The MT-07 Forum

Museum Motorcycles / Bikes of the Past

RIP

Over the weekend i found some pretty cool motorcycles at the Automotive Museum located in Balboa Park San Diego CA

First up, this old Indian...... I couldn't figure out what the WTF initials stood for, but I'm sure they weren't what I was thinking 

20181104_112939.thumb.jpg.58a2d37e974144975d5a4332c241dd4e.jpg

And I love the bicycle brakes on this 

20181104_113535.thumb.jpg.f12d01accf56702d0c867f5ba6b1d4ec.jpg

• Like 1

Well done, RIP. We have a museum owned by the racer in days of yore, Sammy Miller, in the south of England. My wife and I are regular visitors.

I started out motorcycling on an ex War Department kahki dispatch riders bike -an Ariel 350 Military - in 1955. It was super reliable. I have not seen one in a museum but I know they exist. 

We are celebrating nationally the end of WW2 and a Triumph of the period is on display in my village. Design is similar to your second picture. It has belt drive.

Love these old bikes.

• Like 1

Just do it! 

• 5 months later...
firstyammerha

going to San Diego for a weeks vacay in May. glad I looked into this string six months past. I've got another place to take in while there. the Lyons Museum is going to be another. hope it is as good as the Barber Museum.

• Like 1

FZ07R WaNaB
On 11/5/2018 at 8:27 PM, RIP said:

This is one of Steve McQueens old bikes that he use to race at Lake Elsinore CA

20181104_113221.thumb.jpg.a4e00fd20f50f91ecc5df4125c6ca795.jpg

Here's a link to a Honda Elsinore commercial with McQueen riding. It's very obvious he knows how to ride, and if you question me..... check out the second link where Brad Lackey and Jim Pomeroy were talking about McQueen. Lackey said "McQueen was a regular dude, and he could ride.". Considering Brad Lackey was the only American 500cc World MX Champion, I think he knows what he's talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXyVp7iw10Q

https://www.soloshawn.com/first-americans.html

Steve McQueen - the epitome of cool

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

Here's a link to a Honda Elsinore commercial with McQueen riding. It's very obvious he knows how to ride, and if you question me..... check out the second link where Brad Lackey and Jim Pomeroy were talking about McQueen. Lackey said "McQueen was a regular dude, and he could ride.". Considering Brad Lackey was the only American 500cc World MX Champion, I think he knows what he's talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXyVp7iw10Q

https://www.soloshawn.com/first-americans.html

Steve McQueen - the epitome of cool

Ride and drive, he left big Cajones marks all over San Fran!

• Like 1

Beemer

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 11:33 AM, firstyammerha said:

going to San Diego for a weeks vacay in May. glad I looked into this string six months past. I've got another place to take in while there. the Lyons Museum is going to be another. hope it is as good as the Barber Museum.

Right next to the Automotive Museum is the Aerospace Museum which is pretty cool to.....might want to check that out while your there also

• 1 month later...
firstyammerha

Hey RIP, I checked out Balboa Park laying out the vacation next week and it looks like there's enough stops for a gearhead to kill the day. Talking about Brad Lackey, I had a wall poster of him leaned over in a berm, practically dragging his elbows,exiting with the front wheel about six inches off the ground. Wonder what I did with it? I had another poster of Danny LaPorte in Europe on his Suzuki doing something similar but it's vanished too. Great photos that left an impression. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, firstyammerha said:

Hey RIP, I checked out Balboa Park laying out the vacation next week and it looks like there's enough stops for a gearhead to kill the day. Talking about Brad Lackey, I had a wall poster of him leaned over in a berm, practically dragging his elbows,exiting with the front wheel about six inches off the ground. Wonder what I did with it? I had another poster of Danny LaPorte in Europe on his Suzuki doing something similar but it's vanished too. Great photos that left an impression. 

Yeah Balboa Park is pretty cool....theres a lot to see. As I mentioned earlier, right next door to the Automotive Museum there is the Aerospace Museum, cant miss it as there is a SR71 Spy Plane out front......to save a couple of bucks look into the 1 day museum pass, I think they are $50.00 and you can visit all the museums in the park, otherwise they are like $25.00 for each museum to get in......oh and if you want another one, check out the Midway Aircraft Carrier museum. Its a few miles from the park down off of Harbor Drive, you could Uber it over there......its pretty cool

Edited by RIP

• 3 weeks later...
firstyammerha

We did make it to San Diego and saw everything but the Lyons Museum, the Midway and the Zoo. I had to replace my 15 year old Petersen museum baseball hat so drove up to LA to see the EV bike display currently running. It's not a big display but has half a dozen  EV Bonneville streamliners from the 1950's to 1990's and recent Harley Davidson prototypes for EV bikes.The weather was grim with rain, wind and cool temperatures all week. We had a Ecoboost Mustang convertible for the ride and never got to drop the top. We did get out of town going east to see the Anzo Borrega desert park which has a killer twisty mountain  road leading to it from the freeway. Hwy.79 was fun and the Mustang drove like no 4 banger I've driven... stout low end and nice mild oversteer. Stout enough to show my taillights to a couple of `rice rockets' at the red light. The wife and I decided we've seen enough of California so on to another western destination next year like Utah.