The MT-07 Forum

Oil Filter - High Flow

rhino

you need to compare the micron rating. IIRC, these hiflo filters actually had a lower micron rating than the oem filter.....but I did do this research over 10 years ago, so things may have changed.

Just now, rhino said:

Is there any need/benefit of using a High Flow oil filter (over the OEM)?  

No.

I happen use that filter because I get them in a 6 pak cheap (much cheaper than oem). It is manufactured to Yamaha factory specs. It is "high performance" only in name. It's just a run of the mill fluid filtering media with a bypass valve in a tin can. Works fine.

Use some kind of oil and change it frequently. The rest is snake oil.

Cheers

Food for thought

many race association gave up on aftermarket oil filters because they kept failing enough to cause concern, now many places require an oem filter to even pass tech inspection. 

11 hours ago, RojoRacing said:

Food for thought

many race association gave up on aftermarket oil filters because they kept failing enough to cause concern, now many places require an oem filter to even pass tech inspection. 

Actually, I'm not aware of it being exactly like this.  What is more accurate is that many race AND track organizations gave up on K&N filters, because THEY kept failing at such a high rate.  Hiflo unfortunately got in a few cases lumped in there because the HiFlo "Race" version also has a nut welded on the end of the filter similar to the K&N.  However, there are to my knowledge no known HiFlo failures.  As somebody else mentioned, K&N used to have HiFlo do their contract manufacturing of filters - and they had great results.  K&N subsequently cheaper out and moved their production elsewhere (cheap chinese contract manufacturing with low quality control) and that's when the problems came.  

To be honest, I'll use either OEM or HiFlo for my race bikes (FZ07R, R6 and R1).  I really have no preference.

Micron rating is a big buzz word.  Amsoil filters have the highest rating (Last I checked) but the most expensive.  As compared a K&N or OEM is 1/3 to 1/2 the price of that amsoil.  There are gadjets that add a magnet to the outside of the filter as well in the hops it causes the metal sediments to cling to the side.  BOULDER DASH waste of moola IMO.  To Point:

OEM is always best choice, 1st choice in my humble opinion.  After market like K&N, well they get bad raps like anyother if a recall is seen.  Nothing wrong with K&N, or Napa, Or  Purolator or whatever if "IF YOU CHANGE THE FILTER WITH EVERY OIL CHANGE" and do it religiously. 
The after market High rated microns are touted as long milage better cleaning potential blah blah blah right.  I see it this way in my highly intelectual unscientific mind.  Oil Fodder, filters get clocked they fill up, the object of a high micron meaning the material is denser and catches smaller particles in the filter is good, but higher milage no, as I see it, it gets dirtier faster catching all the uncatchables that OEM and others wont.

So I run Amsoil, I pay a Prefered Customer cost About 8 Bucks. and I change them every oil change, roughly about every 2000 miles.  If I was racing, OEM and change every race

Oh ya forgot

A quick GROOGLE search foudn these little items

https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterStudy.html

http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/index.shtml

Intersting to read

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Archived