The MT-07 Forum

Coolant Pipe Powdercoating

NoMoWheelies

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone in the Vancouver, Canada, area has powder coated their coolant pipes (the hard pipes on the right side of the bike). If so, what did it cost? These are known to corrode quickly if riding in rain, so no point in replacing with stock ones.

Thanks.

J

efri82tgzjgz.jpg

Edited by NoMoWheelies
Added photo

Mine did the same thing, I just put a little bit of oil on em or WD40 now and they look decent.

I'm interested to know if it can be PC'd as well. There's lots of cool options you could go with there.

I have heard it's a reaction to several bike cleaning chemicals. German mt-07 forum blames  S100 motorbike shampoo :) 

2 hours ago, ElGonzales said:

S100 motorbike shampoo

Thats cus it not real poo its a sham

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

To me it looks like either a leak of the coolant or more than likely it being aluminum and it oxidizing. If it's the latter, then using something like vinegar might take it off. I have the same issue, but to a lesser extent and will be trying the vinegar method.

I should have been clear - that's not a picture of my bike, but mine looks similar. It is a warranty item, but I was too lazy to take it in only to replace with stock pipes that will corrode again. It's definitely not a coolant leak.. Could be the salt - I ride year-round. Don't use any harsh cleaning products, so that's not it. Anyways, I will probably wait for the first snow fall and then I'll take them off and get them powder-coated, and will post the results.

The coating looked tarnished on mine after about 20k miles so I just polished it and wipe it down with wd40. I might think about getting it powder coated next time I change the coolant.

Edited by superfishal

• 1 year later...
NoMoWheelies

Just an update on this... I got my exhaust and coolant pipes ceramic coated. They are looking sharp now - hoping it holds up over time.

Edited by NoMoWheelies

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, NoMoWheelies said:

Just an update on this... I got my exhaust and coolant pipes ceramic coated. They are looking sharp now - hoping it holds up over time.

Got any pics?

Ed

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

NoMoWheelies
2 hours ago, Evill_Ed said:

Got any pics?

Pic attached - can upload another after I install on the bike. Also ceramic-coated the stock exhaust.

Edit: changed powder-coated to ceramic-coated.

20200403_144028.jpg

Edited by NoMoWheelies
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, NoMoWheelies said:

Pic attached - can upload another after I install on the bike. Also powder-coated the stock exhaust.

20200403_144028.jpg

Did you Powdercoat or Ceramic coat? I wouldn’t think Powdercoat could stand up to those high temps? Looks good though 👍🏼

NoMoWheelies
15 minutes ago, 1tondriver said:

Did you Powdercoat or Ceramic coat? I wouldn’t think Powdercoat could stand up to those high temps? Looks good though 👍🏼

ceramic coated.