The MT-07 Forum

Bike Wont Start (2016 FZ07)

ThatCraftySoB

ThatCraftySoB

Thus may be a bit lengthy but I want to provide as much information as I can for you guys, so please bear with me. Rundown on the bike: 2016 FZ07 about 2400 miles on it, Akro full exhaust, Stage 2 DNA air box and filter, and the FtECU with a prebuilt tune for the PowerCommander to match the setup.  https://www.veloxracing.com/wp/product/ftdl9-ftecu-flashtune-kit-for-yamaha-mt07-fz07-2015-2016-2017-2018/

Just over a month ago, Sept. 26, I laid my bike down at fairly low speed, about 20 mph, turning left into a neighborhood. There ended up being water in the gutter turning in and I just simply slid out. No injury besides a little road rash on my forearm, but I was able to get right back up and push it up the street to a friends house. I cracked the oil pan and bent the shifter, pictures included, and I thought that was the only issue, besides cosmetics which was fairly minor due to frame sliders. 

After a few weeks lead time to get the parts I needed, I was replacing all the parts this weekend. I got the oil pan replaced and refilled the oil with Motul 5100. Replaced and adjusted the shifter. When I went to turn it on it wouldn't go. So I put it on a battery tender over night and still no dice the next day. I checked the voltage while turned off and it's at 12.6V I tried to start it a few times and it went down to 12.3V, but that's expected. I siphoned the fuel and replaced it with fresh fuel since it had been sitting for almost 6 weeks and still it wouldn't turn over. 

As you can hopefully see in the pictures there ended up being a little more damage than I thought, the handle bars bent a bit but still functional and then the tail end of the swing arm (at the chain adjuster) got a small dent in it but it isnt affecting the functionality. I removed the bolts and bracket without any resistance or force needed. 

I didnt want to start pulling stuff apart and just taking random guesses. The battery seems fine and when I try to turn it over you can hear the fuel pump working so those both seem okay. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aKDTAdyw5gEMuvvZ8 

Hopefully that link works for photos and a short video of what it sounds like trying to start.

Edited by ThatCraftySoB

• Premium Member

I believe the FZ-07 has a "lean-angle sensor". Basically, it's a safety switch that kills the spark to the motor in the event of a crash. Maybe the sensor got bent in the crash, or the bracket that holds it got broke? It doesn't look like your showing a code of any kind on your dash, which leads me to believe it's probably something pretty simple. "Electrical" isn't my strong suit, but I would look over the ignition system for anything. Maybe a damaged coil pak? I doubt it's a battery, or fuel issue.... Battery cranks strong, and it has fresh fuel. Good luck, and welcome to the forum-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Did you reconnect the kick stand override switch? You mentioned fiddling with the controls on that side and it's kinda in behind them and easily overlooked. Simple little plastic plug connector behind the frame rail.

Studio_20181104_204622.thumb.jpg.52d7b8d04ee4d6742b0997ac6bb1e1ba.jpg

Also the 'neutral switch' not far from there on the trans case?

Edited by mossrider

ThatCraftySoB

Thank you to those who have replied, I probably wont get a chance to work on it again until next weekend, as my weeks are pretty busy. But I'll be sure too look at the things you guys mentioned and keep you up to date. 😄

4 hours ago, mossrider said:

Did you reconnect the kick stand override switch? You mentioned fiddling with the controls on that side and it's kinda in behind them and easily overlooked. Simple little plastic plug connector behind the frame rail.

Studio_20181104_204622.thumb.jpg.52d7b8d04ee4d6742b0997ac6bb1e1ba.jpg

Also the 'neutral switch' not far from there on the trans case?

If I'm not mistaken both those switches would disable most bikes from even cranking over at all so I doubt that's the problem here.  The first step would to be to pull a plug and see if it's sparking when cranked.  I'm still looking to buy my own Mt-07 but most bike have their regulator and all important stator on the left side so it could be a simple loose or damaged connector if there's no spark. 

• Premium Member

clutch lever switch

kickstand switch

tip over sensor- located by battery

is the N light illuminated when power is turn on? 

• Like 2

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

ThatCraftySoB

@RojoRacingmy dad and I were talking and were going to pull the spark plugs to check them but I wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions before doing that since they are a bit of work to get to. Sounds like I'm going to need to do that anyways though.

@norcal616yes the Neutral light does come on when I turn the ignition on. 

As for the rest I'm going to have to wait till the weekend to address them.

NRWhiteKnight

Does the engine turn over? You stated it did not in your original post. There would be no need to pull the spark plugs unless you think there is fluid between the top of the pistons and the cylinder head preventing it from doing so, and from your description of events I would say that is not the case. As has been mentioned, check the switches and sensor @norcal616 has suggested if you haven't already done so. Go back and double check all electrical connectors you had apart and make sure they are firmly connected.

If the engine is turning over but still not starting then you make sure you have no kinked fuel lines either. I can't tell form the picture if you had the tank lifted up or off at some point but a fuel pump can still prime and a kinked line prevent fuel from reaching the injectors. Hope you get it figured out.

• Like 1

2018 MT-07 - Mods: Shorty Levers, Radiator Guard, Puig Sport Windscreen,Air box  Snorkel Removed.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, NRWhiteKnight said:

If the engine is turning over but still not starting then you make sure you have no kinked fuel lines either. I can't tell form the picture if you had the tank lifted up or off at some point but a fuel pump can still prime and a kinked line prevent fuel from reaching the injectors. Hope you get it figured out. 

Everything he said and don't forget to double-check the two wire connectors that attach to the tank as well.

Good luck resolving your issue.

Edited by DewMan

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Global Moderator

i'm guessing either fueling issue or spark issue. 
there's a CEL while you're starting.  if there were a way to read that code it might tell us what's going on

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Your not kicking hard enough

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• 7 months later...
longrider1951

The best advice is to check the tip over/lean angle sensor. Also just turn the key and listen for the fuel pump to energize, it should run about 3-4 seconds.

Edited by longrider1951