The MT-07 Forum

NGK spark plugs

rick

Due to some confusion over the NGK plug numbers, I've starting a new thread. 

I emailed NGK to ask specifically about the difference between the specified plug LMAR8A-9 and a version with an S suffix LMAR8A-9S. This was tech supports reply. He also included the proper iridium plug LMAR8BI-9 if you want to go that route. Any one of these 3 plugs will work just fine. 

Screen Shot 2018-10-23 at 10.15.59 AM.png

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, rick said:

Due to some confusion over the NGK plug numbers, I've starting a new thread. 

I emailed NGK to ask specifically about the difference between the specified plug LMAR8A-9 and a version with an S suffix LMAR8A-9S. This was tech supports reply. He also included the proper iridium plug LMAR8BI-9 if you want to go that route. Any one of these 3 plugs will work just fine. 

Screen Shot 2018-10-23 at 10.15.59 AM.png

So now that you've solved that long standing issue with a simple email request. What're we going to be able to talk about now? 😁

Thanks for the iridium equivalent. I'll need to get me some of those for when it' time to replace the stock ones. 👍

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, rick said:

hah, we'll find something.

Pretty nice of NGK to get back to me so quick. That alone gets my business. 

Agreed, I just ordered  8 of the LMAR8BI-9 plugs, for myself and @beemer , directly from NGK's website. The Iridiums list range as 100,000 miles which should give us roughly 24,000 miles between plug changes. 👍

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, DewMan said:

Agreed, I just ordered  8 of the LMAR8BI-9 plugs, for myself and @beemer , directly from NGK's website. The Iridiums list range as 100,000 miles which should give us roughly 24,000 miles between plug changes. 👍

Can you please provide a link to where you found them? I can't find them on the NGK site.

Steve, 2017 Yamaha FZ-07, 2016 BMW 1200RT, 2019 Ducati Monster 1200s - Harbor Beach, Michigan

5 hours ago, rick said:

hah, we'll find something.

Pretty nice of NGK to get back to me so quick. That alone gets my business. 

Back in the day I used to do some street racing (autos), but we all eventually gravitated to legit tracks. I was playing with nitrous on the street, which was tricky for traction, but I didn't have anyone really to learn from. The internet wasn't a thing and I ended up picking up the phone and calling NGK after hitting a deadend with Champion. After getting passed to a couple different people I got to talk to a guy who taught me to read plugs for what I trying to do. Obviously a seasoned hotrodder who genuinely enjoyed talking shop.  He gave me his extension and I know I talked to that guy over a dozen times that summer. When a buddy and myself decided to start a speed shop we stocked the shelves with NGK and printed out info on reading plugs, and how to read NGK part numbers/heat ranges to find the plug your engine/tune needed. 

We ended up starting a new race class and the nitrous guys from our town were whipping up on everyone. When asked for tuning advice we'd share the NGK info (and our own personal tricks) to help out. 

Long story, short: that NGK employee who spent way too much time with a dumb teenager ended up with about 5 cities/counties hooked exclusively on NGK plugs. And we went through a LOT of plugs! I've been out of that scene for about 8 years now, but all the speed shops are still using NGK strictly because that's what everyone learned to tune with. 

Much appreciate you digging in to this and sharing it with us all, so don't take this wrong, but the whole email thing really saps the fun out of life sometimes. I've had some pretty amazing/educational phone calls back in the day from calling tech lines. 

I am offended that you said "confusion over the NGK plug"

I beg your pardon, but the use of confusion and plug is racists and does not give champions or bosch equality, they now must be refered to as binary shockers

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

17 hours ago, r1limited said:

I am offended that you said "confusion over the NGK plug"

I beg your pardon, but the use of confusion and plug is racists and does not give champions or bosch equality, they now must be refered to as binary shockers

hah, binary will be the next thing to go

17 hours ago, shinyribs said:

Much appreciate you digging in to this and sharing it with us all, so don't take this wrong, but the whole email thing really saps the fun out of life sometimes. I've had some pretty amazing/educational phone calls back in the day from calling tech lines. 

With guys flat out saying the "S" was the  wrong plug and me thinking more than just a bit out loud that, based on the specs, it was likely OK, I wanted it in writing. 

When I 1st started working in research labs, there was no internet. when some piece of equipment failed, a call to a technical person at the company sometimes would clear things up. Now, that company is owned by a big conglomerate corporation and talking directly to a guy who knows how to solder has become difficult, if not impossible. Near the end of my career, it was always fun to use a 20-30 year old phone number and do an end around the automated service that ultimately would direct your call to someone who'd never seen or heard of the piece of equipment - "oh, I'm sorry, it must be obsolete, we can't help you".

That direct phone call frequently started out with - "yer not suppose to be calling this number, but how can I help?". Can't tell you how many times one of the shop guys who'd been at it as long as me would not only know the unit, but have spare parts collecting dust in the back that would come in the regular mail 3, 4 days later w/o the need for a PO.  

Yep, I truly get where yer coming from. 

• Premium Member
On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 2:02 PM, DewMan said:

NGK has already shipped my order even though they list 2-3 days to ship on their website.  👍

Why can't more company under promise and over deliver?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

17 hours ago, DewMan said:

NGK has already shipped my order even though they list 2-3 days to ship on their website.  👍

Why can't more company under promise and over deliver?

Same here. I should have them tomorrow.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, alexlj92 said:

Same here. I should have them tomorrow.

I should have mine on Saturday. So 3 days coast-to-coast for less than $5 shipping. Can't beat that with a stick. 👍

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

I think anyone who has not removed the plugs before should do at least 1 without the zip-tie, or shoe lace trick. Just to get a good feel for the PITA experience. Try the right-side first (throttle), it's a great way to appreciate the heads-up we got from others. NS👍

Archived