The MT-07 Forum

Forums vs Facebook or Reddit groups.

Cruizin

When you post on this forum, Google reads and records your post within 24 hours. We built the website to work like that. This means that when you post a pic, new topic, helpful DIY tech tip or news, it goes up in google search results and it will be found and read by thousands of people for years to come. It will still get seen ten years from now. 

Post it in a facebook group, it will only be seen by members of that group ( and marketing companies collecting data on you) for a day, maybe 3 days max.  It doesn't show up in google search results.  Then it gets buried on the bottom of the FB group.  It's gone forever.   

Also. 

When you post on this forum, you choose a category. We have different categories for different topics. this makes your beautiful pics or helpful tech posts become very easy to find.  Good luck finding helpful engine, suspension, or lighting advice on Facebook or Reddit. Do a search, you might get lucky.  But probably not because of the nature of generic one page groups.  They are giant clusterphucks of everything all on one page, jumbled together. 

Lastly

There is no privacy on Facebook Groups, no matter what settings you may have set. Marketing companies compile your data and sell it to other companies. Facebook gives certain data companies, the govt, the police, full access to all of your data. Your friends, where you go via your phone, your private messages,  your posts, your locations, your political statements. Great effort is put into deciphering what you post on Facebook and classifying you into a profile. Then, companies market towards you via not just facebook, but all over. 

Here on fz07.org, we do not share or sell your info. We do not share your personal messages because our staff doesn't even have access to your personal messages. They are private, between you and the other recipient and they are also encrypted.  I would have to go to great lengths to read any of your messages, because of the many safeguards purposely built into this software. 

Furthermore

Facebook and Reddit are kind of generic. I love Reddit for interesting posts and stuff, but not for motorcycle info. This forum has tons more features than they offer. You can change colors here. And if you prefer a generic "all in one thread" look, then just go to "Browse" and click on "all activity".  It auto updates and you can even save that page to your favorites in your browser and always see this forum in one thread. 

Many of you don't even look around or use the features we have here. This isn't the "old style" forum. This place is full of features that you haven't found yet, and I am turning more on soon. 

Place your pin in the member map. You can then see who else is in your area, click on their pin and send them a PM and invite them to ride with you. Can't do that on Facebook or reddit. 

Go to your profile. Like on Facebook, you can write status updates and even  share things to other members profile, pics, vids, messages.    I bet most of you didn't know this. 

Go to "account settings".  There are a bunch of account controls in there you should at least look at. 

Forums were the original social media. And after Facebook and the like came out, we forum owners have been busy incorporating new features to our forums.  

Don't waste important helpful info someplace where it will just get buried and disappear in 24 hours. 

This is the social media site for MT-07 owners and we go to great lengths to protect your data and content. 

Very cool feature ‘s, few days ago did google search for Penshe shock rebuild and it  lead me to motorcycle adventure form. Read a 12-page post with photos that was totally awesome posted back in 2012.

We do have an associated facebook group, did it mostly just to let the wheelie kids know to come here for when they need tech help.  But yeah, facebook sucks for trying to find reliable tech help for motorcycles. 

Youtube is good though. And those videos can be shared in our tech tip section to make them easy to find. 

Forums are fantastic, useful resources. Like you said, Cruizin, the info stays around and searchable for a very long time. 

I don't do Facebook. Never was smart enough to figure out reddit. Forums I enjoy very much. 

Which is a good reminder to donate to this one! 

10 hours ago, shinyribs said:

Forums are fantastic, useful resources. Like you said, Cruizin, the info stays around and searchable for a very long time. 

I don't do Facebook. Never was smart enough to figure out reddit. Forums I enjoy very much. 

Which is a good reminder to donate to this one! 

Thank you sir!

• 2 weeks later...

I would say the majority of information gathering I've done has always been from forums for precisely reasons like- it doesn't disappear in a couple days, never to be found again, and comments can have pictures and tutorials, and ted to be more on topic.

Facebook, to me, is more personal, and a better place for one on one interaction, forums are a better place for information and discussion with people you don't already know (Which is just as valuable, especially when you're new to a hobby or sport)

Reddit, on the otherhand, is a blackhole that I'm avoiding, haha

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

Nothing beats a good ol fashion campfire and or garage bench razing session.  Unlike a forum, no one gets all butt hurt and cries to the mods.

I find all forms of social media personlly insulting to the intregity of human companionship.  We need to be looked at, heard, bonded in ways and forms NO SOCIAL outlet can provide.  Because of this we get the phenominom of keyboard nazi's who thrive on correct gramma including spelting cops and keyboard ninnies.  Call me old fashion, but I would rather make fun of you in person :)

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I am old fashioned too. Not the slightest bit interested in sharing anything outside this forum - google particularly who have now gained access to patient records of everyone in the UK!!! Well ph*** them, I say. So me no likey them at all (use it tho! 😊) . And I seem to be sharing my Vodafone mobile phone account with some crook  at the mo. Sharing, ugh!  But hey ho, you go ahead. I will tag along.

Just do it! 

• Premium Member

I love forums as a repository of information and a resource. I always read a lot more than I post, but I get a bit chatty from time to time.

Archived