The MT-07 Forum

Another FZ-07 track build.

prospeed44

I like it !. Let me get thru the Xmas money pit and i'll see where i'm $$$ wise . How much for either option ?.

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, Davidc45- said:

I can make quality fiberglass pieces. The carbon would require a bag set up.

PM sent-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member
On 11/27/2018 at 8:23 PM, prospeed44 said:

Think i'll buy the Suspension for mortals dvd . 

the whole series should be up on Youtube for free.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Ok , i'm back 😀 . It's been so bloody cold here and snowing !!!. I,m used to NZ weather or SoCal .

Finally got back to my detached ice box/garage and got some more done . Installed the GVE's and performed the damper rod mod . Also fitted the preload adjusters purchased off fleabay . Motorex 15wt synthetic fork oil and set up for a 200lb lardass . Braided lines front and rear . Good old fashioned racing number plates circa 1975 . Reflashed ECU is on , clipons and adjustable collapsing levers . New chain , sprockets with 520 gearing . @ cameras on the way for vanity purposes and i bought a V4 lap timer which should get here in a couple of weeks . I also fitted some new/old bridgestones . I have strange handling tastes - i fitted a 125/60/17 front slick. This profile transitions very quickly to full lean which is what i like - it's not for everyone but it worked for me on my ZX10 . It may be a different story on this horsepower challenged velocipede . Just in case i fitted a 190 on the rear lol . Both these tyres are 10 years old !!!. However they have lived in the basement at room temperature in their original wrapping since i bought them . They are my last new set . They softened up nicely with warmers today so ....

I just need to drill and lockwire everything now and get a belly pan from @Davidc45- and i think i'm ready for the first scheduled track day in may .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, prospeed44 said:

can't seem to attach pics 🙁

We have to have pics!!!! C'mon how are we supposed to snoop around all the parts for idea's?😀

• Premium Member
cornerslider

I like what you've done there..... How did the GVE install go?

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member
On 10/21/2018 at 12:25 AM, prospeed44 said:

Well after retiring , liquidating my shop in SoCal and moving to beautiful New Mexico to live out my senior years it seems i couldn't leave well enough alone . I happened upon a damaged 2015 FZ-07 and thought - "that'd make a fun track bike !!". The previous owner had made a valiant effort to cut a u-turning sedan in half and had come up somewhat short - not as short as the wheel base on his FZ-07 - but close. I picked it up for a fair price and immediately started ordering parts . 

The mandate for this build is to keep it close to street legal . I'm not trying to build a championship winning motorcycle . After years of  racing Ohlins suspended motorcycles i am used to and want something that handles . I haven't ridden a twin since my duck days but reading up on this model it seems it has plenty of torque and more than adequate power so i'm going to leave the engine alone. Not interested in race fairings - again just want a track day or occasional race day bike. 

First order of business was to build a rudimentary  work  bench . I'm too old to work on my hands and knees. There is so much great and useful information 1050146440_variostablet492.thumb.jpg.041cccde1c8b835112d4d08a36e16c0d.jpgthis site !!. I ordered up a cbr600rr shock, after market rear sets , front stem stand , stock forks , swingarm spools , case savers  and all balls steering head bearings to get started . It has an M-4 slip on which is fine for now . I'm selling stuff on Ebay to fund this build and hope to have the funds soon for  Ohlins cartridges , reflashed ECU with quick shifter and maybe a GPR steering damper . After that braided lines , maybe a brembo master , chain and sprocket kit etc . I'm going to keep a running $$ total . Once it's done and i'm happy with it i'll maybe race it to prove it's worth and then probably list it - or maybe not :))) - depends on how much fun i'm having . My wife isn't happy about me returning to the track lol . Beginning pics attached - any and all advice or tips appreciated.1038484127_variostablet488.thumb.jpg.6cd095a4ec71dc6879f2c51336676663.jpg

there's a section to sell items on here as well. let me know what youre selling and ill take a look.

Instal was super easy - but i hav'nt ridden it yet. It's still snowing here 😫

Good news matt , from pattonme contacted me so i'm shipping out the original forks to him tomorrow for his cartridge conversion so i'll a couple of options.

On 3/13/2019 at 3:01 AM, prospeed44 said:

Ok , i'm back 😀 . It's been so bloody cold here and snowing !!!. I,m used to NZ weather or SoCal .

Finally got back to my detached ice box/garage and got some more done . Installed the GVE's and performed the damper rod mod . Also fitted the preload adjusters purchased off fleabay . Motorex 15wt synthetic fork oil and set up for a 200lb lardass . Braided lines front and rear . Good old fashioned racing number plates circa 1975 . Reflashed ECU is on , clipons and adjustable collapsing levers . New chain , sprockets with 520 gearing . @ cameras on the way for vanity purposes and i bought a V4 lap timer which should get here in a couple of weeks . I also fitted some new/old bridgestones . I have strange handling tastes - i fitted a 125/60/17 front slick. This profile transitions very quickly to full lean which is what i like - it's not for everyone but it worked for me on my ZX10 . It may be a different story on this horsepower challenged velocipede . Just in case i fitted a 190 on the rear lol . Both these tyres are 10 years old !!!. However they have lived in the basement at room temperature in their original wrapping since i bought them . They are my last new set . They softened up nicely with warmers today so ....

I just need to drill and lockwire everything now and get a belly pan from @Davidc45- and i think i'm ready for the first scheduled track day in may .

Only an antique would have an old 125/60 in the shed. I spose you've got a Britton in the basement too? I should have known, lol. 

Love the old 80's AMA superbike look too.

Edited by mossrider

lmfao !! i had to sell the britton to buy the lap timer 🤨 !!!.

I'm old , but not quite an antique . I did pick up some sponsorship from Depends tho !! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, mossrider said:

I spose you've got a Britton in the basement too? I should have known, lol.

LMAO!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Well out of the blue @pattonme got in touch so i fired off my spare lowers to him for a cartridge conversion , with the zx6 sliders so i'll be able to put the clipons above the top triple tree . 

I also picked up a new toy - garage find 851 strada . Been sitting over 10 years so that'll be a long project !!.

851 006.jpg

851 008.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
prospeed44

Sorry nothing to report for a while but finally racing season is here !!!. Booked in for a track day this saturday then if everything is in the ballpark i'ii maybe enter some races sunday . Spent a day safety wiring everything and double checking everything is tight and torqued . A little nervous as i have never ridden this bike other than up and down the street . Haven't been to the track in 5 years and when i tried my leathers on the other day , with back protector and internal thigh protection i barely got them on !!. Not a lot of movement when sitting on the bike . Hopefully they will give a little !!.

Matt Pattone has got my forks done with the cartridges and shipped yesterday , unfortunately too late to install for this weekend . He is super busy so i appreciate him getting them done .

• Like 2

Just take it easy and have some fun. Get your toes wet before you wade out before you head for the 3 meter board. Excited for you, our first race weekend is this coming weekend too.

prospeed44

Hey mossrider , good luck this weekend - it's all about the grin factor . I'm excited !!.

• Like 1