The MT-07 Forum

Aftermarket instrument panel?

TylerNT02

• Premium Member

Has anyone tried or thought about going aftermarket with their instrument display panel? I really like the brightness and info displayed on the stock one but also enjoy that with a manual tachometer. One of the best ones I have seen was the full color display panel on the new triumph street triple I almost went with over my mt (glad I went with yamaha). I have a 2018 model btw, if that matters

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, RojoRacing said:

now that I think about it the koso has no selected gear display which would be a deal breaker for more people. 

Thanks for the reply. That was one of the ones I was looking at but I didn t realize that it didn't have a gear indicator. I can buy a separate gear indicator for it if needed though. How was installation? Plug and play? splicing wires? Difficulty? 

It’s been 7 years but it came with a wire harness for my bike, not sure if I payed extra for it though. The hardest part if you even want to call it such was setting up the sensor and wheel magnet to measure speed. It works great but kind of a cheesy thing not have to use on a nicer bike, cool thing is your speed isn’t change with sprocket changes.  Oil temp sensor was pretty cool to have though. 

5 hours ago, TylerNT02 said:

Sounds pretty cool. I wish mine had the oil temperature gague stock 😕

Oil temp makes to respect how long you should be riding easy before whacking on the thottle because your water temp may be 150F 5 mins into a ride but your oil is still 65F.  It also teaches you idling in you driveway for 5 mins does very little to warm up the oil, it's best to roll out easy and get the oil moving around through the tranny at low RPMs. 

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, RojoRacing said:

Oil temp makes to respect how long you should be riding easy before whacking on the thottle because your water temp may be 150F 5 mins into a ride but your oil is still 65F.  It also teaches you idling in you driveway for 5 mins does very little to warm up the oil, it's best to roll out easy and get the oil moving around through the tranny at low RPMs. 

I didn't really think about that. Very good point though

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, sansnombre said:

And then there's this:

Thank you! Couldn't find this anywhere on the forum 

I remember a discussion about this on the forum before, but I couldn't find the info just now ( I didn't try very hard TBH). I always figured the mileage was stored in the ECU, but apparently it is actually stored in the gauge unit. So yeah, whatever new gauge you use will start out at 0 miles, unless there is an accommodation to adjust that. 

• Global Moderator
On 11/6/2018 at 5:32 AM, sansnombre said:

And then there's this:

unfortunately he has no intention on selling this....
as much as i want him to

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, sorkyah said:

as much as i want him to

Yea I wish that wasn't the case. After reading that, he really got into it and I thought that it looked really well done

9 hours ago, sorkyah said:

as much as i want him to

Such is the case with us hobbyist engineers, we take our time designing something for ourselves just the way we like it but when it's a hobby and for yourself time spent isn't factored.  Now ask us to do it all over again for someone else and put a price on it and you quickly realize just to cover costs in time no one would pay it.  

I retrofitted HID in my ninja 250 and although the results were totally worth it, when my dad asked me to help him do his truck I said no way in hell I'm doing that all over again. 

Archived