The MT-07 Forum

Daytona 500 mile review/comparison

phanomenal07

Ok. So I rode the daytona over 500 miles since picking her up. First thing I want to say is wowww she is a blast to ride. 

First major difference between the fz07 is obviously the styling. It really isn't comparable. I initially bought the fz07 because of how awesome I think the bike look. The Daytona however to me is easily the best looking "crotch rocket" out there.

Now for comfort and riding style. They are worlds apart when it comes to ergonomics. Despite getting a lower handlebar and rearsets that bring my feet up and back the fz still feel like a cruiser compare to the Daytona when sitting on it. The Daytona clip on are very far forward and the seat locks you into the tank. My last bike before the fz was a cbr 600 and even the cbr was more relax then the Daytona. Feels very Racey. The fz stock feels like a dirt bike and the Daytona feels like a drag bike in comparison.

I can't really compare fit and finish because I have my fz nice and tidy with everything within spec and done myself where as the Daytona is a 15000 mile old bike that some else owned. But I'll get the wrench out and take her apart some enough.

And finally performance. I want to start this by saying 0-60 there is zero difference between the Daytona and the fz. At least not that I can tell. I remember when I took off from the first red light and saying to myself that the fz might have a little more pep at these lower speed. However after I got more comfortable on the Daytona it was a lot closer. The Daytona might win a 0-60 race however because the Daytona can get to 60 mph in first gear. After that the Daytona is so much more powerful and faster then the fz. But that isn't what you buy an fz for anyway. Also the Daytona in every way is soo much smoother then the fz. I read a bunch of post yesterday on the Daytona forum that was complaining about how twitchy the Daytona throttle was. Those people have obviously never been on an fz. The throttle response on the Daytona feels way better then the fz by a long shot and the bike feels smoother in all gears at all rpm.

The Daytona have way better brakes. Feels better with more power. I have spiegler brake lines on the fz and it still isn't close.

Suspension wise again not close. The Daytona eats up bumps and stay completely planted on thsese terrible Philly roads. The Daytona have fully adjustable front and rear suspension which are not yet adjusted for me. 

When it comes to handling the fz is way more flickable in corners. I don't know if this is just do to me not being used to the riding position yet or what but I would say that I haven't taken a single corner on the Daytona that I haven't gone faster on with the fz. It feels like it takes more effort to steer the daytona even tho they are both about the same weight. Low speed movements are alot easier on the fz. 

Features wise the Daytona doesn't come with any electronics. Neither does my fz.

The Daytona does come with a steering damper stock that doesn't really seem to do much. The gpr damper I have on the fz is way better. The Daytona does not have a fuel gauge only a fuel light. 

There is ONE major thing tho.

A QUICKSHIFTER!!!! When I initially rode the bike for the test ride I did not know it had one and neither did the dealer. I found out later on my own lol. I did not think I would enjoy a quick shifter that much. I was actually one of the people who would always say "what do you  even need a quick shifter for" "takes the fun out of it" and blah blah blah. Well I was wrong. Shifting while pinning the throttle open is more fun then it seems lol.

Well that is my not so quick comparison of the two bikes. I have the entire rest of the week off from work so I have plenty more riding to do after I get the suspension adjusted and will update this post next week. 

You are comparing apples to oranges

Besides this is a Yamaha FZ07 forum

Screw Trumpets why them brits got bad teeff

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

1 minute ago, r1limited said:

You are comparing apples to oranges

Besides this is a Yamaha FZ07 forum

Screw Trumpets why them brits got bad teeff

Lol I only did it because I was asked to

Thanks for sharing some interesting issues with both bikes!

As to brakes, I'm not sure I would want better brakes than those on the MT07 - I'm a bit hamfisted, and I found that under duress I applied just enough power to make the front tyre squeal and sometimes lift the rear, but never enough to activate the ABS on the front. The insensitive rear brake, however, doesn't contribute much to stopping and ABS steps in early.

Riding position sounds far too aggressive for me as even the MT has handlebars a bit too low and a little too far forward to be perfect for this ol' body.

A steering damper should not be felt before needed since the friction does mess up steering inputs; ever tried to ride slowly in a straight line with a notched steering stem bearing? Same result with too much preload on healthy bearings or a damper that gives friction under such conditions. A damper is a patch at any rate, required when geometry fail to suppress wobbles from the front end, typically on sport bikes ridden fast since you want a quick geometry in order to be able to change direction quickly. So to prevent tank slappers around fast and bumpy corners, you fit a steering damper as an assistant. A damper you ideally never want to notice because it should only work when conditions demand. At least that's my take on it 😄

That the MT changes direction with less effort is a result primarily of the more upright riding position combined with wider handlebars - this gives you significantly more leverage. Many world class road racers prefer quite wide handlebars on the race bikes for the same reason. It saves energy and/or allow for quicker changes of directions. Downsides is that you could instill more instability in the bike, but primarily the aerodynamics become worse.

In most real life situations for most riders, the MT07 will offer more acceleration due to shorter gearing, particularly in the lower gears, and a powerband tuned for grunt more than peak power. Try accelerating up a steep hill from 20 mph in 2nd gear carrying a passenger - the MT would kill the Triumph. Try accelerating above 100 mph in any gear and the roles are clearly reversed.

You say the suspension is far better on the Triumph - is that under all conditions, or are the stuff where the MT is more compliant?

In the end, the two bikes are obviously made for different use, yet the reality is that they often see the same kind of use; weekend trips and commuting. Hence the comparison is valid IMO.  Thanks again for taking the time to share with us.

You are right I only say the steering damper is useless because I can't feel it. There is a pretty big difference in feel when you put a damper on the fz even at the lowest setting. But I really only had it to prevent tank slappers. so if the Daytona steering damper can do that then I'll be happy.

The Daytona stops alot quicker with less pressure on the brakes. It didn't take anytime for me to get used to it. The feel was just better I guess. The rear tire do life alot easier when I try to do it on purpose. I actually never was able to get the rear tire to lift on the fz I don't think. But I did 3 or 4 times in a row at consecutive red lights on purpose on the Daytona. 

The Daytona suspension is overall better. I stay planted in the seat more. There is one unavoidable large bump that I hit at 70 mph everyday and I usually stand up going over that bump on the fz. It didn't feel nearly as big of a bump going over it in the Daytona.

And yeah the Daytona is far more aggressive then I expected. I was very comfortable on the cbr. Even when setting on my buddy's r6 was more comfortable

So I said I was gonna give an update but there isn't much to update. Besides me being alot more comfortable on the Daytona now and can flick it into turns more easily now everything else is as stated before. However I now have gone through most turns alot faster then I ever did on the fz. The Daytona just feels more stable which brings more confidence

One could've simply made this about his or her new bike in the other bikes section without 'comparing it to the FZ07 and making it out to be a turd, right? I'll go wash my nose off now, it feels rubbed in and dirty.  GJ! 😉

Beemer

I wouldn't say I was trashing the fz. I still love the fz. The fz is actually more fun to ride even without going 500 miles. Taking a short trip to my buddy's house I prefer to take the fz. The immediate torque and wheeliability of the fz is awesome when I need a quick fix. Most of my ride to work is 40 miles on the highway and right now I prefer the Daytona for that since going a constant 80 mph is just more comfortable on the daytona since its less viby and smoother at higher speeds. Not to mention the fz can only get me to work and back on 1 gas tank as the Daytona can get 2 trip to work. The first day I bought the Daytona I rode it 300 miles. It wasn't at all comfortable after the first 100 but that isn't what I bought it for. I took the fz on many long trips and tho more comfortable then the Daytona I wasnt exactly feeling like a 100 bucks either after 300 miles. Neither bike is a vstrom or fj09.

All this to say I think you can compare any bike to each other. They are two wheel vehicles that get you places. I used both vehicle for pretty much the same thing. They both will commute, they both will be taking on short or long spirited rides, and they both will be taking to the track. So if they can do all the same thing why can't they be compared? 

I like to compare stuff, even if they are not directly comparable. Like a mix master to a kitchen machine. Both have their pros and cons and can do some of the same jobs. As one example.

If a comparison test - or any review - doesn't hold value or interest to you, just ignore it and move on.

Thanks for the comparison phanomenal07!  

Before I settled on my 07, I was looking at a number of different bikes - including the Daytona and Street Triple.  I find it interesting to read about how the bikes compare, even though they're different.  While I'm very happy with the 07, other bikes still interest me, so I still enjoy reading these reviews/comparisons.

I have a pretty broad taste in bikes, anything from the MT range, to supersports, to cruisers - so it good to read your take on how these two different bikes compare. 

I didn't take anything you said to be trashing the 07, just pointing out the differences. 

Like faffi said, if the review doesn't interest you, move on!  

The review has helped me to the view that I should not regret never having had a Striple (not a million miles from the Daytona). So, thank you phanomenal07. 

Just do it! 

17 hours ago, faffi said:

I like to compare stuff, even if they are not directly comparable. Like a mix master to a kitchen machine. Both have their pros and cons and can do some of the same jobs. As one example.

If a comparison test - or any review - doesn't hold value or interest to you, just ignore it and move on.

Pardon me but by the same token, if two adults are having a conversation that upsets your fine sensibilities you can either ignore it or bugger off! 

Beemer

Who said I was upset? I was merely giving a friendly advice that, if you care to follow it, would be great at keeping your blood pressure within a healthy range. So for your own good, take a pill and chill 😉

• 3 weeks later...
firstyammerha

one of the large Atlanta dealers had a 2016 Daytona with 20 odd miles on it for like $4500. Looked like a stock bike on the dealers website but I couldn't help but think "track bike".

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/28/2018 at 5:41 PM, firstyammerha said:

one of the large Atlanta dealers had a 2016 Daytona with 20 odd miles on it for like $4500. Looked like a stock bike on the dealers website but I couldn't help but think "track bike".

4500 for a 2016!?!? That's insane. There's not a whole lot that can go wrong with a Daytona that would make me not take that deal

• 4 weeks later...

Archived