The MT-07 Forum

Slip On Exhaust

MRH

I've been told that FZ-07s cannot accommodate slip on exhausts unless you literally cut the stock tip off. Is this true? Wouldn't you have to weld the new tip on?

Yes, Cut the pipe

No, Weld

Depending on the manufacture of the exhaust, there are instructions on how this is done.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

The exhaust is just one piece,  there is no slip on to remove and change but is it possible to cut the "belly" of the exhaust and that put a slip on .

You can clamp it without any welding and it will work 

• Premium Member

Yoshi is a excellent choice... 2WDW sells exhaust+tune packages at a discounted price, major holidays deals are even cheaper...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

That reminds me. Tuning...One cannot simply install the new exhaust and expect it to run perfectly, correct? Even thought there's an O2 sensor?

Just now, MRH said:

That reminds me. Tuning...One cannot simply install the new exhaust and expect it to run perfectly, correct? Even thought there's an O2 sensor?

Get it tuned.

You certainly could just pipe and ride it, BUT, a pipe and a tune is the smart play. Not gonna get 50hp but the rideability is phenomenal and it'll be feel like a new motor, well worth it. 

Get it tuned.

Get it tuned.

Get it tuned.

Ok, I can do that. 2WDW offers the pipes and something called a custom ECU flash. Looks like a whole lot of electronics I can screw up. Does anyone know if this is tricky to use or how to use it? 

You put the pipe on and send them the ecu. They'll flash it and send it back to you. You plug it and enjoy it, no muss, no fuss. That easy. 

Way.

Right. So the ecu plugs into the exhaust system to sample fuel/air mixture or something? And it also plugs into the bike's on-board circuitry? And in the meantime while I wait for them to send it back, it's safe to ride the bike? It'll be a long wait because I'm currently deployed overseas.

• Global Moderator
7 minutes ago, MRH said:

Ok, I can do that. 2WDW offers the pipes and something called a custom ECU flash. Looks like a whole lot of electronics I can screw up. Does anyone know if this is tricky to use or how to use it? 

What @mossrider said.  You just remove the ECU, send it in and replace it when you get it back.  Do not power on the motorcycle with the ECU removed.  It seems like some people have done that and got a check engine light.  I had no trouble at all doing mine, getting the plastics off is the hardest part. 

• Global Moderator
4 minutes ago, MRH said:

Right. So the ecu plugs into the exhaust system to sample fuel/air mixture or something? And it also plugs into the bike's on-board circuitry? And in the meantime while I wait for them to send it back, it's safe to ride the bike? It'll be a long wait because I'm currently deployed overseas.

The bike will not start with the ECU removed.  That is the brains of it, and without a brain it is a zombie :) .

Ahh, I get it now. I wasn't tracking that I had to remove ...ugh. I wonder if it wouldn't be better to just buy the system and install here and then just go to a shop to tune it. Mail takes like a month to get from here to the US and back.

Just now, MRH said:

No. The turn around is only a few days on the ecu flash. The bike will not run w/o it, it is the computer that controls everything on the bike.  The ecu is the flat black box u dr the red elastic strap. (Yours will be in a slightly different spot as mine has been moved)

20160410_152325-2.thumb.jpg.5e8251fb36c90fd3073b88d9a4a63f4b.jpg

If you are uncomfortable doing the work any shop can handle the install in a couple hours.

• Global Moderator

If there is a good local tuner that would work.  2wdw had a lot of experience with our bike, but waiting for a month for international shipping is not a great option. 

Ah, if you're deployed I'd just put the pipe on and enjoy it for now. Get it tuned when it's convenient, no danger to bike just not nearly as fun to ride.

Ok, I reckon I'll do that. Will there be -no- performance gain without a tune, or just less of one. I'll be up front, I definitely want to up the HP, but I need this bike to make some noise. The drivers out here are nuts and a quiet bike is not conducive to other motorist's situational awareness.

• Global Moderator

You might lose a few hp without a tune as the stock fueling is for more back pressure, but I doubt it will be a noticable amount.  You will gain a little power over a stock exhaust when the tune is done, but again probably not a noticable amount.  I think people feel they have more power with a new exhaust because of the sound. The dyno charts show about four hp over stock for the Yoshi pipe.  The tune makes a huge difference in power delivery though.  You will be glad you did it. 

Just now, MRH said:

I had an idea just now. What if I bought a power commander, since tuning isn't a realistic option at the moment? Would that help any?

That would serve the same basic function. It's a fair bit more work but does offer some benefits over the flash. Just follow the excellent instructions and take yoir time. They're easy to program with readily available maps from their website too. You'd be done fooling around with it tho.

Cool, man. Thanks for all your and everyone else's help. I really love this little bike and I'm excited to start customizing her. But it's all new to me and want to make sure I know what I'm doing.

Archived