The MT-07 Forum

Tuning: Baffle in or Baffle out?

Stephenms

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, phanomenal07 said:

Oh sorry. Don’t know why I keep leaving that out. It’s the Yoshi. R77

Other than it rattling around in there, it should cause no issue but you might want to try removing the canister and try shaking it out.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

1 minute ago, DewMan said:

Other than it rattling around in there, it should cause no issue but you might want to try removing the canister and try shaking it out.

I think I will do that tomorrow. But I was planning on going for a ride tonight with some friends and as long as it’s not an issue then it’ll be left in there for tonight 

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, phanomenal07 said:

I think I will do that tomorrow. But I was planning on going for a ride tonight with some friends and as long as it’s not an issue then it’ll be left in there for tonight 

go for it. it'll be fine.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

4 hours ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

I'm curious if that response came from Nels or someone else at 2WDW. I can't imagine Nels saying that. Reason being that a  couple of years ago, 2WDW was surprised when they hit their highest HP yet with the Akra Ti with the baffle out. You had to run premium gas but it was getting 2 HP bump from the baffle being out. Here's the original posting on that:

https://fz07.org/thread/4910/fz-07-akrapovic-ti/

I think he's referring to the normal Akra and Yoshi systems. I think the Ti is in its own category. I feel like the Ti might be over restricted just like the stock system, so removing the baffle lets it flow a bit better. I might be totally wrong but it makes sense to me 🙃

I think it's important to note the term that was used by 2WDW was "better performance," not highest power.

I'm pretty certain that the best high-end power can be had with the baffle out, but that best all-around performance would be best with the baffle in.

6 minutes ago, sansnombre said:

best high-end power = best all-around performance

Just feeling the need for speed 😁

Truth be known, for the last 7000 miles I am constantly amazed at how well my FZ runs with the 2WDW flash, stock exhaust, snorkel removed, R6 throttle tube, and a MWR air filter - super smooth and punchy

Is it just me or does the fz sounds exactly the same with the baffle in or out. I just installed the baffle and I can’t tell the difference.

“Correct. We build the mapping to run right in between optimal for baffle in/out to allow riders to be able to switch back and forth without reflashing. The bike will perform better at all RPM ranges, but it will be most noticeable at light throttle/cruising.” This is what 2wdw said about the performance difference with the baffle in

6 hours ago, phanomenal07 said:

“Correct. We build the mapping to run right in between optimal for baffle in/out to allow riders to be able to switch back and forth without reflashing. The bike will perform better at all RPM ranges, but it will be most noticeable at light throttle/cruising.”

If that's true, that sucks unless they give you the option for one or the other, as in there are separate maps for in, out , or in between.

43 minutes ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

If that's true, that sucks unless they give you the option for one or the other, as in there are separate maps for in, out , or in between.

I’m not worried about it. I just threw the baffle in. I can say that I definitely felt the difference when riding with it in.

Has anyone run the Akrapovic Carbon without a tune? Any issues?

Seeing as i'm going with the Akrapovic instead of the Lextek exhaust AND going with 2WDW instead of Vcycle, there's a bit of an increase in cost for all these things. So i was thinking get the exhaust first, run it or not (depending on if it's damaging to do so or not) THEN get the tune. No sense in tuning now for stock exhaust only to have to send it out again to re-tune. I know myself though. If i KNOW that exhaust is nearby and can easily be installed in an afternoon, i'm going to have a hard time resisting the installation. If there's minimal issues with running the exhaust without a tune, i will for the time being. A tune is a must for me though.

I run the Akra carbon without a tune, BUT the ECU has been reflashed ( before) which supplies more fuel than the airy stock afr. It has been problemless ( new word...like it...it's your's)

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived