The MT-07 Forum

Ohlins rear shock "compression" damping?

maz20

I have an Ohlins rear shock for the FZ-07

https://www.ohlins.eu/en/products/motorcycle/ya-419--4779/

https://www.ohlins.eu/download/db/Ohlins_DTC_mounting-instructions-ya-419-english--00002047.pdf

which seems to says it is adjustable for rebound only...

But, there is that little screw thing on top of (what I'm guessing is) the internal gas reservoir...

IMG_0405.thumb.jpg.5f002e198396dafd90ecead7962e3cad.jpg

Doesn't that do anything? (Like, adjusting for compression damping) ? : )

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

no thats for the reservoir for the upgraded shock. if you open that you'll probably regret it.

-HowWorkClutch

firstyammerha

I believe that is the port where the factory pressurizes the shock. The remote reservoir shocks that I've disassembled have about a 6mm threaded port so the male reservoir hose end screws into the body. The remote reservoir Ohlins hose probably goes into that position but in a bigger hole.  

Interesting, I was wondering since the general Ohlins shock manual--not necessarily for this shock model--mentioned compression damping could be adjusted by a mechanism that looks similar to that bolt/nut...

Screenshot_2018-11-02-14-45-18.png

It is both, where reservoir hose is attached if shock was set up with reservoir and for nitrogen charge if there is no reservoir. 

In your case it is just for charge. You can take that little screw out and nothing will happen. There is rubber under it, needle is forced through rubber to charge shock.  

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, twf said:

It is both, where reservoir hose is attached if shock was set up with reservoir and for nitrogen charge if there is no reservoir. 

In your case it is just for charge. You can take that little screw out and nothing will happen. There is rubber under it, needle is forced through rubber to charge shock.  

+1 on this ^ ^ ^ .... I have the same shock. I just had mine serviced by my Ohlins rep. I asked the same questions, and got the same answers-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

firstyammerha

some years ago on a car show I saw a episode on the building of automotive shocks at a Monroe plant that I think was in Tennessee. it was very interesting but I forget how they charged the gas shocks during production. 

Archived