The MT-07 Forum

Brakes and Suspension upgrades needed?

Dare738

I have brand new 2018 MT 07 and I've been reading this forum and a lot of people mention brake and suspension upgrades. I live in NYC and I only use the bike to commute. Do I really need to upgrade the brakes and suspension? If I upgrade the brakes what are your recommendations for the front and rear? Are there any SS brake lines for our ABS system out yet? For suspension I plan on getting the Ohlins STX46 and the Ohlines NIX22. I'm 135 pounds, with gear probably like 150-160 pounds. I'm also 5' 4" so will the suspension upgrade make the bike too tall for me? Or is all of this overkill for just commuting? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

• Premium Member

My personal opinion, is if your just commuting, I don't think you need it (especially living in NYC). That being said, I did upgrade my suspension, to Ohlins STX46 shock/springs & emulators up front,  and did steel braided brake lines. My bike is 80% track, and 20%  street use.  I'm very happy with the set-up. Being that your commuting in NYC, AND are about the weight the FZ-07 is set-up for from the factory, I'd just ride it!!!! Like I said, that's just my opinion.... You should do whatever makes you smile. BTW: welcome to the FZ-07 forum!

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

15 minutes ago, cornerslider said:

My personal opinion, is if your just commuting, I don't think you need it (especially living in NYC). That being said, I did upgrade my suspension, to Ohlins STX46 shock/springs & emulators up front,  and did steel braided brake lines. My bike is 80% track, and 20%  street use.  I'm very happy with the set-up. Being that your commuting in NYC, AND are about the weight the FZ-07 is set-up for from the factory, I'd just ride it!!!! Like I said, that's just my opinion.... You should do whatever makes you smile. BTW: welcome to the FZ-07 forum!

Thanks! I just wasn't sure because a lot of people on the forum comment on how bad the suspension and the brakes were. 

Just now, Dare738 said:

Thanks! I just wasn't sure because a lot of people on the forum comment on how bad the suspension and the brakes were. 

Ride it as is and enjoy. It's not that bad as a commuter, ride a 71 anything if you want to know bad. If you decide to upgrade at some point let er buck and enjoy it that way.

Cheers

I've run the stock stuff on and off road, in canyons and foreign countries, and I don't feel like the suspension or brakes are much of a hindrance. They're not amazing, and you wouldn't be disappointed if you upgraded (I'd do steel braided lines before suspension), but if you're not taking it to a track, I don't see much reason to drop that kind of money. It's still a freaking fun and capable little motorcycle fresh off the factory floor

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

People upgrade their stuff because they want to, not because they need to and that's ok, it part of why we love bikes.  Just about any production bike is capable in stock trim of doing more then what it's rider can, that's a fact.  I have a stock ninja 250 with about 10 lbs of extra touring and lighting stuff wired into it and Zombiphone was kind enough to loan me some race fairing to take it to the track.  Sure the suspension wasn't optimal and was definitely holding me back a little but in the end I battled for the win in 4 races winning one of them and lowered the course record that weekend.  I was one of the only racers there with stock suspension and it showed just what a stock bike can do.  I continued to ride it stock for another 3-4 years before messing with the suspension and you know what?  For the one track day I took it too afterwards it felt better but on the street it just felt different in a good way not that there was anything about it holding me back about it during my commute or rides in the canyon. 

Don't feel you need to upgrade the performance of your bike just because a bunch of people on the internet said you should.  Ride the bike stock for now and enjoy it, if later down the line there's something specific about it you feel could be better then go ahead and consider changing something.  I find changing something just because someone told me too leave less of an impression then feeling it out and noticing the difference after the change.  When it come to motorcycle the component that gives the greatest performance gain is the rider so focus on upgrading him or her first. 

I upgrade when I feel an area is deficient.  The rear shock was a great hindrance for confidence on corners with any kind of dip, actually scary.  Upgrade what you think you need/will enjoy if improved.  Doesn't sound like you would get that much out of it in your situation.

at 150 lbs with gear (your gear weighs 15 lbs? lol) You're pretty much bang on the target weight for the stock suspension. If you're just commuting I don't think you'll see much value in the upgrade.

5 hours ago, topazsparrow said:

at 150 lbs with gear (your gear weighs 15 lbs? lol) You're pretty much bang on the target weight for the stock suspension. If you're just commuting I don't think you'll see much value in the upgrade.

Unless by upgrade we're talking cool racing stickers then upgrade away, each sticker adds 1 hp and 2 beers worth of confidence and skill. 

@Dare738

You need to have the proper sag set up on any bike that you own. Any suspension shop can help you with this, or the bike won't handle to it's max capability . 

At 159lbs, stock suspension might be ok for you, you won't know until you measure and adjust your sag settings.

This is important , even if some others here don't realize it.  Wrong suspension set up can have you pogo stick bouncing around high speed sweepers and get ya wrecked.

Go ride a stock not adjusted suspension in the canyons and then set the sag correctly and go back and you will trim minutes off your previous time and be more comfortable in the corners. 

If the sag can't be set, then it's time to respring and revalve the forks and shock.

14 hours ago, topazsparrow said:

Ditto on this.

Most of the people on this site are talking about upgrading either due to being much heavier than you, or because they are planning to race their FZ/MT. You are in an enviable situation as you are going to have an extra $1000+ in your pocket!

Now going back to your original post, what would make a cheap but very effective difference would be a set of EBC brake pads in the front. It made a very real difference for my bike, and I don't feel the need to do any further upgrades on my brakes. Give that a try first, and then decide if you need more.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ebc-fa252hh-double-h-sintered-front-brake-pads

Now that you have saved a LOT of money, I would suggest the #1 upgrade (IMHO) for the MT which is a flash by 2WDW. The degree that it will smooth out you motor will be great for commuting as all you will need to concentrate on is the traffic! You can get that done now with your stock exhaust and the snorkel removed. If you decide later to upgrade your exhaust, extra flashes with 2WDW are free except for the shipping. As 2WDW is a vendor on this site, you can read a LOT about them here. If you can catch them when they are doing one of their sales, it can be as low as $275.

https://fz07.org/thread/10692/2wdw-labor-day-sale/

Enjoy, and ride safe!

Thanks for the input guys. I'm just gonna ride it like it is for now and upgrade later on if I feel if something is lacking

23 hours ago, topazsparrow said:

Lol yea with my jacket and a backpack with stuff it's about 15 pounds

Actually at your weight the spring rate may even bit a little heavy!!!! Doesn't happen often on this bike. If you can set it up with the correct bike /rider sag even the damping may be OK. The problem MAY be you can't reduce the preload with the stock adjuster low enough. Same with the front , you MAY have to have to reduce the preload ( don't have to say that often on these).  Which ever, the stock suspension will not be as problematic for you as most people.

Hopefully someone that has had to adjust down like your's may be able to help furthur of one of our resident suspension gurus ( we have some) and may have extra info.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

By the way Seat concepts did make a lower seat cover/pad for this bike to get you a little extra standover.

3 hours ago, gregjet said:

Actually at your weight the spring rate may even bit a little heavy!!!! Doesn't happen often on this bike. If you can set it up with the correct bike /rider sag even the damping may be OK. The problem MAY be you can't reduce the preload with the stock adjuster low enough. Same with the front , you MAY have to have to reduce the preload ( don't have to say that often on these).  Which ever, the stock suspension will not be as problematic for you as most people.

Hopefully someone that has had to adjust down like your's may be able to help furthur of one of our resident suspension gurus ( we have some) and may have extra info.

How do you adjust the preload in the front? 

3 hours ago, gregjet said:

By the way Seat concepts did make a lower seat cover/pad for this bike to get you a little extra standover.

Do you happen to have a link?

This is the only seat recover they now list. You could contact them and ask if they can do a lower one. It isn't as simple as just cutting out some foam. A lower seat should be firmer as well. I love their product BUT some do not. Might be worth checking around to see if their lower ones are as well liked.

https://seatconcepts.com/collections/yamaha/2017+yam-fz07

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Dare738 said:

How do you adjust the preload in the front? 

Do you happen to have a link?

You can buy aftermarket preload adjusters off of eBay. They are a cheap mod, that's easy to install. I think I got mine for about 25 bucks? To install: Take ALL the weight off the front end. (I hung the handlebars off the ceiling with a ratchet strap) Unscrew the top cap on the fork (still under a little spring pressure), screw in the new preload adjustable caps, and you're done! Now you can adjust the preload to your liking-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

If you haven't done it before go hit up youtube and check out some suspension setup ( basic) vids. There are some very good ones though most don't cover all, so you need to watch a few.

These are for sag ( rider AND rider/bike setup) only. You can't change the damping on the stock shocks/forks anyway on these , but it will at least let you optimise what you have.

Unfortunately pattonme indicates that the earlier models ( at least. In theory your has changes) the compression damping the forks is too high and you weight is going to make it worse. If you find you do actually have to lower the damping you may be able to go to a slightly lower fluid viscosity ( never thought I would say that about an 07 either). Set the sags first.

Archived