The MT-07 Forum

Kawasaki Brings W800 to North America

bornagainbiker

I really liked the 650, but was not so happy with the 800 - it looked cheap and not right, despite being rather similar. The new 800, though, has got the details right. Nice.

I only gave it 1 👍

simply because it is a kawasaki.  I mean its a kawasaki for crap sack

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
36 minutes ago, r1limited said:

I only gave it 1 👍

simply because it is a kawasaki.  I mean its a kawasaki for crap sack

But it reminds me of a XS650 Yamaha from the 70s a whole lot more than Yamaha's XSR700 does, and that's the kind of style I like.  Besides, I'm pissed at Yamaha, for not bringing the Tracer 700 across the pond LOL.

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

2 minutes ago, bornagainbiker said:

But it reminds me of a XS650 Yamaha from the 70s a whole lot more than Yamaha's XSR700 does.

Cant agree, it looks more like another kawi rip off of the Bonnivile, just like when they copied the BSA A10

It that gear nuckle whatever on the side is a total rip off of Ducati

BSA-A10.jpg

Kawasaki-W650-68.jpg

Ducati-1.jpg

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

To Kawasaki's defense, the W1 was an enlarged version of the engine Meguro built with a licence from BSA, after Kawasaki bought the Meguro factory. So while it was similar to the BSA, it wasn't a rip-off. And the W650 was simply going for a classic niche in the market, just like Yamaha did when they copied Kawasaki and Suzuki by producing the DOHC inline four XS1100, or "copying" the long-running British 500cc scramblers with their XT and TT500s. Everybody copy each other when something is shown to work. If not, we would have very little products to choose from. Hence copying, hopefully with improvements included, benefit us as customers.

I like it well enough, it reminds me of an old neighbors Yamaha XS500. Edit: On second thought, it doesn't have kick start for back-up so naaaah! Just give me a XS500.

xs500.jpg

Beemer

Damnit, you guys got me juiced up about old bikes again. Thought I was over that when I got rid of a truck load of 2 stroke stuff last year and 3 XS650's the year before. Y'all are bad influences, I may have to go to my safe place or seek counseling somewhere besides this forum. 

😲

8 hours ago, faffi said:

Everybody copies Yamaha cus they cannot innovate.

^^ Fixed

Blasphomer

3 hours ago, mossrider said:

Nah, I like fuel injection and digital ignition too much. 

W800 even has ABS on top of those things. Just sayin' ;) 

Kawasaki said they were going to discontinue the W800 a while ago. Can't make up their minds.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived