The MT-07 Forum

Help-check engine light half the time????

Bigturbomax

So, long stort short i just switched jobs and am super broke....best time for stuff to go wrong. On my way to my new job (25 miles) my check engine light comes on. But doesnt stay on. Light off at idle and light cruise, light comes on at highway speed or moderate accell. I can actually make it go on and off with the throttle, its directly related to load. All i got is the Yamaha/Yoshi deal exhaust and EJK. Did it on the way home too. Its EXTRA jerky on/off throttle, more so than usual and smells kinda rich? It does not give an SD code on dash. You guys got any ideas??? I dont have $120 for dealer to check it out right now, im thinking ill pull the EJK first. I dont know why but it seems like a likely culprit.

Also, i forgot. I have a K and N filter with ported airbox lid. Im gonne put stock lid and snorkel back on so the only mod will be exhaust. Im pulling EJK now. 

It was the EJK. I double checked connections-all good. Re-tested, and problem still there. Removed EJK, re-installed factory filter w/lid and snorkel. Re-tested, and its all good. Well. I have a little less top end pep, but my check engine light is gone and its now as jerky as it was stock, no worse LMAO. 

I guess thats another one bites the dust. 

• Global Moderator

Some people have had an intermittent CEL because the start switch was stuck in the start position.  You might check that, perhaps the EJK removal was just coincidental and the switch is actual sticking sometimes. 

I appreciate the heads up. Id seen posts about that and made sure my starter switch was working properly since that seems so common. Also i could smell it was running rich so that kinda led me to the EJK. Its all good. When i have more time and spare money(after i get settled in new job) ill prolly try and get FTECU and the hord power airbox. Its runs well enough back at stock that im ok with it for now. The bike used to be a 10 mile a day fun way to work and now its a 50/55 mile a day commuter so simple and reliable is best for me right now. 

@Bigturbomaxhave you pinged Dubach on this?  could be simpe settings change, maybe bad gas, maybe bad air, maybe bad juju, maybe bad bad?

I am voting on something bad

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

9 hours ago, Bigturbomax said:

The bike used to be a 10 mile a day fun way to work and now its a 50/55 mile a day commuter so simple and reliable is best for me right now. 

Man, I envy you. Seriously. I do HVAC for a living and drive a 12,000 lb panel truck everyday It's painful lol. It provides a good living, but being able to commute on a bike daily would be a blessing. 

• Premium Member

over the years a very very small % of EJK failed...IIRC maybe less than 5-7? people had a bad/failed EJK

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Global Moderator

And EJK has been great about fixing problems, so give them a call. 

7 hours ago, mjh937 said:

And EJK has been great about fixing problems, so give them a call. 

Well i got my EJK second hand from a forum member here so i wouldnt think dobeck would wanna help me out lol

• Global Moderator
8 hours ago, Bigturbomax said:

Well i got my EJK second hand from a forum member here so i wouldnt think dobeck would wanna help me out lol

I would call them anyway.  Worst case you are out a phone call, best case they fix the problem.  Good luck. 

12 hours ago, mjh937 said:

I would call them anyway.  Worst case you are out a phone call, best case they fix the problem.  Good luck. 

I guess you have a good point. Ill reach out to em on monday. Thanks 

I reached out to Dobeck via email just now. Ill let you guys know whay they say or do when i hear back. Meanwhile the bike is running great. Albeit with weak stock topend. At least my OE yoshimura still sounds hot lol.

Archived