ( even heavier) that it have ridden and raced , had a 160/60 on the back not a supersport sized 180/55. I suspect ( not yet proven), that a change to a 170/60 will help the vague line holding and I will be trying that very soon, hopefully. A 160/60 just won't fit the rim and I still think it would be a better size. Still looking for a 4.5 rim that will fit to try a 160 on.

Big problem here is the lack of twisties to play the tyre edge.

38 minutes ago, gregjet said:

Seems you have come to a similar conclusion as I.

Most bikes this size and weight ( even heavier) that it have ridden and raced , had a 160/60 on the back not a supersport sized 180/55. I suspect ( not yet proven), that a change to a 170/60 will help the vague line holding and I will be trying that very soon, hopefully. A 160/60 just won't fit the rim and I still think it would be a better size. Still looking for a 4.5 rim that will fit to try a 160 on.

Big problem here is the lack of twisties to play the tyre edge.

No lack of twisties in California but then again pushing a bike limits is best saved for the track.  Watching this video after so many years it's amazing that little motor held up for 100K miles.  I wonder if I'll ever take the MT to the track like I did the ninja.  It was a fun day at the track because it was combined cars and bikes day so my dad and I were competing for lap times against each other.  Me on the $4000 ninja against him in his $45000 370Z Nismo, the results were I beat him but only by one tenth of a second.  Goes to show no matter how much you spend on a fast car, some little motorcycle at 1/10th the cost will still be faster.

I don't think I had tire warmers so the first lap is slow. 

On 11/11/2018 at 7:42 AM, RojoRacing said:

Who can guess my name?  

Nice pedigree, welcome again.  👍

Wooah I wiggled the blanket off my couch while watching the video fullscreen. I was the fastest kid when we rode 50 ccm mopeds back in the 90s, but now i have no trust in public roads even to try driving 50% of this pace with a "big" bike like my 07. I will have a professional training next year on a track just to get a little idea of what is possible.

On 11/12/2018 at 10:25 PM, RojoRacing said:

No lack of twisties in California but then again pushing a bike limits is best saved for the track.  Watching this video after so many years it's amazing that little motor held up for 100K miles.  I wonder if I'll ever take the MT to the track like I did the ninja.  It was a fun day at the track because it was combined cars and bikes day so my dad and I were competing for lap times against each other.  Me on the $4000 ninja against him in his $45000 370Z Nismo, the results were I beat him but only by one tenth of a second.  Goes to show no matter how much you spend on a fast car, some little motorcycle at 1/10th the cost will still be faster.

I don't think I had tire warmers so the first lap is slow. 

Very cool!.....thank you for sharing that. It was really fun to watch 😀

5 hours ago, ElGonzales said:

Wooah I wiggled the blanket off my couch while watching the video fullscreen. I was the fastest kid when we rode 50 ccm mopeds back in the 90s, but now i have no trust in public roads even to try driving 50% of this pace with a "big" bike like my 07. I will have a professional training next year on a track just to get a little idea of what is possible.

If you take anything away from that video it should be how most riders even track day regulars brake way too early and way too soft. You have to keep in mind that even though my little ninjas brakes weren’t stock, they are still complete shet compared to any 600 or 1000’s stock dual rotor setup. I would teach my students to pick two corners on course with two defined braking markers and focus on maximum braking power at the cost of corner speed. If they found they were stopping way too soon for the corner and then coasting in or accelerating through then they should move the braking point up 10’ or yards till it started to feel like they were approaching a limit. 

#1 loss of speed for novice and non racers is not corner speed, it’s early and soft braking. 

brakes are so over rated

They just slow you down

Archived